The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Elise with the larger Enduro tank.

car had fuel pump problems as the fuel pressure went down to zero the more the throttle was pressed down.

Inspected the pump first by removing it from the fuel gas tank. Upon removing the fuel pump assembly there was broken down bits of green material that look like if you shredded a green Scotch-Brite pad.

Lifted car on passenger side to slip gas down as I filled from full tube on passenger side. Cleaned all this up but did not install the pump yet. Poured filtered gas I pumped out back from full tube to check if more green shards came out and none did.

Is this something that is common with an Enduro tank or did someone put in fuel cell foam and it completely broke down.

Purchased a vehicle about a year and a half ago from a person who ran it on the track only.

anyone have any idea where these green small mulch like shards came from?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Likely the material is the glue lotus uses between the baffles.
I ended up using POR fuel tank sealer after adding sand and gravel to tank with a few hours of agitating and many hours of washing/flushing.
Not sure if there is an easier way. I am about to do it again to another Elise so would be happy to hear a less expensive option as new tanks or upgraded ones are pricey.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using a Readium Fuel tank already… cleaned up the mess and putting the pump back. Will run 1-2 events and take the pump out again.
Thank you for the suggestion. Wished I took photos of the green shards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moved the car to my mechanic and then back and more of the green crap in the tank…

it’s an enduro tank.

removed the tank and cut open a hole in the top just enough to get the green baffle garbage out. Flushed the tank with water to ensure none of these green garbage sludge exists.

my question is this, can I run the tank without baffling? It has a trap door by the fuel pump and I am also using a surge tank as well.

I really don’t want to out this green garbage back in. I could make a few walls inside the tank but that would be a ton more work and require a lot more rig welding

Can I just seal the top port I cut out and reinstall the tank?

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have a surge tank installed (radium). I put it in when I purchased the ex race car.
I definitely do not want to put more of this green baffling inside. I can open the top of the tank up in two sections and place metal baffling inside.

I was mostly worried about fuel sloshing upsetting the suspension.

Should I create two more port holes and construct metal walls?

The tank was sold in the United Kingdom. stamped “pro” on the side of it

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I would go the metal baffle route. I can see dealing with the foam breaking down as a real PIA.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise (Chrome Orange)
154 Posts
I am refurbishing a ProAlloy tank myself, though the existing foam seems to be in good shape. That said, I am considering installing a Fuel Safe nut ring and blank plate to support future "maintenance", as this will allow me to remove the factory foam and replace with new foam if needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly… I am fabricating something like that and installing baffles instead of the green garbage…why they did not make access ports when they made the tank is the most stupid idea based on the fact the fuel foam degrades…

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Exactly… I am fabricating something like that and installing baffles instead of the green garbage…why they did not make access ports when they made the tank is the most stupid idea based on the fact the fuel foam degrades…
I was reading it has about a five year life span.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If I had more initiative I would make a small side business taking apart old "A" tanks for 05 cars and convert them to "B" tank spec style and solve the issue with no foam and no moving parts..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts