The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my personal property tax bill for 2008. According to Chesterfield County, Virginia the value of my 2006 Elise has increased from last year by $5,000.:clap: And everyone was concerned about depreciation!:p

So, who want to buy my very special 2006 AW Elise w/ 15,000+ miles for the bargain price of $40,800! Based on this years assessment it should easily increase in value by another 15% next year!:crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Sadly, I'm not surprised. I am in the midst of still trying to settle my VA property tax disputes from last year.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Strangely enough, I got a check with no explanation from the VA DMV a week or so ago. (Although if I had to guess, it was due to the striking down of the transportation tax in NoVa.)

ed

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
i just got my ppt bill on my new tundra.... they think it's worth more than i paid for it a month ago. gotta love these market-based assessments. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've never heard of a personal property tax. You pay taxes on the value of your stuff? Every year?
That's right. Same here in Connecticut.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've never heard of a personal property tax. You pay taxes on the value of your stuff? Every year?
You get taxed when you earn the money, taxed when you spend it, and taxed again each year on what you bought.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Strangely enough, I got a check with no explanation from the VA DMV a week or so ago. (Although if I had to guess, it was due to the striking down of the transportation tax in NoVa.)

ed

That's probably the check they owe me. Virginia owes me about $300 back in property tax (even have noticed that they withheld my tax return as a result of the dispute), yet still sent my info to a creditor with a notice saying that I owe them $600. Yet another case of the left hand not speaking to the right, but the victim of their incompetence left being responsible for fixing their problems. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought a new construction house in NJ 4 years ago and in those years the property taxes have gone up 75% :eek:

I pay more in property taxes per year now than I did in mortgage at my old place. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If only Lotus would sell their cars at MSRP to loyal buyers, and then when it is traded in, to other buyers at the original MSRP. That means no Lotus can be purchased at MSRP unless you're a local Lotus enthusiast. Otherwise, the market commands a price higher than MSRP.

Isn't that how Ferrari works?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If only Lotus would sell their cars at MSRP to loyal buyers, and then when it is traded in, to other buyers at the original MSRP. That means no Lotus can be purchased at MSRP unless you're a local Lotus enthusiast. Otherwise, the market commands a price higher than MSRP.

Isn't that how Ferrari works?
That's EXACTLY how Ferrari works.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is this different from your DMV registration fees?

In SC you must pay the personal property tax to the county before you can renew your registration. My Elise was about $700 last year. Poorer counties seem to have higher tax rates, so I guess I'm lucky I'm not out in the boonies somewhere.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Dang. That's messed up. :eek:
Down here in Texas, we don't understand that crap either!
:crazyeyes

Dallas used to do ad valorem on autos - yes, the city. I remember being hit with it when I moved here and never paying. They eventually had to drop it since no one else paid either.
:clap:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
In SC you must pay the personal property tax to the county before you can renew your registration. My Elise was about $700 last year. Poorer counties seem to have higher tax rates, so I guess I'm lucky I'm not out in the boonies somewhere.
Are you kidding me? So this is different than your "house" property tax and different than your car registration?!

What other "property" do you have to pay tax on? That's insane! - And I'm from Taxafornia.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We have personal property taxes in WV, too. Of course the value of your car is going to go up; the higher the value, the greater the taxes, thus the more money the state generates. :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts