The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some interest in my quick release towhook plate-mount that I put together earlier in the year at some local cars and coffee's and figured I'd put a group buy together for anyone interested in one.

Attached are some photos of the plate mounted on my car.

VERY sturdy at speed. Here is a quick clip from the track where I get to about 110. There's a bit of shakiness in the camera, but the mount is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFogIBInHF4

I'm going to price them at $100 with an estimated delivery of 6 weeks (ordering materials, sending to the machine shop, welding, powdercoat, etc) and am hoping to get around 10 people before I proceed with it.

On the version for the group buy, the plate is going to be moved down a couple inches, as it seemed a bit high up on my Elise. Also, they will be a matte/ possibly wrinkle finish instead of the gloss finish shown on mine.

And here's a video of it going on and off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mhm3fbKMU

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
To fasten the plate to the backer, you could go with a "short plastic automotive fastener" (Google that to find one you like). You could also look at a plastic screw/plastic nut combo, which are less likely IMO to vibrate apart.

Not only are they lighter, potentially more difficult to steal, and easier to install, but they aren't as obvious as the shiny acorn nuts.

This is what I used:
Shop The Hillman Group Push Fasteners for Ford at Lowes.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lotus Front License Plate Mount - Blackwatch Racing Lotus Performance Parts. Not to be an ass but the blackwatch ones are cheaper and they don't really block the entire grille like yours. Have on Elise and Exige and been on track with it no problems...
I have the BWR mount as well. The main advantage of mine is that it's a quick release. You can keep it off in the mountains and stick it on in 30 seconds if you're going out to lunch, visiting your parents, or otherwise don't want to attract unnecessary attention.

Mine is going to come down 2 inches or so, as stated, so it will have the same placement as the BWR or similar mounts.

This also has a full plate backing which is very rigid, where as I believe the BWR will only bolt up to two of the plate holes. The BWR is a great mount, and if you have it, and don't routinely take it off, it may be the best product for you

-Tyler

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To fasten the plate to the backer, you could go with a "short plastic automotive fastener" (Google that to find one you like). You could also look at a plastic screw/plastic nut combo, which are less likely IMO to vibrate apart.

Not only are they lighter, potentially more difficult to steal, and easier to install, but they aren't as obvious as the shiny acorn nuts.

This is what I used:
Shop The Hillman Group Push Fasteners for Ford at Lowes.com

The cheapest and easiest method would probably be just to grab a long M8 bolt from the hardware store for $3 and bolt it to the OEM front plate mount, which I've seen. The point of this is to easily put on and take off the plate, depending on your driving situation

·
Registered
936 Posts
The cheapest and easiest method would probably be just to grab a long M8 bolt from the hardware store for $3 and bolt it to the OEM front plate mount, which I've seen. The point of this is to easily put on and take off the plate, depending on your driving situation
I'm talking about how the plate is mounted to your backer, not the backer to the car. I don't know about you, but I don't have a burning need to switch license plates easily and if I did, I wouldn't use four bolts to do it -- I'd velcro the back of the plate(s)!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless. I'm missing something the BWR license plate mount does not include an easily swapped tow hook like this one. Rdms's solution seems pretty clever to me

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I appreciate the kind words. I think the BWR will come off but you need an allen key for these tiny set-screws if I remember correctly.

As for the Towhook, I'm omitting it on this buy as I don't want the responsibility of a mishap with it. It has been tested with a 1 ton wrecking ball and used to tow a Mack dump truck (linked below), but no official testing. If you are interested in that just for cosmetics though, we can certainly work something out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbOhUJkcmIk

·
Registered
577 Posts
I must be missing something. To remove it it looks like I'd need an Allen wrench and a open end wrench. Wouldn't it be easier to just use an open end wrench to loosen the lock nut on the main post and spin the plate around to remove it? it seems a quick release version would use the same kind of quick release hardware you find on bicycle for the seat post. Then it would be tool free.

Or like I said, maybe I'm just not seeing how it works.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must be missing something. To remove it it looks like I'd need an Allen wrench and a open end wrench. Wouldn't it be easier to just use an open end wrench to loosen the lock nut on the main post and spin the plate around to remove it? it seems a quick release version would use the same kind of quick release hardware you find on bicycle for the seat post. Then it would be tool free.

Or like I said, maybe I'm just not seeing how it works.
Group buy version will have a quick release pin, these photos are from a few months ago and I just used a bolt to see how it would fit on the car

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I use my BWR plate holder with my towhook... And all I have to do is hold the plate bracket and turn the towhook counter clockwise and plate and hook unscrews in 10 seconds with no tools... just saying

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use my BWR plate holder with my towhook... And all I have to do is hold the plate bracket and turn the towhook counter clockwise and plate and hook unscrews in 10 seconds with no tools... just saying
Alright I'll be sure not to put you on the list for one

Cheers

Tyler

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Lol.. Yours seems/looks a lot more sturdy with the full back plate.. There is a lot of ways to skin a cat... ! Good luck with sale... on the height I set mine so the plate is just a little lower than my front splitter ..if I hear it scrape I back off... its like a curb feeler...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts