The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our company has a niche-specific newsletter that we publish and sell.

Between 8 to 16 pages per issue, 6 times per year.

The newsletter has had the same basic design for quite a while and it's time for a refresh, new logo design, new layout style, new fonts, etc. Basically a whole new and updated look.

We're also transitioning from 2-color to 4-color printing.

Was wondering if anyone here does graphic design professionally and would be willing to provide some samples of previous work and a quote for a redesign, once I give the specs.

We currently lay out for print in Adobe Pagemaker 7.

I'd rather support an L-talk member then an unknown entity.

PM me if this floats your boat.

Q

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Q,

I may be able to help you. My portfolio can be viewed at JacobTom.com. One issue will be Pagemaker. Most designers moved away from Pagemaker in the mid 80's to Quark and are now using InDesign. I don't even think you can run Pagemaker on the newer computers. Another option is The Stig (aka Neil) who also does excellent design work.

Cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
As an 18 year veteran of the graphic arts industry, I can assure you that QuarkXPress does not blow. From the late 80s through the early 2000s, they had nearly 100% of the serious pro market locked up. Their product and the range of add-ons, plug-ins and support tools were superior to anything else available, especially for large-volume operations. What sucked was Quark's customer service. Their inability to listen to the users and treat them with even a tiny shred of respect drove nearly all of us to InDesign, even before the app was fully baked. The newest version of the XPress app has made up a significant portion of the feature gap with ID CS3, but the bad taste remains.

RageMaker, on the other hand, blows chunks. Always has.

Jacob: nice work!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
As an 18 year veteran of the graphic arts industry, I can assure you that QuarkXPress does not blow. From the late 80s through the early 2000s, they had nearly 100% of the serious pro market locked up. Their product and the range of add-ons, plug-ins and support tools were superior to anything else available, especially for large-volume operations. What sucked was Quark's customer service. Their inability to listen to the users and treat them with even a tiny shred of respect drove nearly all of us to InDesign, even before the app was fully baked. The newest version of the XPress app has made up a significant portion of the feature gap with ID CS3, but the bad taste remains.

+1

... I use Quark on a daily basis. It is one of the best programs in the world if you know how to use it. the possibilities are extensive. IMO indesign isn't very good. Quark is a very expensive program though.

RageMaker rotflrotflrotfl

Neil

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quark blows... :D
Was a joke (notice the smiley).

I use PM7, because that's what we have. We don't really do enough complex stuff to justify the switch to Quark. We're mostly a text company with boring information to disseminate.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
nice work!
Thanks Andy

I use PM7, because that's what we have. We don't really do enough complex stuff to justify the switch to Quark. We're mostly a text company with boring information to disseminate.
Information can be boring (although it doesn't have to be IMO), but design should never be. At this time in the game I would not recommend moving to Quark. InDesign works so seamlessly with Photoshop and Illustrator it's kind of a no brainer. I didn't mean to be disrespectful with my comments about PM. Just that it will be hard to find a quality designer that still uses it.

Also PDFs are pretty universally accepted and preferred, so your printers don't have to support InDesign to use it.

And yes I do like orange

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey Jacob

I'd like to second AndyKeck's compliment.

Your work is very good.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
If you don't have enough options already, Robbie on here I believe does that for a living, works very reasonable, and may be the poorest member here besides me. lol.
He goes by YeahIknowIam.

Edit: Nice site knucklehead. Orange is the official color of wonderfullness.lol. I like the Ump commercial.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts

Jacob: nice work!
+1 on all accounts. :up:

Very kind of you to give LotusTalkers the opportunity to do this work!

·
Registered
542 Posts
hey qball

i agree with earlier comments about QuarkXpress, they've stepped up the program lately and there is a lot that can be accomplished with a good designer's hand and eye. sounds like you already have some possibilities above. i'm a print AD with a few decades (even pre-computers) work.

best of luck,
t. a.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Robbie on here I believe does that for a living, works very reasonable, and may be the poorest member here besides me. lol.
He goes by YeahIknowIam.

Edit: Nice site knucklehead. Orange is the official color of wonderfullness.lol. I like the Ump commercial.
Doesn't he own an Exige? Don't you have an Elise. You guys are the poorest members?rotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

I vote for Neil or Jacob, both true artists and good guys.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
hi'm a print AD with a few decades (even pre-computers) work.
Nice. I miss the hands on work now and again. So much so that tomorrow I'm going to hand over a check for an Intertype C3 that I'm going to be setting up in my shop. As part of the deal I'm also taking a 10x15 Kluge Automatic and maybe a Miehle Vertical.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice. I miss the hands on work now and again. So much so that tomorrow I'm going to hand over a check for an Intertype C3 that I'm going to be setting up in my shop. As part of the deal I'm also taking a 10x15 Kluge Automatic and maybe a Miehle Vertical.
Practically gave away an EHD (14x22 IIRC) with foil last fall. Did Give away a Miehle V-52 and tons (literally) of type, galleys, etc. They're across town at a buddies shop, along with a pair of windmills, a Vandercook, and many, many more galleys of type...the hands on work is fun. Cut my teeth on a clapper many moons ago, before I realized my hands were better used on the keyboards than feeding paper single sheet at a time :huh:

Threadjack off...

WW

1 - 20 of 22 Posts