1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice job dealing with a dicey (or was that dodgy?) situation, thanks for sharing.

Just for future reference, are there any known sources for replacement or reliable repair of the ECU, particularly for the V8?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Great video. You are PERSISTENT! Another way to figure out misfires is with an IR thermometer or camera. Most would have stopped at the ECU, you were able to actually tear into it and fix it! While it is hard to find an ECU, there are repair stations that can fix them, usually they also do the GM ECU's. Make sure yours has the HTU upgrade. If it doesn't, it is worth getting. Don't worry, you are going to find lots of other things to fix and fettle with, I doubt you are done yet. Your video gives confidence that you can go into the ECU and do minor repairs.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys! It’s my video and I refuse to be beat by a relatively simple system. There’s a couple ways to diagnose this issue of course but usually opt for the method that most people have the means to follow.

i own and run a used auto parts facility and have a trained electrical repair tech in house, and some rather elaborate soldering and testing rigs for various videos. You can see some of those videos on that channel which is Pro-Rebuild.
I’d be willing to take on more of these repairs as the replacement costs are well, wallet killers.
It’s an esprit after all so I’m sure there will be more diagnosis and repair videos in the pipeline

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good to know there are options. Are the components surface mounted? Is it a multi-layer circuit board?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It was a very interesting video. I've had to do some similar (though not as electronically complex) repairs to my V8. They drive you crazy, but boy is is rewarding when you go through the problem methodically and fix it! Despite a couple confusing problems, it actually has been pretty reliable.

I also enjoyed watching your other video driving around. I clicked on it as a "random guy from random part of the country" video, but then the landmarks on highway 94 started to look rather familiar! I live in IL, but my family farm has been in Defiance for over 100 years.

Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts