The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting threads for installation tips for folks who got in the HKFEVER CF group buys. Feel free to post if your have experience in removing stock and installing either CF, or stock, A/C Surround.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had to use some longer screws to mount the ac panel to the surround as the stock screws were not long enough to thread into the cf surround

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The screws are not the problem. The original screws should fit.
Your pictures clearly show that you have the same problem I had and that is that the mounting posts on the inside of the A/C surround don't fit right.
That leaves you with a gap between the faceplate and the A/C surround like shown in your pictures:

425078_10151890190955333_1428959172_n.jpg

582757_10151890185580333_1188785663_n.jpg

If you don't modify the surround to properly fit then you have to use longer screws to compensate the difference. But it doesn't look right since you will have this gap.

I described the reason and solution for this problem in the group buy thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/group-buy-elise-exige-cf-c-surround-111646/index8.html#post1751216

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ahhh yeah i got ya. Yeah i noticed that it had that gap because the stock screw posts are thinner in circumference and the holes for the faceplate actually fit over those posts (or the posts fit into the holes ;) ) whereas the CF piece the plate rests on top of the holes.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Hi, guys:

To correct it, please check the followings:
1. Send it back to me or RLS and I will correct the defected posts for you.
2. Filed down the miss align or thicker posts, screws tight the correct posts, then epoxy some "L" bracket at the back to push down the control plate against the surround.

Factory, tried to rush out this order and made 3 different moulds. 2 of the new moulds has problem for those post.

Sorry for all the trouble cause. No body in factory knew this when shipped out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My CF AC Install - Machining REQUIRED!!!

Just finished my CF/glass AC surround install. From the second pic, you can see the post aren't formed correctly to fit the AC faceplate. I used a demel to grind the posts down to eliminate gapping. I had to replace the factory screws with #6 3/8" screws to grab the treads. One of the CF posts was completely off but I managed to bore enough of a hole in the fibergalss to hold. I added a tad of Elmers to each screw - might add zero benefit, but seemed helpful at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
...I used a demel to grind the posts down to eliminate gapping. I had to replace the factory screws with...
Same here... Dremel'd all four posts about 1/4-inch down so they fit behind the switch-plate rather than 'in it'. Used bigger and longer screws (hoped they wouldn't split the material, and I got lucky, they didn't). Also used a Sharpie pen to conceal the exposed white resin. In addition to the remove-&-reinstall time, I spent about 20 minutes making the modifications .

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
This is too bad since otherwise the product is great...

All that would have been required to make it perfect was a simple template when glueing in those posts. I'm sure that the need of taking a Dremel to the part will scare some potential customers off :shrug:

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Then those customers should go back to fourth grade shop class. My nine year old daughter could fix these. Nice product!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Then those customers should go back to fourth grade shop class. My nine year old daughter could fix these. Nice product!
I'm sure your daughter could "fix" these without an issue, but unfortunately you can't use a Dremel to add rigidity to those posts.
Sure you can Dremel them off (as I did as well since there was no other option), but this comes with the risk that the bolts might split the remaining part in half. Or it might hold at the beginning and then fall off after a year or so.
That's where quality engineering is different from just "looks somewhat ok and will do"

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I'm glad everyone is rolling up their sleeves and getting things done. As this was the first time that HKFever's factory has done these, it looks like there are some minor issues that need to be addressed. Aesthetically the parts are quite good.

If anyone isn't comfortable with the fettling, contact Charles (HKFever) or myself and we will make make arrangements to do the fettling for you.

It is best to wear gloves and a dust mask, the dust will make your hands itch if you don't and it isn't good to inhale the stuff.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't recall shop class being offered in my fourth grade.
Completely unrelated... I do remember being taught humility.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I don't recall shop class being offered in my fourth grade.
Completely unrelated... I do remember being taught humility.
I'm not sure if that was directed at me? If so, I don't get it. I thanked people for rolling up their sleeves to trim the pieces, and offered to help out if they weren't comfortable doing so. :shrug:

[EDIT:] Oops nevermind, wasn't directed at me. Can someone please thwak me?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Thomasio, you and HKFEVER have been awesome. Products look great, require some modification, but nothing crazy , and while they took longer than I would have liked, a lot of that was due to people taking weeks to pay when they knew the exact day the group buy was closing (???).

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I'm glad everyone is rolling up their sleeves and getting things done. As this was the first time that HKFever's factory has done these, it looks like there are some minor issues that need to be addressed. Aesthetically the parts are quite good.

If anyone isn't comfortable with the fettling, contact Charles (HKFever) or myself and we will make make arrangements to do the fettling for you.

It is best to wear gloves and a dust mask, the dust will make your hands itch if you don't and it isn't good to inhale the stuff.
I have ordered the AC control panel and the small plastic cup (at the bottom of the AC surround) from Lotus 2 weeks ago, and should arrive very soon.

Once they arrived, the factory can improve the fitting to perfect.

Sorry guys, first time making so many different CF parts at one time and I did not foresee that factory need all the parts to make perfect fit CF parts. :eek:

·
Registered
905 Posts
It was not a problem at all sourcing the longer screws for this and making it work. No need to send mine back to you HKFEVER or Thomas. If it bothers me in the future i'll take it off and dremel it down a bit so the plate sits flush on the surround.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Hey guys. How do you remove the A/C surround? I am going to tackle this project this weekend. Thanks
Push on the two tabs on top of the surround and slide out towards the rear of the car.

IMG_1282.JPG

I unscrewed the two screws below the console / storage tray but after having everything apart I don't think that this is needed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
there's 2 tabs on top of the surround. You'll see these on your new cf piece as well. Slide a thin flathead screwdriver in between the tabs and the oem one will come right out. To put the new one in I had to remove the 2 phillips head screws on the underside of the dash and the plastic piece the ac surround sits on can move. There's 4 screws that hold the ac plate to the surround that you'll have to take out and you may have to dremel the posts or get longer screws to affix the plate to the new surround. It's pretty simple and straight forward once you take a good look at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts