The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up off of evilbay.

3.5 inch monitor. Has 2 video inputs, and mirror switch (reverses image). Mirror switch is independent of reverse switch on transmission.

Flips up when not in use (and turns off).

To mount, I removed the hard-top trim piece and ran the wire underneath to come out the passengers side near the top of the side window.

Mounted the monitor with Velcro (to adhere to headliner felt) and screwed in place.

Now... to run the damn wires to the license plate camera... (ugh!)

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
oww Im gonna have to steal this idea:clap:

·
Banned
99 Posts
Would love more info... brand/model? Hows the resolution? Nightime Use? On all the time, or just when in reverse?

The usual list of questions.

I really like the way you mounted it... did you consider putting it on the dash at all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-INCH-Car-TV...605QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140065871791

I don't have the rest of the system hooked up yet, so I can't answer your questions, but I am using this camera...

The reason I chose this one is the low-light sensitivity (0.3 lux) compared to 1.0 or 2.0 for most others.

http://www.tundraelectronics.com/ca...a.html?zenid=6764a4868624abfe0792ba669445fa4f

All in all, it's more expensive than the "wireless" cheapie system from Costco or Walmart, but I think this allows you more flexibility.

I like the fact that this little monitor flips up and can close.

·
Registered
537 Posts
:up: GOod one Qball!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a chrome version of that camera (wish mine was black). It works very well.

FWIW, you can run the wire up into the boot through a pre-existing hole above the license plate (at least on Elises). From there, I ran it down the passenger side of the engine compartment, through a grommet on the passenger side of the firewall, and into the cabin. From there, it is an easy run to your monitor.

BTW, I got some grief from the local law enforcement because the frame on mine covers the annual registration tabs. From your picture, the black one does not. Does yours look exactly like the picture (specifically the tabs for the screws)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's nice about this is that it's about 1 1/2" closer to your face than the stock mirror and the image size appears to be about what you would have seen in the stock mirror.

So it should be fairly "normal" feeling.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Immensely better than what Lotus left the Exige S owners with (a view of the intercooler). Regular Exige is bad enough. Try explaining to observers why you look stupid backing up. Very sensible thing to do. I suppose Lotus will do it next year and charge $1000.00 for it. :rolleyes:

Any plans for the other video input?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
polarblueexige said:
I like it, but won't this be a problem when taking the top off?
Possibly, but I probably won't due to the intake.

The other option is to mount this monitor (less the cover) to the old mount for the standard rear view mirror. My original intention was to find a small monitor to mount to the mirror base (as below). This would yield a monitor in the same position as the mirror and would be pivotable and adjustable.

Note: This is the '07 mirror. I'm sure this could be done with the earlier mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wasn't thinking about the S cars with fancy superchargers. -poke- I wouldn't take the top off either...

Given my blocked off scoop, I prefer to go topless. I will probably end up with a soft top and only use the hard for track days.

I've been thinking of keeping my micromirror and adding something like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
QBall, you're a bold man. Given what happened to your last car should you really be tempting fate by breaking a mirror in the new one??:D :eek:

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
cool! I was actually looking at that display a couple days ago. Al & Ed wanted 250 for just the damn LCD!

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
just a thought, and i'm really sorry if this was addressed elsewhere (i'm still a newbie), but did you think about installing a new head unit with a flip up LCD screen? many of them have video inputs also. i know it wouldn't sit where the standard review mirror does, but it would be relatively close to the gauges and not too far out of eyesight. it would probably be more expensive for the head unit than just buying a little monitor and i suppose the would the steering wheel could get in the way of your view and it might not have the mirroring switch.

i think thats a really ingenious solution, very impressive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts