The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather is finally starting to kind of warm up so I find myself obsessing over a new grill. Truth is I want all of these but that's obviously not going to happen. Anyone here have one of these?

Also, anyone have something else they just love grilling on?

1) The Grillery:
A real man's grill. Nothing like cooking a steak over an open flame.
Can't really cook like an oven though.

2) Kalamzoo:
The Hummer of grills. Gas, charcoal or wood fired. Smoking box. Built like a freaking tank.
Expensive though.

3)Evo grill
This thing just looks cool. Can sear a steak on it's cast iron surface at 800 degrees or cook pancakes.
No wood flavor though.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just make it easy on yourself so you can do B-B-Q every day! :D
When I cook outside, I rarely make it easy on myself. I shun gas grills like the plague. I guess I just like the process of cooking with wood and charcoal. That's why I like the Kalamazoo. You can cook with gas, but you can also just use gas to light the charcoal or wood. It also has a smoking box for true bbq and an infared rotissery. Problem is, it costs more than the other two combined.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
#2.

I have to stay away from the grill section at Sam's Club. Otherwise, I would buy a grill that is nicer than my entire kitchen.

I am grilling tonight for the first time this year. Oh yeah.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im kinda partial to the "evo."

how much are these grills?
First Mike, love the new avatar.:D

The Grillery, which I love the concept of, is all 304 grade stainless steel, made in the good old USA and is $2500.

The Kalamazoo, which weighs more than your Hummer, runs from $5,000 to $15,000. I know, gulp. The one I'm looking at is about $7,900, about the same as a Viking.

The Evo grill as pictured is $3,100. My wife loves that one. She has this idea that I'm going to be outside cooking pancakes for brunch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does he have one?

Do his burgers taste good or does he burn them? Be honest.;)
Our grill doesn't look anything like that one.

I love it when Dad cooks, especially on the grill. I wish he cooked more.

My Mom's cooking is great. Dad always tells Mom it's her fault he's getting fat.

Dad cooks better than Mom does.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
The Kalamazoo looks to be the most versatile. The others look much more like they specialize in just a few types of cooking. I cook pizza, pineapple, baked beans and stuff on my Weber Silver B. I like being able to cook almost anything on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
or... if that one was too big...

Still... similar concept
Economy Model.

My 0.02 about a grill...
If it doesn't have to move and you have a decent yard, build one out of cinder blocks. Charcoal is the essential ingredient anyways so why pay lots of cash for a fancy container? Webers are great too. Also try to find some hardwood charcoal like mesquite, gives an amazing flavor and easy to use. Have a great summer:cool:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Economy Model.

My 0.02 about a grill...
If it doesn't have to move and you have a decent yard, build one out of cinder blocks. Charcoal is the essential ingredient anyways so why pay lots of cash for a fancy container? Webers are great too. Also try to find some hardwood charcoal like mesquite, gives an amazing flavor and easy to use. Have a great summer:cool:
Good thoughts, problem is I'm a shallow, overly-indulgent yuppie.:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Kalamazoo, which weighs more than your Hummer, runs from $5,000 to $15,000. I know, gulp. The one I'm looking at is about $7,900, about the same as a Viking.
:huh: I thought the Lotus philosophy was something along the lines of "lighter is better"

and

:eek: That is quite the price tag! Although, it sure looks like it could make some tasty food :drool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I completely understand. For me its really about the quality of the food. Ive seen some guys that could out-grill anyone using just a hobo-era 55 gallon drum. I'm sure someone could build you a built-in custom piece for way less than any of those...would also help your home's value a little. I've burned through a few expensive grills just due too over use. Even nice stainless steel ones will break down over time..clogged gas ports, oxidation, general wear and tear. God forbid it gets hit by bad weather and falls over. Good luck and choose wisely.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
to be honest, i used to buy grills that cost anywhere between 1k-1500 dollars...(i know, pocket change for some of u)...
i leave them outside as i grill all through the year. something would rust eventually and i would buy a new one.
this last time i decided i was gonna go on the cheap. i bought a sears floor model for abt 110 bucks. reg price was around 350.
best 110 bucks i ever spent. i have to say it cooks just as well as the grills i paid a grand for.
i primarily cook steaks and burgers....they cook up awesome.
i really dont think u NEED to spend thousands for a grill that cooks your food well. ur spending thousands because of the brand, the looks, and HOPEFULLY longevity.
i can buy a lifetime of cheap grills for what some of those cost.
just my oh-2.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts