The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous years winners have gone on to Podium finishes in Le Mans!

The driving physics are incredible as well as the tracks.

Is anyone playing? My best place so far is in the ~500 range. But i'm consistently around 5000

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i don't think i've even opened my copy of GT5 yet.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
DAMMIT PEOPLE, don't make me buy a PS3

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
350 Posts
be careful... sim racing is a slippery slope, especially when you're bored in the offseason!! case in point:

... and yes, that's a boxster spyder poster on the wall - i didn't have a lotus at the time, and it was free :)

... back on topic, i know the last winner (bryan heitkotter), been dodging cones with him for years. his pedigree extends well beyond the PS3 - he's literally been sim racing since the early 90's, and is a very accomplished iRacing competitor. great guy, one of the best in our sport, always hoped he'd catch a break and so happy he finally did. couldn't have happened to a better person.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's what I was going to say! These winning guys, a great deal of them, are REAL racers who just SIM to keep things going off-track.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
How's the G27 wheel?

I'm looking for a wheel to replace my Driving Force Pro, and wanted something at least compatible with PC and PS3 (though XBOX 360 would be good too), and was looking at the Fanatec CSR, or the Thrustmaster T-500, or the G27... I'm also making my own realistic pedals rather than use the potentiometer plastic pedals.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i like it a lot, especially for the price i paid (i got in on that $150 "bank error in your favor" amazon deal a few years back). it's a lot quieter than the G25, since it has helical gears, not straight cut. the force feedback can be as much (or little) as you want, depending on how you configure it in-game. i added a hydraulic brake pedal (Perfect Pedal), but the spring-loaded potentiometer-based G27 pedal was fine, too. i just wanted to match the feel closer to my lotus so that it was an easy transition from sim to real life, so i can understand your thinking :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
how real does your setup, with the clutch etc feel? How much did the seat+pedals+clutch+wheel cost?

·
Registered
350 Posts
how real does your setup, with the clutch etc feel? How much did the seat+pedals+clutch+wheel cost?
tough to duplicate the "butt-in-seat" feel without g-forces and the tactility of being in a moving car, but it's still useful - especially for concentrating on the line, and racecraft.

obutto seat/frame was about $400. G27 came with the wheel/pedals, and cost $150 (should be able to get a used one that cheap now, but new ones are still over $200 last i checked).

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm using Honda S2000 pedals, an Acura brake master cylinder and a Suzuki GSXR 1000 front 4 piston caliper for a real hydraulic feel. I can change the material between the brake pads to change the compliance and feel of the braking. I'll use a BMW pressure sensor for the signal to the PC. I'm also using a Jaguar throttle cam and return spring with a cable for real throttle feel. Since the clutch pedal is digressive, it should feel real. I'm trying to decide between just adding a spring or using a complete Acura clutch system from my car for a realistic feel...

Should be interesting... The pedal feel of the normal video game controllers was driving me nuts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DAMN! What I'd give for a setup like that. I have a $100 wheel and hate the ergonomics of my improvised mount and office desk chair.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got down to 1:32.88 ~611th place in the US

2 hours left to play and My steering wheel won't hold firmly to my desk. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i'm totally in next year!!! What position do you need to aim for to attend the academy?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome! Congrats. I'm down to. 32.673 and 501st place. I know I have a few tenths left if I can stop getting frustrated

·
Registered
417 Posts
Top 32 moves on to the next part of the competition. It's so hard to nail all of the corners just right in one lap! It'll be looking good half way through, then SCREW UP! Ha. I know I could get under 1:32.00 if I could just get lucky and nail all the turns in one lap..

gt3guru, what's your username?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome! Congrats. I'm down to. 32.673 and 501st place. I know I have a few tenths left if I can stop getting frustrated

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only the to 32 go to the next round. 16 advance. Not sure who gets to travel.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Do any of these games support 3d yet, and if so does it actually add to the realism? My problem with racing games has always been depth perception, and misjudging when to turn in. I end up having to focus on the hood of the car in order to stay on the track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts