The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a superb time!

Fun course (though a bit brutal on novices). I liked it a lot. I found I was really good at driving a Spyder getting down to 46 seconds. I don't think any stock car was that low. Just Oblenes in his prepared car, the kart, and the formula car. Maybe. That is kinda cool.

I found out I truly suck in karts, though I only had two runs in it, it was kinda difficult. The only good thing is, if you are going to spin and kill the engine, do it very close.

Thanks guys, looks like everything went very well.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, the water, sodas, and hamburgers were awesome. I nice touch. I heard a few compliments from people.

A lot of SCNAX Cup drivers learned how difficult it can be to drive an MR2 well, specially when it was running on 3 different brands of tires. :)

I should have used sunscreen at least once. :(

Traffic coming back south on I-15 was back up horribly. We spent an extra hour on it. There was a pretty bad crash.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I had a superb time!

I found I was really good at driving a Spyder getting down to 46 seconds. I don't think any stock car was that low.

I think John's S2000 was next fastest stock car. several different people doing 48's.

I think the Lynchs' SS Z06 was doing 45's and 46's yesterday, but most runs with cone counts.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Also, the water, sodas, and hamburgers were awesome. I nice touch. I heard a few compliments from people.

A lot of SCNAX Cup drivers learned how difficult it can be to drive an MR2 well, specially when it was running on 3 different brands of tires. :)

I should have used sunscreen at least once. :(

Traffic coming back south on I-15 was back up horribly. We spent an extra hour on it. There was a pretty bad crash.
Well we try to please people ;-)

I wanted to take a spin in the MR2, but we didn't do any fun runs. I would have loved to take your car for a run Randy. That thing was just dangerously fast! Okay, actually Oblenes car is dangerously fast, but yours is still pretty quick.

Our drive wasn't too bad, but then again we only had to go 55 miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great weekend... Even if I SUCK!!!

I didn't see the Lynch's going that fast. Leslie Cohen was running 46's usually with cones.

Randy was flipping fast in the Spyder. Would have been cool to have Kenny M. there to compare. All the attention seems to be on the Miata, but sometimes you'll see a guy like Chase really hustle a Spyder around.

I got to drive Puertas' M3 for the first time. And I sucked... But the car is really cool. I just never got a non-botched run in. Closest was the fairly conservative lap with Robert riding. All the laps were atleast 3 seconds slow (52's). I staring down STX DFL, if I don't get some focus.

Rode with O'Blenes.... What an E-Ticket.....

The bizarre thing was that my favorite runs were in the Intrepid... 54.2 in an SK2 (HS) car isn't bad. Especially, one that nobody in their right minds would wish to autox.... But on this particular course it really was a blast to drive. I was about two seconds off of Randy Chase's best CS times alloting the .950 street tire adjustment for SK2. Not a fair comparison, but besides Buttonwillow last year, my best run in relation to pax times of top national drivers.

Just how to shave 3 seconds off my M3 times.... Yikes..... Tire warmer roles are okay, but I'm supposed to be on Team Kegelmorder not Team Impeding Traffic...

I'd love to see the spreadsheet from the results are atleast the indivdual totals. Stacey is curious how she did.

Thanks to all for the great event, the great comraderie, the cold water!, and the M3 with the keys in it. Don't forget to thank Tava (Robert's mom) somehow.

BTW-We got home and the '60 Caddy fired right up and drove great, so one potential long night got easier.... Hmmm, Historic with an FS street tire pax???? Nah..... (4672 lbs, 325 gross HP)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great to have you SD guys up here this weekend. Leslie and Mark were up here yesterday, I think both of them got a few 46s too.

It takes a while to get used to karts...it's a different feeling vehicle. I think I did ok my first time in a shifter, but I'd already driven karts probably a few hundred miles between speedzone and dromo. I've been running a lot of grand prix events at dromo, you learn a LOT about making karts work. There's one tuesday night at 6:30, but that's got to be a big pain for an SD guy.

-la

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Conemangler said:
Great weekend... Even if I SUCK!!!

I didn't see the Lynch's going that fast. Leslie Cohen was running 46's usually with cones.

Randy was flipping fast in the Spyder. Would have been cool to have Kenny M. there to compare. All the attention seems to be on the Miata, but sometimes you'll see a guy like Chase really hustle a Spyder around.

I got to drive Puertas' M3 for the first time. And I sucked... But the car is really cool. I just never got a non-botched run in. Closest was the fairly conservative lap with Robert riding. All the laps were atleast 3 seconds slow (52's). I staring down STX DFL, if I don't get some focus.

Rode with O'Blenes.... What an E-Ticket.....

The bizarre thing was that my favorite runs were in the Intrepid... 54.2 in an SK2 (HS) car isn't bad. Especially, one that nobody in their right minds would wish to autox.... But on this particular course it really was a blast to drive. I was about two seconds off of Randy Chase's best CS times alloting the .950 street tire adjustment for SK2. Not a fair comparison, but besides Buttonwillow last year, my best run in relation to pax times of top national drivers.

Just how to shave 3 seconds off my M3 times.... Yikes..... Tire warmer roles are okay, but I'm supposed to be on Team Kegelmorder not Team Impeding Traffic...

I'd love to see the spreadsheet from the results are atleast the indivdual totals. Stacey is curious how she did.

Thanks to all for the great event, the great comraderie, the cold water!, and the M3 with the keys in it. Don't forget to thank Tava (Robert's mom) somehow.

BTW-We got home and the '60 Caddy fired right up and drove great, so one potential long night got easier.... Hmmm, Historic with an FS street tire pax???? Nah..... (4672 lbs, 325 gross HP)
Steve Allyson said the same thing about the Intrepid. She said it was a lot of fun to throw around, and that the size of the car wasn't really getting to her. I thought that was interesting. You did go pretty dang fast all things considered.

I would like to see the PAX results too. Of course one problem with them is that because of changing tarmac conditions, and heat conditions it isn't really fair to compare individual results in any one car. The only thing that is really meaningful is to look at the overall time. That being said I think that Allyson has one of the worst times because she spent most of her time breaking in our new Azenis. The same went for me, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Oh and I think the results will have to be posted on Yahoo until we can get a program written to allow us to upload files to Scnax.com.

Oh and Steve. You now are able to get an IS300. Allyson is willing to swear in a court of law that Stacey agreed to get an IS300. So I think you've got your permisison. So if she ever backs out, you've got a witness!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What a great weekend of auto-x'ing!!!!

I finally sorted out the suspension with the new rear swaybar. Although I coned at least half of all my runs, I did get a clean run of 49.127. :D And after driving Robert's M3 (without breaking it), I really think that it's the car to have in STX. I got a 49.6xx in the M3 and that was the one and only run in the M3. Hmm.....you want a co-driver for next year, Robert???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Norton

I also want to thank SCNAX for putting on a great event! This was my first time participating and I must say I had a blast! Lesson learned: walk the course before running or you’ll DNF. The slalom was hard to understand unless one walked it to know it was a slalom.

I tkink I recall your Spyder Randy, was it a black one? My 84 Celica, all stock, right down to its 254,000-mile 105BHP motor and 19-year old springs/sway bars ttuned a best at 56.something; the rest was 57’s – 60. Although I could use some handling upgrades I’m way down in the horsepower department. Too many places on the course left me wishing for more power. My nephew’s stock Z/28 turned a best of 53.9 +1. Question: each cone represents how much of penalty? I had to listen to him talk about his best of 53 seconds; I kept reminding him it was more like 55 seconds. Is a cone a 1- or 2-point penalty, or is it a penalty at all, sort of like “53 seconds plus 1 cone (wink)”

I want to beg for forgiveness. I didn’t stay to work the course in the afternoon. My problem is I live in South Orange County, work in LA Country, and have to be at work at 6:00 AM on Monday morning. If I ever do autocross again I’ll definitely schedule Monday off so I can participate 100%. Or run on Saturday only and work well into the afternoon or evening. I’m just real sorry I couldn’t stay until 18:00 or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stacey just read Chris' post about buying an IS300.....

She didn't deny it.... Unusual for her... And she is okay with me trailer shopping today alone.... Strange.... Must be the market up nearly 300....

Hey... When that Conemangler dude was announcing at the end, the VW Stationwagon was running. Impressed the hell out of me. Consistent 52's in a stock appearing stationwagon? I couldn't see the tires from the motorhome. It was #97. Who was it?

Also Pierre was clicking off a bunch of 47's (cones on most) in his yellow S2000. That seemed like a good improvement for him over what I'd seen earlier in the year.

Allyson just blew me away when she got the Intrepid up to speed so fast. Quite a few amazing performances.

I agree with Chris. BIG change from Saturday morning. Everybody in the SCNAX cup got screwed in there own cars which makes it kinda fun.

Stacey is pretty depressed about her Intrepid times. I was hoping for a fun run for her to run it again in better conditions. I think her IS300 times were decent. The MR2 scared her abit.

One of the coolest things for me though was running the M3, the Intrepid, and the Dakota on back to back to back laps. I don't why, it was just really cool to jump into three completely different cars and run... Especially after just riding a lap with Steve O'Blenes. If I hadn't been behind a lap in my group and hurrying, I was going to ask Art if I could get one lap in his car during that group.

I think Jay and I should have had one of you hot shoes drive our trucks one lap... Because we had our hands full... I'd like to know what a better driver would do to deal with it, or if we were just screwed trying to drive those at Norton on 340 treadwear tires. I could see where I could shave LOTS of time off the M3 if I would have had any skill... But the truck??? When I ran 55.0 and 55.1 back to back clean on Saturday, they were really solid laps and with my front damper problem (bounce bounce bounce), I just didn't see any way to improve beyond a few tenths here and there. Jay cracked into the 54's on Sunday.

OFF TO FIND A TRAILER!!!!
BTW-my neighbor is a Porsche racer. He came in about the same time we did last night while everybody was finding places to park there cars as our streets will be blocked off for two days. I was checking out his open trailer with a really cool full length tool box with side doors and a tire rack. That's exactly what I'd like to have since I can't afford and I can't tow the weight of an enclosed trailer. He got an 18 foot trailer, and the box sits mostly on the bed of the trailer making it effectively a 16ftr. The car just gets shoved back. I wonder how this effects tongue weight. If the box and tire rack were empty and the car is pushed that far back it seems like it might be a problem????
:confused:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Conemangler said:
OFF TO FIND A TRAILER!!!!
BTW-my neighbor is a Porsche racer. He came in about the same time we did last night while everybody was finding places to park there cars as our streets will be blocked off for two days. I was checking out his open trailer with a really cool full length tool box with side doors and a tire rack. That's exactly what I'd like to have since I can't afford and I can't tow the weight of an enclosed trailer. He got an 18 foot trailer, and the box sits mostly on the bed of the trailer making it effectively a 16ftr. The car just gets shoved back. I wonder how this effects tongue weight. If the box and tire rack were empty and the car is pushed that far back it seems like it might be a problem????
:confused:
Does he back the Porsche onto his trailer? Or is it a 944?

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a GT3 993. Unless he has a half ton of tool's in the box, I don't see how the set up works... I hadn't thought of the rear engine. The car was on the trailer straight on. Engine in back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A truly awesome event! I had loads of fun. A lot of firsts for me. First time doing registration. First time in a RWD in an Autox. First real spin out (MR2). First time meeting a bunch of people... all of whom were very cool. First time I was only 1 second (maybe slightly less) off Serge's best time (You know we'll hear from Serge now!) A great experience and an even better time hanging with fellow autocrossers. A really good time - thanks everyone! Looking forward to the next event.... TJ :)

BTW - I think we ladies showed you that we can certainly hold our own..... :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
yup, most certainly the BEST event i've been to so far, hands down. I had WAY too much fun. I don't think i can wait another year for the next SCNAX Cup!!!!!

First time i got to drive a RWD car too, the Lexus felt quite similar to my Protege, good thing it was an automatic, cause it's just too damn quiet :) i think i pulled a 51.7 in it.

The S2000 scared me on Sat, i took my last fun run in it and barely made it out of the loop before i looped....man that thing TURNS! but my first run on Sunday, i pulled a 49.xxx then a 48.6+1, i couldn't beleive it! then a 48.4, thanks to the perfect weight distribution with Gunnar in the car :) ....now, i'm in love with that car....just awesome.

and of course, the Art mobile, amazing how fast that car can be with the limited mods he's done on it. I think i was in the 51's in it as well. Never could get below a 52.2 in my own car though...wats up wit dat! but i did find out that i am a decent driver after all.

I knew i should have asked Steve or Jay for the keys, i had an urge all weekend to drive a truck....but after the ride along with Jay sunday afternoon, i think it would have beat me up, That truck needs some serious driver movement in the form of steering, Jay was damn near huffin and puffin at the finishline...:):)

Team Grrrl power, can't say enough, the ladies did phenominally well, i was truly impressed. GREAT DRIVING!!!!!!!

although the strangest thing happened on sunday, i looked over at my car and my roof mount antenna mast was gone....then my spiderman tenna topper was gone....then my cone feeler (valve extension) tweaked the rear passenger valve pretty bad, but thank god it didn't leak at all. Oh and also, both my passenger side CV boots exploded...was just a matter of time though...

well, all in all i had a BLAST every minute. OK, maybe not the 5 mins after my Nike swoosh/checkmark head butt i gave the EZUP.

a BIG THANKS to everybody who made it happen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Conemangler said:
It's a GT3 993. Unless he has a half ton of tool's in the box, I don't see how the set up works... I hadn't thought of the rear engine. The car was on the trailer straight on. Engine in back.
993 = 4WD, right? If so, there's some weight up front for the diff. Plus there's probably some extra cage weight up there since it's a dedicated race car...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts