The Lotus Cars Community banner

Gray or Grey

• Gray

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Grey

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • I get confused all the time, I use them interchangably.

Votes: 27 29.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gray is more widely accepted in the US.
Grey is more widely accepted in the UK.

Which version do you use?

EDIT From Wikipedia:
Grey became the established British spelling in the 20th century, pace Dr. Johnson and others,[99] and is but a minor variant in American English, according to dictionaries. Canadians tend to prefer grey.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Gray is the SI unit of absorbed radiation dose

·
Registered
240 Posts
Somewhere along the way, I picked up spelling things British... Therefore we have grey, colour, flavour, and shoppe (as in store). I think the words look cooler that way. I've been doing it that way for years.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Somewhere along the way, I picked up spelling things British... Therefore we have grey, colour, flavour, and shoppe (as in store). I think the words look cooler that way. I've been doing it that way for years.
I wouldn't bother commenting if I wasn't trying desperately to avoid an incredibly boring task at work but....

A (small) store in the UK is a "shop".
"Shoppe" is a very old spelling which is only used for effect.

Thus American tourists are lured into establishments calling themselves something like "Ye Olde Pie Shoppe" believing that the business has been selling food for hundreds of years -whereas the pies are no more than a couple of years old at best.

Oh - and I looked it up - the original Ancient British word was "graeg" - which had both an "e" and an "a" - hence the ambiguity.

OK - hitting the "Quickbooks" shortcut in three, two, one...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Grey is more widely accepted in the US.
Gray is more widely accepted in the UK.
Is it? I thought it was the opposite. My car is graphite "grey", however, I tend to use "gray" more often in other contexts. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Color or Colour :D

Yeah, we speak American English. Not real English. Plus our accent is way less cool, but to our advantage we can own guns and don't have 100 cameras trained on us on our way to work (think V for Vendetta) LOL!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I didnt know there was a "gray", isnt that grey in french?
I always do grey and there's no way I learnt american english in school. I still use colour. it just seems right.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Is it? I thought it was the opposite. My car is graphite "grey", however, I tend to use "gray" more often in other contexts. :shrug:
Its definitely Gray in US and Grey in UK...he had it backwards. :D
UKphil said:
Thus American tourists are lured into establishments calling themselves something like "Ye Olde Pie Shoppe" believing that the business has been selling food for hundreds of years -whereas the pies are no more than a couple of years old at best.
Two year old pies...yummy! :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You're right. US people use Gray. UK people use Grey.

On GroupLotus' website, it is called Graphite Grey.
On the USA Lotus Website, it is called Graphite Gray.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
This thread is ghey.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At some point I picked up the idea that grey was for cool (bluish) grey and gray was for warm (reddish/yellowish) gray.

Photographers and video professionals spell it with an "a" in grayscale.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's so like the Brits to take our language and butcher it!
i sincerely hope your joking, because every time ive been to the US i have heard comments that really were unbeleivable

"do you have computers in australia"
"is it really summer there when its winter here"
"Australia, isnt that in Europe"

so please tell me your joking

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just because you talked to 3 of the most ignorant people in the U.S., and they asked you some dumb questions, has nothing to do with the Brits butchering "our" language. Your comments are irrelevant to the previous post.

Anyhow, I use "gray"....but never "ghay"!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts