The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, did a search, nothing turned up, so I'm asking for help.

Just purchased an '06 Exige from joshallen88 (texige's old car). It has 11K on the clock and has obviously been taken great care of. Anyway, today was the first time I've driven the car other than the 735-mile trek home from Vidor Texas, stopping only for fuel, and driving it like it was made out of glass.

Immediately upon taking my first mildly spirited right hand turn today I heard a metallic grinding sound coming from what seemed to be the driver's side rear, right behind the seat. I drove the car around for a bit, no odd noises whatsoever, but as soon as I made another quick right turn, the noise reappeared. I immediately tested a left turn...no grinding sound. Did some spirited straight line acceleration, as well as some aggressive braking. No odd sounds. One more right turn, and there it is. :sad:.

So I got out, inspected the outside of the car, the engine bay, and even underneath (as best I could), but everything seemed to be in order.

My wife and I then take the car to an open parking lot to really isolate the sound. She gets out and listens while I get dizzy making circles. From inside the car it sounds as if it could be coming from the front or the back, mostly the back, but from outside the car she swears it's coming from the driver's front wheel area. My first thought was that the tire was making contact with the inner fender, as I had read about that before, and I know the tire is a little large at 205, but common on these cars, same with the rear (245). However, there is no scuff on the inside of the front or rear tire, and the noise sounds more metallic than what I *think* rubber can produce.

If you have any idea what this could be, please respond, my closest dealer is 100+ miles away (yes, I know, it was crazy to purchase this car with the dealer being that far away, but I wanted it that bad).

Thanks in advance for any help :).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '06, ended up being the left rear tire (245) rubbing against the engine lid release cable. Just zip tied it under the plastic inner liner.

Mike

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :). This is rubbing the top or the side of the tire? I just take the rear wheel off and it'll be obvious, right?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just in case it's coming from the front, Check the top of the wheel well about 8 inches in front of top dead center (directly behing headlight). Look for rubbing of the plastic wheel well liner. My front shock collars loostened up causing the front end to ride lower than it should and my tires started rubbing against the wheel wells particularly on slow tight (full lock) turns making a loud grinding noise.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm buying a new jack today, and cranking her up tonight to see what I can see. Hopefully it's nothing serious :).

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just in case it's coming from the front, Check the top of the wheel well about 8 inches in front of top dead center (directly behing headlight). Look for rubbing of the plastic wheel well liner. My front shock collars loostened up causing the front end to ride lower than it should and my tires started rubbing against the wheel wells particularly on slow tight (full lock) turns making a loud grinding noise.
Cool, glad you found your problem before you took out your headlight mounts / clam.. :cool:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Had the same problem on the front of my Elise.
Turned out to be the liner coming loose and the tire rubbing on it.
Glad I caught i early.

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
see thread on lt about using Well-Nuts vs crummy plastic screws

·
Registered
424 Posts
Had similar issue, parking brake cable was rubbing on the wheel flange. It was in the driver side also.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I think you guys had it right...

Sorry for the terrible pic, left the lug wrench in the rental car, won't have it back for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yep, that is your release cable getting rubbed by the tire. Just get in there and zip tie it out of the way.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Right behind it there's a tab on the frame that has a couple of holes in it - you can feed a thin zip tie through there and pull it up closer to the frame at the mild expense of making the release a bit stiffer to actuate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts