The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting threads for installation tips for folks who got in the HKFEVER CF group buys. Feel free to post if your have experience in removing stock and installing either CF, or stock, Doorsills and Panels (switches and vent pieces).....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, not a lot of time today but decided to try the sills and panels. First off, the old came off pretty easy. Just look for the screws (2 are under the rubber mat in the cubby so peel that up). The airbag cover is now just hanging but I think it is held partly by the panel (I hope). I noticed about 3/8" deep plastic honeycomb under the old sill for strength. The new does not have it. Was thinking just make a template and cut pieces of cardboard to layer up to the right height. Good idea? Bad? Oh, and there is no screw hole in the sill for final attachment (the one along the edge of the sill). Will need to make one, but measure carefully to get it exact!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, also there are 4 clips on the back of the old panel, make sure to take those off and put on the new one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Working on the passenger side. Cut 3/16 masonite to beef up the underside of the sill. Will use foam tape on that to make up the gap. Might work, might be better with some spray foam insulation (expandable stuff) but only on final install. Anyone done this? The panel (the piece with the vent) does not seem to want to go on either. There are 2 fins that have metal clips near the top. The CF part just above that prevents from going all the way on. Going to have to dremel down I fear.......

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HKFEVER, I have yet to re-do the passenger side sill for more support but was working on the driver's side and have an issue. The panel that holds the ignition and light switches will not stay on the the panel piece you made. There are slots for the tabs on top but when I then put the 2 screws in the bottom to attach the panel holding the switches, the tabs come out at the top. It is like the space for the panel is too big by 16th of an inch or something so the tension is not there to hold the top tabs in the slots. Thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OEM plastic switch panel with the two tabs on top going into CF piece that has cubby and hole for the vent. Passenger side went fine. Maybe I can heat the plastic panel and flex back to make it straighter, and thus a little more tension to keep tabs in. If the tabs were a little longer that would also do the trick.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Hi, Guys:

As some of the holes may be too big, some may be too small.

This is my suggestion, epoxy a small piece of flexable plastic (cut up some of your kitchenware) at the back of the original panel. This will act as spring and hold the panel perfectly.

I will post some pictures later.

Here are the pictures, which I use a corrugate board to show the different.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Charles,

How do you recommend getting the side sills and trim panels to fit together properly? Nether of my pairs will go together, and it doesn't seem to be readily apparent as to where the interference is. This is about as far as I was able to get without pulling out a dremel:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Charles,

How do you recommend getting the side sills and trim panels to fit together properly? Nether of my pairs will go together, and it doesn't seem to be readily apparent as to where the interference is. This is about as far as I was able to get without pulling out a dremel:

Can't see your pictures, can you post them directly instead of using other link?

I tried couple installation, you don't need to dremel them, just force them in. Once them mated, it will be very hard to pull them a part.

Don't need to treat them genlte.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Can't see your pictures, can you post them directly instead of using other link?

I tried couple installation, you don't need to dremel them, just force them in. Once them mated, it will be very hard to pull them a part.

Don't need to treat them genlte.
I've tried forcing them quite a bit; I was able to get the other side a little closer than what's in the pictures, but I still can't get them to go together, no matter how much I try to force it. I'll take some pictures from more angles with a better camera tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Check this out.

Need to use force and some part need to dremel it a little.
Since I got both the sills and panels from you, there are no tabs there that require dremeling the sills for clearance. Also, bottom of the trim panels and the corresponding lip on the sills do not line up on the "wide" side. Even if they did, the lip that those instructions say to bend down is VERY rigid on my parts, and will not budge no matter much much force I attempt to apply. As I mentioned before, I will attempt to get some better pictures in the morning.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Since I got both the sills and panels from you, there are no tabs there that require dremeling the sills for clearance. Also, bottom of the trim panels and the corresponding lip on the sills do not line up on the "wide" side. Even if they did, the lip that those instructions say to bend down is VERY rigid on my parts, and will not budge no matter much much force I attempt to apply. As I mentioned before, I will attempt to get some better pictures in the morning.
Those tab, will affect the CF side sills.

But the CF A Posts may have some parts stick out at those tab area.

Wait for your detail pictures.

May be really need dremel some area to make them fit :eek:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Variance - The sill lip (with the 2 holes) should sit above the panel piece, where they overlap in the cubby. Did you maybe put the sill under, giving the big gap?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Okay, I tried putting them together again and took some pictures. Here is the left side, which is the worse-fitting of the two:

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
And here is the right side, which I was able to get much closer, but no matter how much I try to force it, I can't get the bottom of the trim panels to get over the flange on the sills.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts