The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all -

This post is almost (to the exact day!) two months late. I'm sure you all understand, since obtaining your first Lotus at the beginning of summer sort of makes the rest of the world disappear for a few months. Anyhow, finally got some time to sit down and write this! This will most likely be a long post, so my apologies for that.

My story is pretty typical, so I won't bore you with the usual "i wanted a lotus forever, blah blah blah" stuff. The cliff notes version is that in '05 when I graduated from college I looked at purchasing one brand new. Decided not to (thank god), and instead worked for a few years, bought a house, got married, and got life squared away. Now that I have a garage, a separate daily driver, and a bit of spare cash to correctly care for one, I decided to bite. Also, 'lotus before the age of 30' was on my bucket list :)

Little bit about me first. I am originally from a small town outside Milwaukee (Hartford, WI to be exact) and moved down to attend school in '01. (at Milwaukee School of Engineering). I am an electrical engineer with minors in physics and mathematics, and I currently work at Microchip Technology (MCHP) designing touchscreen controller ASIC's for various consumer devices.

Instead of buying the elise in '05, my responsible side got the best of me and I grabbed up a Scion tC, which had only been out for a few months at the time. (Then about 50,000 teenage girls and 50,000 6" exhaust loving bro's bought them, but I digress...) I do actually love that car, as it now has ~125k miles on it, most being city, without anything more than oil/pads/rotors/tires. It's actually quite fun to roll around in, in that "fun to drive a slow car fast" way.

Fast forward to 2012 and I finally decided to pull the trigger. Luckily a fellow lotus owner from WI - Todd (GR82DRV) and his son Rob (username 'Me!') took myself and the wife out for a few miles behind the wheel of his '05 before I started looking cross-country for one. The driving experience was exactly as I expected (awesome), but unexpectedly *really* pushed my wife towards me getting one. Her words when exiting and pointing at the vehicle were, "yeah...we need that."

I looked at quite a few, but ended up finding the right car out near Philly. Cannot say enough how smooth and easy the transaction was, courtesy of Robert at British Racing Group (British Racing Group, L.L.C.). My wife and I flew out, picked up the car, and drove it ALL the way home to Milwaukee (stayed the night in Pittsburgh). Here she is parked in my driveway for the first time:

Stats on the car: 2006 Elise, Mag Blue/Biscuit, 6xxx miles, Touring, Sport, Starshield

So here we are, 60 days and 3000 miles later (don't judge - remember 900 miles of that was coming home!)

I have driven the car on a few short road trips - a few times out to madison, once out to the mississippi, and a couple times to my hometown. I drive it *most* days to work, unless its too hot or chance of rain. I've given up a bit of my nervousness surrounding the car, and have now given it more of a "it was meant to be driven" attitude. (and yes, this includes parallel parking in downtown MKE!)

Instead of telling everyone how great the car is (you all already know), i'll tell you about the things that I did NOT expect:
1) it is WAY more comfortable to ride in (and that's with sport suspension!) My wife has even fallen asleep coming back from madison late at night!
2) It is incredibly easy to get in and out of. I can now do it without even using my hands, just sort of put a leg in and slide in! Sometimes i feel bad because my smoothness makes my passengers' technique look terrible by comparison...
3) No cupholder really does suck, right now I just hold my coffee the few blocks from the shop to work- I know there are options available, i'll get to it eventually : )
4) It is far easier to drive than expected. I learned stickshift when I was 16 on an '87 Bronco II, so i guess that kinda set me up for success with anything
5) Other sports car driver reactions are interesting. So far, miata and other tiny car drivers have been the nicest, honking and waving. Vette guys seem to refuse eye contact, and BMW/Audi guys seem to think that we are on the track and its the last lap, and their pink slip is on the line.

I haven't done anything serious yet, just a few little things (visor delete, bumper plugs, head unit swap, etc.) I really dont have plans to modify the car a whole lot since its mainly a pleasure vehicle, but I will definitely take it out for at least a driving clinic or two to learn the limits of the car - right now I baby the heck out of it, i probably push the darn tC harder in the curves!

Lastly, here's a few pics that I snapped the other day on the way to work. Those of you from the area may recognize the locations.

Looking forward to participating in some of the midwest rides, and becoming part of such a great community!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Welcome! Those are fantastic pix and I especially love the ones down by the Art Center. Enjoy the summer driving season. I work out of MKE so I'll keep an eye out for Mag Blue Elise.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
"and I currently work at Microchip Technology (MCHP) designing touchscreen controller ASIC's for various consumer devices."

hmmmm... you do realize that the Elise is a consumer device....

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Red Velvet
44 Posts
Congrats from Sheboygan! Beautiful interior :crazyeyes

Nice to have another WI owner!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Hey Kris-

Great to see you on the board! I was wondering where you went, but I should have known it was something 'bout the car... Great story.

Wow! what a great looking Lotus! From what you described when you just started searching, it looks like you found exactly what you wanted!

We hope to see you guys at some Wisconsin events. Consider dropping in on the ALMS race weekend at RoadAmerica in August. We'll be camping there, and we'd love to have another Lotus come by. It's a fantastic weekend for performance car junkies...

Keep connected.

Todd

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"hmmmm... you do realize that the Elise is a consumer device....
haha, yes - I actually do have a small project up my sleeve, hopefully will post about it soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts