The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I had previously installed a gpan2 from sector and realized recently that the gasket seal has developed a small slow leak. Not much of an issue, but bugs me knowing it's there. I can't seem to get the pan off if it was life or death. I previously used hondabond when installing. I have read through some threads of people having issues of getting the oem pan off, and all the tricks with the spots to pry and using a putty knife. I have tried a rubber mallet as well.
Anyone have any hints? I am was wanting to replace the gasket fresh an change the oil, but am stuck at the moment.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried warming it up first and then tapping with a mallet?
I have not tried that yet would it work though? Only reason i ask is, dosent the engine get hotter than I would be able to get it? The hondabond I used was also a high temp. I'm sitting here staring at my car with a beer in my hand about 99% defeated, and I am a huge diy'er. I'm gonna try anyway. The gpan just seems harder to separate than the own pan because of how think the mounting plate and it dosent help how soft it is being aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I used a box knife to cut the gasket goo between the pan and the block. I was very careful to avoid scarring the surface. Start at the corners, they are the easiest point to begin. Then there is a specific tool (It looks like a putty knife on steroids), which you tap in where you have cut the gasket goo, and then start to carefully pry the pan off. The right tools make it easier. I had tried to remove the pan for two hours before I went out and got the right tools. Five minutes after I had the right tools, the pan was off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a box knife to cut the gasket goo between the pan and the block. I was very careful to avoid scarring the surface. Start at the corners, they are the easiest point to begin. Then there is a specific tool (It looks like a putty knife on steroids), which you tap in where you have cut the gasket goo, and then start to carefully pry the pan off. The right tools make it easier. I had tried to remove the pan for two hours before I went out and got the right tools. Five minutes after I had the right tools, the pan was off.
I true using a box cutter to get in between the pan and the block and it just seems like there's not even enough room to fit a razor blade.....

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
If your going to remove it completley then put some acetone on a qtip and work it in till it softens with a razor. Hondabond is geat stuff but hard to get off. I have a slight leak like a drop on the edge every 2 weaks. I just wipe it off. Never enough to cause a drip.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's just a rubber gasket?

If there is a gasket you don't use RTV, HondaBond, etc, etc, etc, other than if it specs it in the service manual or a very very thin layer if you need to "glue" the gasket down so you can put the part together.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It's just a rubber gasket?

If there is a gasket you don't use RTV, HondaBond, etc, etc, etc, other than if it specs it in the service manual or a very very thin layer if you need to "glue" the gasket down so you can put the part together.
Have you looked at the specs for the 2ZZ?

There is no gasket between the block and the oil pan. The specs advise using Toyota's FIPG (form in place gasket) which for all intents and purposes is the same as Hondabond or Permatex, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If there is not enough room to get even a thin razor blade in there, the installer did not let the gasket material skin over before they applied the pan and torqued down. You may have to get two box knives. Start at a corner, tap the back edge of the box cutter blade to lightly wedge it in (which increases the gap to a single blade thickness). Then, use the second box cutter to actually start cutting the exposed gasket. Once you get enough cut, then use the industrial strength putty knife (okay, the oil pan removal tool) to get you the rest of the way.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
What you want is an oil pan separator tool:

Amazon.com: Engine Oil Pan Gasket Seal Separator Remover Tool: Home Improvement

I'm pretty sure I have mine still from a thread I posted a while back:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/oil-pan-separator-tool-who-wants-100566/

I'd run it for a few minutes to warm it up and use the separator tool. Know there is also a gasket you can get instead of using the FIPG/Hondbond crap. It was a bit tricky to get it to stay in place as I put the new pan on but in the end I think it's much better than all the goo (where you can miss a spot and perhaps have a leak...)

Fel-Pro OS30705C FelPro Gasket : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
OP said the gasket was leaking, so I assumed there was a gasket there. :cool:

Have you looked at the specs for the 2ZZ?

There is no gasket between the block and the oil pan. The specs advise using Toyota's FIPG (form in place gasket) which for all intents and purposes is the same as Hondabond or Permatex, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts