The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to install a used gPan this weekend, but I'd like a bit of advice as I'll be in a friend's shop and want to be fully prepared. My understanding is that I should not need to modify any parts and the dipstick will function normally. Is this correct?
Also how much oil will I need? I can't find a new capacity listed. This is the original gPan.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The only piece I had to modify was the plastic flywheel inspection cover... since the g3Pan bolt flange is thicker than stock. Simple to do with a dremel.

If I recall correctly, It took 6 quarts, with a new filter.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The only other thing you'll need is an oil pan separator tool as the FIPG (form in place gasket) is pretty sticky stuff. I had to use one to cut through the seal then smacked it enough with a hammer and pry bar to get it off. Just be sure you don't scratch/damage the block when you remove the old one.

And yeah, you'll have to modify or remove the flywheel cover.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You will not need to modify the dipstick. The oil capacity should be around 6qts. PM me if you have any questions, but it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, This is about what I had expected. People are much more likely to give me lift time when they know I've planned things out. Hopefully, I'll get to come home with a shiny new gPan installed.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I’ve got a gPan2 that I will be installing next week or so. I’ve heard that there is a big production tolerance for the OEM stamped steel oil sump/pan and the oil pickup. Therefore there can be a large gap between the bottom of the sump/pan and the oil pickup. Measure the gap and set it between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. This will require either an oxy-acetylene torch or a custom spacer between the engine block and the oil pickup tube…either one will take some time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why get a used? Will there has any issue when it was uninstalled?
It was about half the price, and the primary concern is replacing the modified stock pan from an old turbo installation. As this is a streetcar, the abosolute best is not needed. And it looks very clean.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've found no damage except a few very minor tool marks. I don't expect the stock pan to fair as well when I take it off. I checked it out well, but it is a remount-able part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts