The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my son and I drove up to Stafford Springs, CT this past weekend to do a Rusty Wallace Driving Experience. It was nothing special. Fun, yes, but special, no.

My son is 18 and I let him drive my Evora just about whenever he wants. Say what you want but when I was 18, my Dad had an Oldsmobile 442 and he never let me drive it and it's rubbed me wrong ever since. Besides, that's what insurance is for :) Anyway, on to the great story.

We are heading up to Stafford Springs, a solid hour and a half drive, and I let my son drive as I wanted to drink my coffee and we all know the cup holder situation in our cars. When we arrive, he decides to park the car right smack in front of the entrance into the track area. I don't mean the entrance into the place but RIGHT in front of the entrance to the track area so of course, people are asking if they can drive the Lotus on the track, as if it were an option that the Rusty Wallace program was offering.

We had our fun, drove home and then what does my son find on Facebook later that night that a friend of his had forwarded him but a pictures of my car. See the caption below but more importantly, read all the comments, especially the last one, Very Funny or at least I thought it was. I don't know who the original poster is or who any of the commenters are except of course for the last one, which is my son :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Cute! Love the license plate.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cool story. I've let my 18 year old son take the Lotus out a few times. Like you said, that's why we have insurance, right. He had a handful of buddies come over a few days after I brought the car home and took each of them out for a test drive. Needless to say, they were all smiles. Both of my boys have said that I can never get rid of the Evora...unless it's to upgrade to an S. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
You guys let your sons take it out WITHOUT you??

I have 3 ....10 year old girls. Already searching for a safe to keep my keys in....need either a retinal scan or fingerprint activated lock ;)

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
It's nice to know your DD is someone's dream car.
After 2 1/2 years still amazed at the attention this car gets

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My dad used to let me drive his fairly new at the time, and rare Trans Am to high school. Best dad ever.

Just like the one in the back (obviously).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Love your license plate. My boys (8 and 9) already wanted to drive it when they reach the age. And my older daughter (4) already told her aunts/uncles and me that she wanted to ride in my Evora, not the infiniti, to pre-school this coming fall. My younger daughter can’t talk now but I can see that she also like the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice story. When I was 16-17 my dad had just bought a brand new Corvette (which he incidentally wasn't so fond of) and he would regularly ask to me switch cars with him so he could drive my Mazda RX-8 that he adored.

Everyone always thought he was nuts to let me drive the Vette but I can honestly say that I drove that thing with the prudence and caution of the preverbal sunday school teacher. I don't think I ever went more than 10 over with it, as I was convinced he had a hidden GPS in there that would inform him of my whereabouts and speeds but in retrospect I guess he just trusted me.

Anyway, very cool that you're sharing the Lotus experience with your son.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts