The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building and selling body kits for the Elise.

They should change aerodynamics significantly.

Here's my first attempt:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna tell you guys an idea I had. :D

I probably shouldn't, but wtf... if someone finds it valuable enough to steal, more power to 'em !!!

I had an idea to make an entire car out of wood. Not the chassis, of course, but the body work. Hand made from wood steamed and bent over forms, or laid ply-by-ply (of veneer).

It obviously wouldn't be a sports car, but a luxury car. I think it would be incredibly striking to see a car whose entire exterior is created of mahogany, or burl veneer, laquered to a shine.

Anyhow, if I ever meet up with someone who's really good with wood, I may pursue it.

What do you guys think ?!?

·
shay2nak
24,985 Posts
i don't think that's a wing. i think it's a bench used in NASCAR tailgate parties! Or a table to keep your beers on while you are at a NASCAR tailgate party!

·
Registered
442 Posts
transio said:

You've clearly never owned a wooden boat. Having to re-varnish the car (at least the front end and probably rockers) after every time you drive it - :eek:

I do have a soft-spot for woodies, though (both floating and driving), so go for it!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slacy said:
I couldn't resist trying to do this (hack job):
Not at all (re: "hack job") !!!

You've captured my concept well. Now apply that to a Bentley and you'll be closer to what I mean :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
transio said:
I'm gonna tell you guys an idea I had. :D

I probably shouldn't, but wtf... if someone finds it valuable enough to steal, more power to 'em !!!

I had an idea to make an entire car out of wood. Not the chassis, of course, but the body work. Hand made from wood steamed and bent over forms, or laid ply-by-ply (of veneer).

It obviously wouldn't be a sports car, but a luxury car. I think it would be incredibly striking to see a car whose entire exterior is created of mahogany, or burl veneer, laquered to a shine.

Anyhow, if I ever meet up with someone who's really good with wood, I may pursue it.

Check out what this guy has done...awesome!

http://knip.pol.lublin.pl/~tsalarioth/HoutenFe.pps

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ChrisB said:
Check out what this guy has done...awesome!

http://knip.pol.lublin.pl/~tsalarioth/HoutenFe.pps
Holy crap, that guy is insane! Really cool stuff.

Not quite what I was thinking, though... his work is carved from a block of lumber. I'm thinking of doing something a little more mass-production capable (and more luxurious), like creating forms and bending thin steam-treated wood veneers over them, laminating them together, and ending up with one seamless body panel.

Thoughts?

·
shay2nak
24,985 Posts
Originally posted by slacy
I couldn't resist trying to do this (hack job):
Wow, nice work! That's pretty funny looking. You have to make the car out of Balsa wood to preserve the concept of a light car, however you'll probably fail all crash tests! And the wood might crack and break at high speeds. :D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, you're not getting it.... just the body panels would be wood, not the structure. And it's not a sports car concept, it's a luxury car concept, so weight doesn't matter.

Bleh, nevermind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts