The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the side grills over the oil cooler openings in the nose?

The main grill is easy, but the side ones for the oil coolers seemed to be screwed on at the top from the inside. Any help?

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You are right they are screwed on the top and they seem to have a clip on the bottom (item 13 on the next picture is bonded to the clam)

Maybe you can access it removing the bottom panel. I'm going to remove my bottom panel this weekend I'll let you know Monday if it's easier to access from there.

Edit: on second thought it seem like it will be harder from the inside, but I'll take picts and look anyway. You might need a smaller hex driver. They are the same size (7) as the hex nuts of the front grill.

Left one:

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I could use further information on how to remove and replace the small oil cooler grill. Does anyone have this information? I have to replace the drivers side grill since the lower tab has broken off.

Thanks, Brad

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Cisitalia said:
I could use further information on how to remove and replace the small oil cooler grill. Doe anyone have this information?
I've been told that the front clam must be removed to access this.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Manual says to remove the front clam... :(

Grill is screwed in from the top.

Alternatives that I've heard about...
1) Break off the grill (YIKES!)
2) Remove the turn signal and reach through the hole. 2 known issues with going this route -
A) It's difficult to reach the grill thru the smallish turn signal opening;
B) In removing the turn signal more often than not you'll damage or break off the retaining clip at the top of the lamp. Without this clip the lamp will simply fall out of the hole at the next hard bump.

If you find alternative #3, please let us know!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
364 Posts
Kiyoshi and MattG,

I can't believe Lotus built a car that requires the clam to be taken off to gain access to one small screw for the oil cooler grill!!! But it is a Lotus :rolleyes:

I can see maybe the turn signal option with cautions.

What about taking out the headlight?

Thanks for the help. Brad

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brad,

No help going thru the headlamp. See some of the threads for headlamp aiming and you can see with the headlamp covers removed that the body is used to mount the lamps, ie. there's not a hole for sticking your hand thru.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
364 Posts
Kiyoshi,

I was thinking that on most cars you can take out the complete head light assembly from the outside and/or backside, which leaves a large opening to gain access through.

Now this is a Lotus ;) , don't tell me that you have to take the clam off to remove the head light assembly :p . I am hoping there is a way to remove it from inside the fendor area and from the top.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
364 Posts
Kiyoshi,

I really want to thank you for hanging in there with me, your help is most beneficial.

Ok next try. How about I greatly enlarge the hole at the forward end of the headlight area (the headlight cover will enclose the area and the larger hole will not be an issue). Your picture shows a hole, which I know is for a condensation drain. The headlight cover even shows a small hole for a drain. I just happened to see this small hole is just straight above the small torx bolt for the grill. I think there is also a black plastic cover in the way, that may need some customizing as well. Do you think this would work?

Back to the drawing board. How hard is it to remove the clam? I am not there yet, but information is powerfull. Other than that maybe two sided "grill less" is the way to go. :eek:

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brad

I was over looking at SandMuseums car yesterday, his front turn indicator was out (another story). But, getting to your question...

It does appear that if you enlarged the hole in the bottom of the headlamp bucket that you could access the general area. However, as you said there's a 'cover', which is actually part of the crash structure and helps to duct air to the oil cooler. That portion of the crash structure extends over the torx screw holding the grill. Thus you would need to cut a hole in it or cut it back significantly to gain access to the screw. PIA!!!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
364 Posts
End of discussion: CLAM OFF, CLAM ON ! :mad:

R&R of the front clam is really not that bad. Two hour effort each way. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bottom tab on my front right grill got broken (don't ask). The tech said the front clam had to come off...or.....he could drill a small hole in the body once the headlight liner was out.

I opted for that. Figured taking the front clam off had its own risks. And I'd get my car back sooner. :D

Its easy to eyeball the alignment of the hole with the screw at the top of the grille. The tech used about a 1/4" bit. Just back from the lip at the front of the headlight inset. Just back of the round black tape that shows in the picture above.

Below, there is just enough room to fit your fingers around the back to hold the screw.

A lot less time than quoted above! I couldn't figure out why they didn't make it this way at the factory.

I asked the tech to use light-weight Lotus racing tape to cover the hole when he was done. :) :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
SBrugger,

Thanks for the information. That is what I was going to do, but I had some other items to mess with that made it easier to take the clam off. I agree, why Lotus could not have thought of a better idea. What about the screw coming from the bottom with a clip on the body that would engage the screw.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
chococars trick didn't work on my car. I would have had to drill a new hole. I was able to reach in through the wheel well opening. If you remove the front splash shield. you can reach in to unscrew it. I used a torx 1/4 drive bit. No ratchet. I wrapped the socket with gaffers tape to add some grip. So the trick is to reach in with one hand. Place the tool on the screw. Then with your other hand Reach around and turn the grill. This will break it loose. Then loosen with the tool. This trick is in my front 3 grill install directions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.