The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im reading the little label on the door that includes the vin and some facts about my exige s. i noticed it said gross vehicle weight to be 2600lbs. i thought the exige weighed in at 2000lbs :shrug:

·
Registered
773 Posts
No way. Certificate of Origin on my car shows exact "shipping weight": 2,011lbs. You sure you're not looking at the max load rating for the tires or something?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Gross vehicle weight is the max weight of the vehicle and all passengers and cargo. Net or curb weight is the actual weight of the vehicle only (2006 Elise = 1980 lbs.)

Hurray for repetition!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Something else to consider is that Gross Weight is the max loaded weight. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that yet.

xtn

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
How much does 10 gallons of fuel weigh?

If a driver weighed 250. A passenger weighed 250.

500lbs.

+ Fuel

+you could easily put close 100lbs of (misc.) or one heavy object in the bonnet.

I could see it possible passing that mark by accident. Its not like the car would fall off the wheels......

right?:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
so I'm kind of new here so if you could just bear with me please......

I'm looking to purchase an Exige. Somebody mentioned that their net vehicle weight is 2000-2100lbs. I currently drive a 1998 Toyota Corolla with a curb weight of 2426lbs(edmunds.com). Has anybody ever wondered why the Exige weighs so much? Let me elaborate:

Corolla chassis is steel. Exige chassis is ~150lbs made of aluminum
Corolla has a 1.8 all aluminum block and head. Exige is "..." but lets add +200lbs for safe measure
Corolla is taller with 7 out of 11 panels made of aluminum. Exige is mostly ABS plastic. (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Corolla has plushy seats. Exige has thin and small seats
Corolla has ..........etc. etc.

Now imagine cutting out a slice of the corolla and rewelding it together. Omit back seats, seat belts, carpet, floorpan, steel chassis, spare tire, doors and other body(interior and exterior) panels respectively. I think its net loss will be around if not more than 400lbs in lost weight.
Now replace the steel chassis with bonded aluminum, replace roof with fabric or plastic or which ever material will be used for the roof, take out center console, some dash board, replace seats with ultra thin leathers, etc.

I suppose my question is: Where is all the weight of the Exige coming from?
My theorized numbers: 150 for chassis. 600 everything under bonnet. 100 for interior. 200 for body panels. 300 for other things I'm missing. Lets inflate the result and say, the car should weigh 1500lbs i would think?

I'm sorry if I'm blaspheming in any way. I'm a fan of lotus and toyota:coolnana:

·
Registered
10 Posts
On some vehicles the gross weight is intended to relay the maximum total weight the car can safely tolerate.

Do we have to wear a bonnet, and will it clear the roof?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm looking to purchase an Exige. Somebody mentioned that their net vehicle weight is 2000-2100lbs. I currently drive a 1998 Toyota Corolla with a curb weight of 2426lbs(edmunds.com). Has anybody ever wondered why the Exige weighs so much?
Just a guess, but edmunds.com reported curb weight is probably the basest model Corolla sans air conditioning and stuff. Does it have a passeneger side airbag? What is the rotational stiffness of the chassis? Although the body panels extend higher for the taller Corolla, do they also extend as close to the ground? Is there a built in roll-over bar? Does it have under-body panels? External oil coolers? Radiator mounted at the opposite end from the engine? One hundred and ninety horsepower? Inner fender liners? A 4'x8' sheet of plywood sized rear view mirror?

I'm still with you; I think the Exige/Elise weigh too much. But just pointing out a few items I can think of to help answer your question.

xtn

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
zOMG this discussion is still happening. People please look up the definition of "Gross Vehicle Weight" and settle down. (I was considering saying "settle down Beavis", oh wait I just did.)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Just a guess, but edmunds.com reported curb weight is probably the basest model Corolla sans air conditioning and stuff. Does it have a passeneger side airbag? What is the rotational stiffness of the chassis? Although the body panels extend higher for the taller Corolla, do they also extend as close to the ground? Is there a built in roll-over bar? Does it have under-body panels? External oil coolers? Radiator mounted at the opposite end from the engine? One hundred and ninety horsepower? Inner fender liners? A 4'x8' sheet of plywood sized rear view mirror?

I'm still with you; I think the Exige/Elise weigh too much. But just pointing out a few items I can think of to help answer your question.

xtn
not to mention the Lotus' steel rear subframe that has been galvanized. And he's asking about the new Exige -- supercharger and intercooler add something like 60 lbs, yes?

400 lbs is A LOT of weight. That's 20% additional mass over the Lotus.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Can two 250lb people fit in the car?

How much does 10 gallons of fuel weigh?

If a driver weighed 250. A passenger weighed 250.

500lbs.

+ Fuel

+you could easily put close 100lbs of (misc.) or one heavy object in the bonnet.

I could see it possible passing that mark by accident. Its not like the car would fall off the wheels......

right?:eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Body is fiberglass, not ABS.

Right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts