The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figure that i'm the only one who has this and it was actually discovered by accident. i'm not even sure what to call the part that has the problem. (header panel i think)

the part i'm talking about is the top black trim of the windshield. this part is only exposed from an exige if you remove the interior trim piece which i believe is held on with 3 screws. this is the first step i think in removing your hard top if you have one.

upon removing this piece for the first time ever after getting my car, there were gouges on both sides of the trim that were hidden. :mad: like something had hit it and pushed the plastic in.

now i'm sure to some members, this shouldn't matter and i shouldn't worry or whine about it since it can be covered up, but it kind of makes me angry nonetheless. sure it's "purely cosmetic" but so is the paint on our cars.

i don't have pictures of it since i just got my car back from service and they installed the piece back on but i'll get some up soon. Lotus refuses to cover it under warranty saying that the "header panel is completely covered by the headliner trim piece when all components are installed properly. this is purely cosmetic and has no effect on any sealing or other operation of top or related components. Lotus will not cover scratched Trim pieces as this is not a defect."

now any time i decide to take the hard top off and go for a drive, i'll see it everytime.

and i was charged by my dealer $46.13 for looking at it.

any comments?

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would figure an elise owner without the hard top would get plenty annoyed.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I have two, what I thought were gouges or melted pieces, on each side of my Elise rail (I'll take a picture later) that turned out to be just where the rail protection film is stretched/pressed sideways. Don't know if that is what you are talking about or not. Used to bug me until I realized that there probably wasn't any other way to stretch that film in the 3 seconds that Pierce took at the factory to put the film on.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I don't know if this is what you are referring to or not but here is what I have on mine. It is just in the protection film itself. I have another piece of the film and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to install, but I don't do it for a living... No one else has noticed them in my car.

DSCN2226.JPG

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
In the picture all the black is the protection film and what looks more gray is the rail itself. The film covers basically everywhere that the hardtop and panel would touch.

This is what bothers me the most about this situation:
and i was charged by my dealer $46.13 for looking at it.
If it is just your film (my new piece cost less than $20 shipped) they should have just said so and :tadts: to you and sent you on your way smiling... :shrug:.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I think Pierce is only given 1.5 minutes per car to put the protection film on at Hethel. He tries his best to get it all smooth before the whole crew heads for the pub.

Or maybe he's doing the install after getting back from the pub...

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if this is what you are referring to or not but here is what I have on mine. It is just in the protection film itself. I have another piece of the film and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to install, but I don't do it for a living... No one else has noticed them in my car.

View attachment 81420
i guess since it's on the driver side. i have it on both sides and i'm sure my passengers will notice.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I've got it on both sides as well. The passenger side is just the mirror image of the above picture. I guess everyone who has been in the car with me has been so busy praying for their safety that they just haven't noticed the little quirky details :shrug:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts