The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched the qualifying, amazing results. It's going to be a great season if the field continues to be this competitive and closely matched.

Congrats to Brawn who has more poles in 2 races than Honda had in 53.

I'm with Vettel in hoping for rain. Really shake things up a little and see how well the drivers can drive in adverse conditions.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Rain should make it interesting. Maybe give Hamilton a fighting chance tomorrow. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Jarno Trulli is an animal. I hope he'll continue to stay competitive through the season.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I kinda love the field being all spread out, even though I'm a Mclaren / Hamilton fan. Can't wait to see what BS infractions the FIA give Mclaren / Hamilton this race.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Remember that Brawn is essentially the same team as Honda with the only difference in engine, Mercedes vs Honda. You think that's what the difference between the two, 2/2 in poles vs 0-1/53 poles?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember that Brawn is essentially the same team as Honda with the only difference in engine, Mercedes vs Honda. You think that's what the difference between the two, 2/2 in poles vs 0-1/53 poles?
That's not quite accurate. The difference in car is quite telling. Honda dumped a lot of money into developing the 09 car at the cost of skewering their 08 season. While the engine is all new, the car itself is all new too. Also you need to consider that the drivers themselves are performing better as they feel revitalized with a new start.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What I mean to say is that since Honda was the one who invested on the 09, so technically the car (minus the engine), the drivers, the engineers, everyone is Honda, my opinion would be that if Honda didn't bail out, do you think they would have achieve the same result with the Honda engine? Or Mercedes engine is the one that is the X factor?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I mean to say is that since Honda was the one who invested on the 09, so technically the car (minus the engine), the drivers, the engineers, everyone is Honda, my opinion would be that if Honda didn't bail out, do you think they would have achieve the same result with the Honda engine? Or Mercedes engine is the one that is the X factor?
I'm not sure. I'm reasonably confident the engine makes some difference, but I think the time they invested in the car made a bigger difference.

One thing we can notice as the season progresses is how other teams catch up. The engine will be relatively stable, but I expect Ferrari and McLaren to make significant performance increases to the car as the season goes on. How much they improve relative to Brawn will give us some idea of how much of it was the head start Brawn had on the car development.

·
Registered
527 Posts
From my (uneducated) couch I think it is the Mercedes engine. But I guess we will never know 100%.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
From my (uneducated) couch I think it is the Mercedes engine. But I guess we will never know 100%.
Thing is though, their car is outperforming the other 4 cars with the Mercedes engine (including the world champion), so I don't think it's just the engine. =)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
While the race is suspended... I'd like to note two things:

1) I'm really peeved that Speed has to run the audio for their commercials at 20dB louder than the race audio
2) Every other show on Speed sucks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...time to look for the torrent...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Eckelstone outsmarts himself...

runs race at prime monsoon time for the European TV market and we get to see half a race. Along with the Speed commercials repeating every 8 minutes or so--a big disappointment!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
:mad:

·
Registered
487 Posts
runs race at prime monsoon time for the European TV market and we get to see half a race. Along with the Speed commercials repeating every 8 minutes or so--a big disappointment!
+1 !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts