The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i hope you realize that's WAAAAAY over the market right now. Most cars are selling for 6-8 over brand new.

I'm a buyer at 45.

-Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Most cars are selling for 6-8 over brand new. <<<

Or less.

If I'm not mistaken, this exact car *itself* was purchased at a premium, so perhaps the high asking price is trying to cover that AND make some more money on top of it.

In the end, you can't fool the market though!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Gosh Eliseowner, that didn't last long.
BTW> He paid over list for the car, so he'd have to get something to come out basically even, I think LOA sold the car for 53-54, plus tax.

Good luck.
Chris

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
unfortunately this isn't a fairy tale world where you can pay 20% over sticker for a car, drive it for 1300 miles, and then make a profit on it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
just curious why you are selling.....

·
Registered
687 Posts
If someone is actually dumb enough to pay more than 50% over the base MSRP for a used car that has a history of depreciating in the rest of the world, he/she certainly has that right to be dumb.

It's not like this is a rare Ferrari that has automatic long-term appreciating value. There are going to be over 2,000 of these on the streets in the first year. I suppose any markup won't be throw away money if you keep a "year one" Elise stored in a garage for a couple of decades and the Elise is regarded as a classic.

The good news is that if people like this exist, it certainly doesn't hurt the resale value of my car. :D

eliseowner2b: You should change your alias to eliseowner. After you sell your car, you should change it to formereliseowner. :p

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a deposit on another and plan on keeping that one so Ill keep my name as is for a while longer. If I don't sell this car I will keep it and still be a happy camper. :clap:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Good Luck. There certainly ARE people out there that are willing to pay a huge premium on an early example of one of the best handling, lightest, and currently severely underpriced road cars in the world!
I would reccomend listing the car in the LA Times for 20K over MSRP firm, trust me most of the ultra rich don't have the time or the inclination to worry about getting "on a list". After all it is your car and you can do what you want with it! If someone will eagerly pay 35K over on a slightly used Bentley Continental GT you are a slam dunk. We all know that these cars will be going up in price soon anyway.
Don't understand the apparent animosity some listers are displaying toward you.
I talked to Chris at Lamin-X today and purchased both smoked and clear turn signal covers and clear headlight covers for both my incoming Elise and my wifes 04 S4 Avant. Thanks for the heads up on his web site. He said he would be seeing you and Randy later today have fun in the Dragon's tail....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That auction ended early, so maybe he had an offer. Many people wait till the last minute to bid, so the fact that there were no bids may not indicate it wouldn't have sold.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
pinmagic said:
That auction ended early, so maybe he had an offer. Many people wait till the last minute to bid, so the fact that there were no bids may not indicate it wouldn't have sold.
I did check it every day, I think he pulled it on the day before it ended because he didn't want a last minute bidder for $55k with no reserve.

Edit
Or he didn't have resources to actually buy it and the dealer has it rotfl

·
Registered
687 Posts
More power to dp if he can find a dumb, impatient buyer. Like I said, people have the right to be dumb, and there are definitely plenty of them out there.

BTW, asking $20k more for a car with a base MSRP of $40k is slightly different than asking $35k more for a car with a base MSRP of $150k, is it not? ;)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
For some reason, I see the used Elise market collapsing shortly. It seems a VERY high percentage of owners are going to be selling them short term. I'm beginning to reconsider what I said before about them holding value! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts