The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that many on here have complained about the difficulty of removing dried on wax from black matte parts (abundant on the Elise). I noticed that Griots has a dried on wax remover, and I wondered whether any of you have had any experience with this product. Also, Griots has a "back to black" trim refesher that takes faded rbber and metal trim pieces and restores them to black. See, www.griots.com

Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Randy G said:
I noticed that many on here have complained about the difficulty of removing dried on wax from black matte parts (abundant on the Elise). I noticed that Griots has a dried on wax remover, and I wondered whether any of you have had any experience with this product. Also, Griots has a "back to black" trim refesher that takes faded rbber and metal trim pieces and restores them to black. See, www.griots.com

Thanks.
We've used the dried on wax remover and recommend it. It works. :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I get all my car care products from Griot's Garage. They aren't cheap, but they are first class.

Shortly after I got my Subie WRX-STi, the new business next door to mine sprayed their parking lot with tar and it got all over my new WHITE STi. I freaked. I did NOT want to get the car "buffed out," as I knew it would ruin the finish. I emailed Richard Griot, himself, and he responded. He advised me to use Griot's paint cleaning clay and a lot of patience. It worked beautifully! Gotta give credit to Richard for personally handling my questions.

Plus getting the Griot's Garage catalog in the mail is like getting Victoria's Secret catalog! Makes for great reading during breakfast, lunch, AND dinner! :drool:

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great story. What other Griots products have you tried? What waxes would you recommend for the Elise?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The 3M adhesive and tar remover is great for cleaning wax off of the plastic trim. You can buy it at Wal Mart for 3 or 4 bucks.
Oh the best way to avoid the problem is to treat the plastic before you wax, use 303 Aerospace Protectant or or any of the non-Silicone based protectants. The wax that gets on the plastic will wipe off.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Randy,

I use their car wash soap. I use their "Best of Show" wax.

I also use Griot's Garage:

boar's hair brush
lambs wool cleaning mitt
window cleaner
wheel cleaner
interior cleaner
microfiber wax removal cloth
microfiber drying towel - awesome
Porter random orbital buffer
a really nice hose nozzle - about $100!!!

I can't recall what else... but it's all good! I'm definitely a loyal customer!

Mike

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
drrjv said:
I thought Zaino's was supposed to be the best stuff?
We've been stressing that the "best" stuff is highly subjective and you should use the products that work best in your particular situation. I have a myriad of different products on my shelf and usually like to select what works for me in each category of product rather than sticking to one particular brand. Sometimes I even keep multiple products in one category depending on what mood I'm in. ;) No one really makes everything you could possibly need (many seller's items are repackaged).

As for Griots, they sell some solid products, and if you like their entire line it's certainly convenient to do some one stop shopping. However, some like to pick and choose elsewhere in order to get more appealing products or better prices.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Another happy Griot's customer. The paint on my Supra had gotten very dull after a few years of running aggressive pads at the track. I ordered their paint clay/speed shine kit and it's cleaning right up.

I've also ordered a cargo net for my parents, their fender protector, and a few other odds and ends. Everything has been top-quality and service has been excellent.

When I lived in Tampa, a friend of mine discovered Zaino, and sold me on it. Another excellent system. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the top companies.

Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
"Griot's Garage" and Starshield?

I have just started looking at "Griot's Garage" products.

For those of you, who use their stuff, please would you confirm that there are no known issues as far as "Griot's Garage" and Starshield.

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've used the Best of Show wax on Starshield on my 2005 Elise since new in summer of 2004. No issues and it makes it easier to get the bugs off. I would be hesitant to use a wax with "polish" on Starshield. Griot's products tend to be very expensive (guess you have to pay for those catalogs somehow) but sometimes you get what you pay for. Bought a lot of stuff from Griot's and never been disappointed. Had a problem with a leak in a bottle of clear film application spray and they replaced the entire order, not just the spray....Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Back to Black" is great. The Elise's plastic doesn't need it yet since I've only put 2300 miles on it & leave it in storage most of the year. But having said that I use the "Back to Black" on both my 3's (Plastic Everywhere) and the stuff does make it look like new. Since use my Beems for daily & winter driving they require more regular applications which I am lax on, were I not the plastic would be in much nicer looking condition. It protects & shines, make sure your put it on EVENLY though, I use a sponge and a dedicated rag for that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts