The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Tues, i drove 10 hrs from Portland OR to the SF Bay area with my new-to-me 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (w/ 3800 miles, Sport/Touring/extended Starshield). While i bought my Audio-Technical ATH-ANC3 noise-cancellation earplugs for an upcoming business trip to Europe, i tried them on the plane up to Portland and sat next to the 737's engine. The earplugs worked but i had expected more reduction (they're rated at 20db or "~85%" reduction ). I should note that i could not hear the pilot's announcements when the noise-cancellation was on.

However, they are much more effective in the Elise. After about 1 hr in the car on I-5 pavement, the road noise from the YokoA048's was deafening so i tried the earplugs. Amazingly, there was a much greater reduction in noise than what i experienced on the plane. Toggling the switch for the noise cancellation was like night-and-day. This was unexpected since the ANC3's are described as wide-frequency suppression units but seem more effective at the lower frequency range.

Obviously, when driving on asphalt, there was much less road noise than concrete so the plugs weren't as necessary.

BTW, the ANC3's were available from Amazon for $95 but i see that the price has crept up to 103.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
thats probably illegal cause you cant hear anything(tho you couldnt anyways and people with loud stereos cant hear anything either)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
thats probably illegal cause you cant hear anything(tho you couldnt anyways and people with loud stereos cant hear anything either)
+1

It's probably not a good idea (and illegal) to drive on public roads with any type of earplugs (with the exception of hearing aids)...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have added that you can hear most of the music coming from the radio. There are some odd cut-outs of sound (continuous tones in particular). And the road noise vastly reduced but its not dead silent so i don't think there is a real safety issue.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It's probably not a good idea (and illegal) to drive on public roads with any type of earplugs (with the exception of hearing aids)...
But starting July 1, cell phones must be hand free. So most will be driving with some form of earplug.

·
Registered
426 Posts
sounds like you need a louder exhaust so you dont hear all that dang road noise rotfl

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I wear earplugs most of the time when driving the Elan (it is very loud but the wind noise is just as bad) and will with the Seven as well, my hearing is worth more than the ticket. I was pulled over once in the Elan and forgot to take the earplugs out and the cop did not say anything.

You can get earplugs that are skin color so they are not so obvious. Besides, motorcyclists helmets cut the noise as much as earplugs (not to mention they can hide earphones inside), so it is a bit silly that earplugs are illegal. I can hear outside noises like sirens and horns better with my earplugs in.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
But starting July 1, cell phones must be hand free. So most will be driving with some form of earplug.
Haha good luck trying to enforce that law. It's been the law here in NY for years and every driver has a cel phone in their hand. I had to yelled at some chick in a Mercedes just yesterday talking on her phone not paying attention. I flip off every driver I see on a cel phone.

Needless to say my fingers getting tired.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Haha good luck trying to enforce that law. It's been the law here in NY for years and every driver has a cel phone in their hand. I had to yelled at some chick in a Mercedes just yesterday talking on her phone not paying attention. I flip off every driver I see on a cel phone.

Needless to say my fingers getting tired.
+1

A while ago I was nearly run over by some tool backing his car onto 6th Ave from 19th Street (against the light) while talking on the cellphone.

A Darwin Award is waiting for him someday...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
that'll be fantastic for the Lotus Stage II i installed last weekend :evil:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been considering this for a while - any good two-ear bluetooth (or even wired) noise cancelling earphones?

Stage2 + Snorkel Delete + Green Filter sounds awesome for about 20 minutes... after that my ears are ringing, so I can't really tell :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Unfortunately yes, had one back into the wife's car in a parking lot as we laid on the horn. Nowhere go since a car was behind me.

Their only response after they hit us was "she's deaf". I asked if she was blind too. Like I was gonna say "oh, i'm sorry I didn't know. I'll just pay for this out of my own pocket." :rolleyes:

Aren't people who are deaf allowed to drive?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
If you look at how it works, the lower frequencies will always work better.
You can get much better noise reducing systems.
Sealed is always the way to go.
The best ones can be tuned and the mike relocated.
Earplugs can make everything easier to hear if it isn't masked anyway.
I wear Cirrus to concerts.
Clear silicone earplanes.
Made to adapt to pressure.
Black Leightning for over the ear.
Inserts plus over the ear for guns or other loud sound.

Some cars have internal systems that use the car speakers.
Wasn't Lotus the one developing that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts