The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it has heated up here in AZ, I have been starting to get a greasy film on the inside of my windows that builds up very quickly every few days. It's difficult to remove, and comes back a day later. It really looks horrible.
Finding the best cleaning solution isn't the issue, I need to fix the cause. The previous owner did not smoke, so I'm thinking it might be a leak in the heater core? I have been using the AC, but I'm not sure that is the culprit. It only seems to be a problem now when it sits in the heat. Maybe the combination of both. It's getting ridiculous, and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this issue.

If it's the core, where is it and how do I fix it? There is no lotus service in AZ, except maybe for secret service motor works.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I experience this in the summertime here in Florida. I keep a microfiber cloth in my car to wipe it down when it gets bad. It could be a number of things off gassing from the heat.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I experience this in the summertime here in Florida. I keep a microfiber cloth in my car to wipe it down when it gets bad. It could be a number of things off gassing from the heat.:shrug:
It doesn't wipe off well with a microfiber cloth. It's very oily and streaks the window. It very well could be the dash, but after 9 years, it's unlikely it would still be producing plasticizers to coat the window.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It doesn't wipe off well with a microfiber cloth. It's very oily and streaks the window. It very well could be the dash, but after 9 years, it's unlikely it would still be producing plasticizers to coat the window.
That all depends on what environment it lived in before. The plasticizers won't outgass much at all if the dash is never in the hot sun. So once the environment changes they will start to do so. Also if someone used a bunch of armor all on it or other cheap "make it shiny" product that could be what is outgassing

Easy enough to figure out. Clean your windshield, cover dash with a towel or two, leave car in hot sun.

If the windshield ends up all greasy look to somewhere else, if not, you've found your source.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That all depends on what environment it lived in before. The plasticizers won't outgass much at all if the dash is never in the hot sun. So once the environment changes they will start to do so. Also if someone used a bunch of armor all on it or other cheap "make it shiny" product that could be what is outgassing

Easy enough to figure out. Clean your windshield, cover dash with a towel or two, leave car in hot sun.

If the windshield ends up all greasy look to somewhere else, if not, you've found your source.
I will try this. Dash is never cleaned with Armorall, but this is an easy way to eliminate that variable. I'll be happy if it's not something more... sinister.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
As Deja Vu said, its out gassing or armor all on the dash.

Clean the dash with denatured alcohol. Clean the window with strait up vinegar.

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
TADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTSTADTS

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
You can't use an ammonia-based glass cleaner on this stuff. That will just move it around.

Use a vinegar-based product.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Same here minus the cleaning with micro fiber ( so maybe not the same ), I think its biological like plant related. Do you park under any trees?

My wife had this on a rav4 and we had to use turpentine to get it off. That may hurt some windows...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
One of the most common causes is using armor all on the dash. However it's spelled.
I have owned my Elise since new. 26K miles. 24 hours a day stays covered in garage at home, when not driven.

It did it day one, it does it now. Greasy/film bottom of windshield on inside.

Car has never been washed by anyone but me. Never put armor all.

TADTS:UK:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.