The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me compliment Miller. Wow, what a facility. 40-50 foot wide track, featuring a great combination between technical and momentum.

The day started with Track Orientation, Rider/Driver Evaluation (TORDE), a very comprehensive classroom/ safety briefing, van drive, and a couple laps with an instructor to make sure you know which way to point the car.

There were five 20 minute sessions in all, one cut short by a poor M3 owner who stuffed his brand new car into the wall just before the straight. Again, the track layout is superb, and you have to be going way hot to hit anything. I feel for the guy.

The Lotus was, in a word, superb. It more than held its own vs. everything out there. I want to thank Allen at Lotus of Beverly Hills for setting up the car perfectly. It couldn't have been better, and made me look a lot better than I am. Thanks Allen. This is all the better as I didn't come to Utah with the intention of hitting the track - I didn't know this place existed.

My first run session was on street settings (Lotusport Ohlins DA's) and it made a noticeable difference when I switched to track (again, thanks to Allen for mailing me the settings at the track.)

This is what my right rear looked like after one session. Keep in mind that that ALMS cars ran te day before and there was A LOT of clag left, as well as a lot of rubber down in various places, but very inconsistent as we were using half (the east side) of the 4+ mile facility:

It was nice to see the GTR arrive and run. Pretty cool car, but he went out a couple of places in front of me, and I never really saw too much, as he didn't lap me.

There were four other Lotus out there today, three were running the west course and one was running with the race prepared cars. Casey from Forcedfed was on hand dialing in a 375 kit on an Exige. Pretty cool.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend running Miller if you have the opportunity. Great track for a great car.

Now I need to get a new set of rears for the drive back to LA. (ordered).

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Were you there for the lapping days event or another event? I was going to be there yesterday but injured my back. Too bad I missed the day and too bad I missed meeting up with you.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you there for the lapping days event or another event? I was going to be there yesterday but injured my back. Too bad I missed the day and too bad I missed meeting up with you.
No, the lapping days event was on the west track, we were on the east - simply a Miller open track day event, not hosted by an outside company. Sorry about your back, and sorry we missed one another. Are you still in town?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
It was nice meeting you Alan, looks like you had fun:)

Ahhh Ron, I was sad when kp told me you weren't going to make it :sad:
Yeh, it sucked. I just couldn't make that 6 hr drive with my back the way it was. I've spent the last week getting an MRI, getting an epidural steroid injection and going to PT.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Miller was a good time....It was nice meeting everyone
Nice surprise seeing you out there Casey, even if you couldn't make my car go faster... :p (only due of course, to the fact he didn't have an extra kit with him...)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice catch at 2:49. Those F-cars looked like they were out for a nice Sunday drive. Nice driving!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Miller and Alan created a sort of surreal moment when Alan called me from the track during the ALMS races. I did not recognize the cell number and answered "hi." Only to hear blaring over the background PA "blah blah CHASECAM... CHASECAM... blah...CHASECAM." I was like WTF?

So then Alan comes on the phone to say that the last 5 minutes the only thing being discussed over the public PA system was ChaseCam. :) lol Which is pretty cool for me.

Thanks Alan. That made my day. Glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Alan, what kind of times were you running on the East course?

Here's a couple of laps of me there last year.
ferraripasses
YUM - Ferrari's for lunch! Great driving. There were a couple of instances where I also had to reign it in at "Maybe y'll make it" (or was it "satisfaction?") but in each instance it was the car telling me to let some pressure out of the tires, which I did.

I didn't have any sophisticated timing device - just my watch, so I may be off, but it looked like between 1:57 and 2:00. Sound about right? :shrug: That went away by the 5th session, when my tires were shot. I left the track and ordered new rears on the ride back to Salt Lake. Tires went on today.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Miller and Alan created a sort of surreal moment when Alan called me from the track during the ALMS races. I did not recognize the cell number and answered "hi." Only to hear blaring over the background PA "blah blah CHASECAM... CHASECAM... blah...CHASECAM." I was like WTF?

So then Alan comes on the phone to say that the last 5 minutes the only thing being discussed over the public PA system was ChaseCam. :) lol Which is pretty cool for me.

Thanks Alan. That made my day. Glad you had a good time.
Haha - that was surreal, starting for me when I was just standing there and "Randy Chase" and "Chasecam" began filling my ears. I'm like, "I'm in Utah, in the middle of nowhere, and here's Randy." Pretty serious and well-deserved exposure there, Randy. This was during ALMS qualifying, so you had center stage. :clap:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
YUM - Ferrari's for lunch! Great driving. There were a couple of instances where I also had to reign it in at "Maybe y'll make it" (or was it "satisfaction?") but in each instance it was the car telling me to let some pressure out of the tires, which I did.

I didn't have any sophisticated timing device - just my watch, so I may be off, but it looked like between 1:57 and 2:00. Sound about right? :shrug: That went away by the 5th session, when my tires were shot. I left the track and ordered new rears on the ride back to Salt Lake. Tires went on today.
That sounds about right. I run a tad faster but only because I have one of those spinnee things that blows cold air into the combustion chambers.:D

Miller's a great track and we need to get more Lotus foks familiar with it. I'm glad you had such a good time and sorry again that I didn't get a chance to come down and meet you.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Attached is Part1 of my interview with Alan Wilson, who designed Miller Motorsports Park.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Attached is Part 2 of the same interview.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My pleasure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts