The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting threads for installation tips for folks who got in the HKFEVER CF group buys. Feel free to post if your have experience in removing stock and installing either CF, or stock, door pulls.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Here's some good tips from HKFEVER in the gb thread:
How to remove the old:
Guys and girls be very careful when removing the old door pulls from your doors.
I just picked up my car from the paint shop yesterday as a result from removing the door pulls.
They are glued on with some super strong stuff.
I carefully used a razor to cut thru the glue while pulling the door pull up.
Toughest part is to get started in one corner.
I apparently pulled a little too hard and ripped part of the paint including some glass fiber out of my door.
The GF basically just delaminated and the top layer came off.

So take your time.

Also, when using a razor blade be careful not to cut your weather-stripping. It might be a good idea to tape it off to give it some protection.
To pull the door pull, the following is the correct way:
1. Use razor blade to cut at the inner curved area,
2, Cut it through, then you will have the outer ring on the door only,
3. Then slowly nip away the outer ring.
This will make sure the paint is ok.
That sounds like the right way to do it

But I wanted to keep the original plastic door pulls intact so I can first check fitment of the new ones.
It would also suck if you cut the original ones just to find out that the replacements don't fit (which was NOT the case)
Originally Posted by JinsokuBee
Would it help at all to use a heat gun to soften the glue?
No, don't. The black glue is like rubber.

It only have a very narrow stripe around the inner ring. You can put some body shop tape around the pull and insert a very thin plastic sheet or metal sheet then insert the blade between them and work your way in.
Install tip for the new:
What type of glue is eveyone planning on using to install these CF ones with. What would you recommend HKFEVER?
Industrial grade black silicon that use for body panel.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
-poke-What about running fishing line under the lip of the door pulls working it though the industrial strength rubber adhesive? Has anyone tried this method? This way there would be no chance of cutting through the paint with a razor or x-acto blade.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
-poke-What about running fishing line under the lip of the door pulls working it though the industrial strength rubber adhesive? Has anyone tried this method? This way there would be no chance of cutting through the paint with a razor or x-acto blade.
This was the method I was thinking about. I don't want to hack up my stock pieces if possible and I definitely want to weigh them to see the delta ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's a good suggestion. I'm going to give that a shot as well first.
Out of all the parts I plan this one to take the most time/effort and I really want it done right.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Tried the fishing line last night - couldn't get an edge to slide it underneath... it is VERY rubbery. Will have to cut through and follow HKFEVER's suggested method. No biggie!
Cut them off: Edmond in HK has been doing this since S1. This is what he told me and what I saw.

By the way, the followings may scare you:

1. Lotus has 2 versions of Door Pull, why, when and in which car. No idea :D

2. Edmond told me that, some door pulls original come with the car were slightly biggger. :confused:

3. Lotus don't sell those bigger one as spare parts, why, no idea.

4. If you have re-spary your door before, then don't bother to chage the door pulls. As mostly, your body shop did not pull out the door pulls to re-spary your doors :mad:

Sorry, I did not hold back the above info. I just knew it today after I asked Edmond is there anyway to pull out the door pull :tadts:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah the more and more I think about it the more I'm just deciding to cut the old ones up to get them off. I doubt a replacement set would cost that much if I ever did need to put the stock ones back on.

Edit: Thanks for that info ^

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
My OEM pull was also a little wider than the CF one.
On the passenger door there is a tiny spot where the CF door pull does not cover up the black rubber adhesive from the original pulls 100%, but that is not that big of a deal since the spot is very small.
Also, the CF pulls don't sit all the way flush in the door. If you push them down in the front then there is about a 2 to 3 millimeter gap in the rear and vise versa.

Could it also be that there is a difference in shape between the two versions?
But that would mean that the shape of the door is different between the '05 and '06 cars :shrug:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you used the heat gun, did they just pop out or still needed to use a blade? Did you protect the paint from the heat or not too hot for it (I have no heat gun but maybe hairdryer will give a little bit of aid)?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
When you used the heat gun, did they just pop out or still needed to use a blade? Did you protect the paint from the heat or not too hot for it (I have no heat gun but maybe hairdryer will give a little bit of aid)?
probably any heat will help. i used a metal bondo spreader and slid it in between the pull and the door while heating

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
I just took my stock pieces out. Took about 15 minutes for both sides.

I took a utility knife and cut a straight line all the way from front to back inside the "canyon" along the inside edge (towards the center of the cabin). I then cut another straight line on the outside (door) side. A pair of needle nose pliers allowed me to pull the just created "strip" handle up and out. I cut it away so I was just left with the outside edge pull perimeter.

I carefully nibbled a cut all the way through the perimeter working from the center to the outside edge until I had an piece in which I could pull up and away. The needle nose pliers definitely helped grip here. Very slowly and steadily I pulled straight up perpendicular while using an x-acto knife to release the stubborn adhesive underneath.

After removing the stock pulls you are left with a thin strip of white adhesive which is easily removed by pulling 1/4" at a time all the way around. There is also a thick flat black adhesive that remains but I'm not sure how to remove this... or if I want to attempt...

BTW both of the stock pulls weigh 5.7 oz. (162 gms) together.

Lotus REALLY didn't want these pieces to ever ever come off - you could probably support half the car with these pulls... :D

EDIT: Just got Fedex notification that my CF pulls on sitting on my front porch. Will install tonight! Woot!

·
Registered
905 Posts
My tip = GOOD LUCK lol
I used a heat gun on my doorpull earlier and a plastic piece to pry up the pull and a razor to cut that silicone stuff trying to keep the door pull intact. That stuff is so strong it pulled the paint off my door. That goodness the spots it pulled up will be covered by the cf pieces (barely) I only did the drivers side and it took about 45 min to get it off with a neighbor assisting me by pulling up on the pull while i cut away at the silicone with a razor. It was so stong i muscled up a good bit of it toward the end then all of a sudden the door pull RIPPED. The silicone was stronger than the door pull...So needless to say the passenger doorpull will be getting cut up from the start to make things easier.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
My tip = GOOD LUCK lol
I used a heat gun on my doorpull earlier and a plastic piece to pry up the pull and a razor to cut that silicone stuff trying to keep the door pull intact. That stuff is so strong it pulled the paint off my door. That goodness the spots it pulled up will be covered by the cf pieces (barely) I only did the drivers side and it took about 45 min to get it off with a neighbor assisting me by pulling up on the pull while i cut away at the silicone with a razor. It was so stong i muscled up a good bit of it toward the end then all of a sudden the door pull RIPPED. The silicone was stronger than the door pull...So needless to say the passenger doorpull will be getting cut up from the start to make things easier.
See, you copied my advise for the guys and girls in your first post and then still made that same mistake I made and ripped off your paint :p

At least this makes me feel a little less embarrassed now.
At first I thought it was just me who had problems removing the old ones :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts