The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was bored so I went hunting for nice roads.

What I found was jaw-dropping. Empty, beautifully paved back roads with virtually no cars. Large mansions and horse farms everywhere, extremely scenic, tons of elevation change, awesome roads.

I am going to finish mapping it out tomorrow. I think I can make it around a 30 minute drive.

So maybe we can use it on our next drive :)

Just posting for the heck of it... If any of you are in the area, I can show you what I found so far.

·
Registered
166 Posts
outside the city? Cause last time I was there, it was very congested in and around the nearby Greenwich area.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the "business district" is very busy, but those residential back roads go very deep and expand vastly. I had heard someone mention Greenwich back roads before and I was skeptical, so I went hunting :p

In Long Island, any decent back roads only last about a mile or two. Maybe it's different in eastern Suffolk, but I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes, the "business district" is very busy, but those residential back roads go very deep and expand vastly. I had heard someone mention Greenwich back roads before and I was skeptical, so I went hunting :p

In Long Island, any decent back roads only last about a mile or two. Maybe it's different in eastern Suffolk, but I wouldn't know.
East Hampton Airport: Daniels Hole Road (yeah, I know). Noyac Path: access to the old Bridgehampton Raceway (RIP)...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Mike, when you're really in the mood. you come up 58 through the back roads of Bethel CT to Newtown CT. It's a great ride, but when you get to Newtown, that's when will trip through Bridgewater & Roxybery. Those are the best roads in CT. Plenty of winds, dips etc.

We did a run a couple of years ago and everyone agreed that those roads were the best.

Of course you're probably going to have to install a SC to keep up though.:evil:

·
Registered
347 Posts
RIP "The Bridge"

If the town police get you out here, expect big points. Not really many roads, But you can cruise and enjoy. And watch out for the occasional deer. Although most are probably getting killed by all the building of custom homes out here.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Found some great ones in Easton too! I didn't seek them out first, just stumbled on them last Summer. I should have written down a few of the names but just get into some of the back roads there and I am sure you will find some. By the way, I am in Norwalk.

CK

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RIP "The Bridge"

If the town police get you out here, expect big points. Not really many roads, But you can cruise and enjoy. And watch out for the occasional deer. Although most are probably getting killed by all the building of custom homes out here.

The roads are so scenic and lovely, you almost don't want to speed excessively.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ya take a drive out, cruise to Montauk, then head back west and take the ferry over to shelter island, then cruise around shelter island, take the other ferry over to the north fork to Greenport and then cruise back up the wine country back west.

It is great for nice cruising.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Out East there are some really nice roads that usually aren't too congested. One of these days I'm gonna do a nice cruise in and around Montauk and look for some really nice back roads.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Without unpaved roads full of muddy potholes? -poke- lol
So where is it? I'm going for a drive this Sunday with friends and might consider. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I drove around some twisties near HRM when test driving an Elise a couple of months ago. I'll be up for another drive when we get a nice weekend day!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I went back today and all I can say is WOW. I tripled the route time. I now have at least a 45 minute/30 mile long route and there is still more to be added. The best part is that it all takes place within about a 10 mile radius so there is no long drive back.

This is awesome :clap: :clap: If any of you are in the area, let me show you

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sounds good Mike,welcome to the "makers of rides" club.
Let's run it soon.:shift:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always wondered why people don't appreciate our roads more! :) Do you cover any of Dingletown, Portchuck, Creamer, Close, John, Lower Cross, Burying Hill?

I'd love to drive it with you sometime, but I'm sure my driving ability is less than yours.

Just watch out for pedestrians. Unfortunately these roads can be quite narrow, and oncoming traffic while passing a pedestrian can cause big problems, especially if driving in a spirited fashion.

cheers,
Albert

OK, I went back today and all I can say is WOW. I tripled the route time. I now have at least a 45 minute/30 mile long route and there is still more to be added. The best part is that it all takes place within about a 10 mile radius so there is no long drive back.

This is awesome :clap: :clap: If any of you are in the area, let me show you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts