The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...this forum has served a wealth of information...I have been on the Bimmer forums for quite some time, and now I am a recent Lotus convert!

I bought a 2005 Lotus Elise CO with Sport pkg (off this forum) and will be picking it up this week. It is currently at SCC (again referred from this forum) getting some work done and some mods (HID, Larini SE exhaust, Euro rear grill, CF side scoops, and more to come)...

I've read all the threads about daily driving vs. tracking this awesome car. I've always wanted to track my bimmers but never got around to it, so with the Lotus, I'm taking it out this Sat. to CA Spdwy for the first time (signed up for instruction as well)...any tips for first time tracking would be appreciated!

Other than a helmet....and I need a tow hitch (come with car)?

(pics. to come as soon as I pick up the car...)
Here is one though when he left me test drive it....

·
Registered
64 Posts
hello again, I believe we met in the cal speedway thread. If you just check out the speedventures and redline track events sites, you'll see plenty of tracking opportunities. As far as southern california goes, the Streets of Willow is probably the most popular. Its a smallish, tight track that suits the lotus very well. If you get hooked this weekend, you can also check out trackhq.com, its a track site run by a frequenter of these forums.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Before hitting the track, check the torque on your toe links. Top off fluids and have fun!

Oh, and also check how much is left on your brake pads (do a visual check of both inside and outside pads), you might need to replace those before going to the track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I just got my 05 this week and I love it. I had a Z3 which I sold this spring. The Lotus is alot more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello again, I believe we met in the cal speedway thread. If you just check out the speedventures and redline track events sites, you'll see plenty of tracking opportunities. As far as southern california goes, the Streets of Willow is probably the most popular. Its a smallish, tight track that suits the lotus very well. If you get hooked this weekend, you can also check out trackhq.com, its a track site run by a frequenter of these forums.
Yea, I'll look for you at CA Spdwy this sat.!!! can't wait...

I have registered for the trackhq.com website which is a great resource as well...

So my short checklist is:

1. Torque
2. Fluids - any recommendations on which brake fluid?
3. Brake pads
4. Helmet

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Tow hook should be in your toolkit... I wouldn't put it on for street driving, if your car gets bumped it could damage the frame easier

Make sure the battery is tied down well

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
according to track conditions you might want to use 3M blue painters tape to tape up the front end and side rear wheels......

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know where i can pick up a helmet in socal/L.A.?
is there a local racing equipment store...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
be safe out on the track!!! and good luck.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
anyone know where i can pick up a helmet in socal/L.A.?
is there a local racing equipment store...thanks for the help!
Sparco USA
They are in Irvine:up:

Sparco Motor Sports Inc.
1852 Kaiser Ave.
Irvine, CA 92614
No 1 in The WORLD
Tel. 800-224-RACE
Fax. 949-797-1755

1 - 14 of 14 Posts