The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting threads for installation tips for folks who got in the HKFEVER CF group buys. Feel free to post if your have experience in removing stock and installing either CF, or stock, shifter tunnel.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
How are you guys removing the traction control button? did a google search but didnt find anything. I'll search more but wanted to go ahead and post this.

The holes on the CF console are tighter than the stock console as well so I'm about to dremel a little on the holes so I can put my hazard and door lock switches in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traction control has a hex nut on the back. I used needle nose pliers to loosen. And, yes, needed to dremel for hazard switch as well as door lock hole (for door lock, the hole was just a tiny bit small to fir the connector through).

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yup i used needle nose pliers as well to loosen that nut. I've got everything swapped over onto the cf console now but didn't have time to put it all back in before I went to bed and before work. I'm driving to Nashville after work so I'll probably install it when i get to my friends house up there.

Yes like you said for the door lock switch I couldn't fit the connector through so I dremeled it until i could push it through then the switch sat in there fine. Thomas's hole for the traction control was spot on for the size no dremelling required for that hole. I got an OEM traction control decal to put on here so it'll look "stock"

The Shifter boot did not match up with the lip on the inside of the cf console so I reused most of those little vampire clips on the places that i could clip it. It's got a good bit of area covered/cliped so I dont forsee an issue unless those clips start coming off.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same with me! Got the switches back on yesterday but no time to re-install. Plus, it is 85 degrees in the garage....and hotter outside. I do not look forward to trying to get a zip-tie on to hold the boot. Last time I did this I think it took quite a bit to get it right. But assuming this goes well, I will have the center tunnel, rear lower and cup holder, A/C surround, door skins and pulls done. And the only bad part so far is the touch up paint needed bu one pull.

As for the sills and panels, I did one side and did require dremeling. I will probably re-do though as they were the first parts I tried and I think I can do a better job on the sill. May have to pull the panel off too to get the sill to sit right under where they butt up against each other, or maybe just loosen the panel (I hope). The issue with the sills is the lack of support under them as opposed to the original which had a honeycomb molded to the underside.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the "vampire clips" that hold the shift boot, I also found it a good idea to squeeze them with pliers before re-installing to make them tighter. Watch out though as they can spring out of the pliers across the room!

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Same with me! Got the switches back on yesterday but no time to re-install. Plus, it is 85 degrees in the garage....and hotter outside. I do not look forward to trying to get a zip-tie on to hold the boot. Last time I did this I think it took quite a bit to get it right. But assuming this goes well, I will have the center tunnel, rear lower and cup holder, A/C surround, door skins and pulls done. And the only bad part so far is the touch up paint needed bu one pull.

As for the sills and panels, I did one side and did require dremeling. I will probably re-do though as they were the first parts I tried and I think I can do a better job on the sill. May have to pull the panel off too to get the sill to sit right under where they butt up against each other, or maybe just loosen the panel (I hope). The issue with the sills is the lack of support under them as opposed to the original which had a honeycomb molded to the underside.....
1. Put a polybag in between then squeeze the expandion foam in the polybag.
2. Cut up foam to the correct thickness and put it in between.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just filed out a small bit of the lock hole and a little of the flasher, simple and quick. No shift boot issues to speak of and install was simple. Maybe 15min tops start to finish. Also laid a coat of Wolfgang Fuzion on there and she popped that pattern right out. looks so sexy in there.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yup I installed mine the other day. Here's a pic before i put the fasteners in the sides

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
This might be helpful for those tackling the project:

Lotus Elise Modification, Shift Mechanism Reinforcement

Also, I had to file out a bunch of the door lock switch hole. Note that the door lock switch automatically returns to the center position UNLESS it's too tight. (When it's being squeezed it will stick after being pressed.) So make sure you file out enough so that it is operating normally.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Wax on the matte finish?

Also, what do you recommend to clean the matte CF with? Mine got a bunch of fingerprints from installation.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Windex, or other window cleaner.

Wax will make it semi matte. But this is my own preference. The best effect I love the most is polish them all the way down to raw surface. But UV will cause them turn yellow in a year or 2.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I waxed my matte finish- it looks beautiful! I took a picture but it just doesn't do it justice.
Would love to see a picture of this if you have it (even if it doesn't do justice)! I love the idea of getting some "protection" on there in the form of wax, but am concerned about messing up the already beautiful matte finish.

I've always used this Blackfire Wet Diamond "synthetic" wax, do you think it'd be OK on the matte CF?

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Detailed Image

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Sands Museum write up says to remove the seats to remove the shifter "console". Is this really necessary? The seats are kinda awkward to remove.

Also, what bolt size (thread & length) is used for the "shifter frame reinforcing bolt" described in Sands -- it only says, same size as seat attachment bolts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
No, you definitely do not need to remove the seats. (I didn't.) But just be careful not to drop anything under them!

As for the bolt, I didn't replace that so can't help there, sorry.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah my shifter reinforcement had already been done by a previous owner i found out when I swapped my console :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts