The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New twist in Lotus saga as Lopez reveals Group Lotus splitJames Allen on F1 ? The official James Allen website on F1

The termination of the Group Lotus deal appears likely to be linked to the uncertainty surrounding the future of the sportscar company, its parent company Proton having recently been bought into by Malaysian conglomerate DRB-HICOM. Lopez was of course heavily linked to his own takeover of Lotus Cars last year and asked if he would still be interested in buying the British-based company he said: “We don’t know yet, because we really do not know what the new owner wants to do with it.”
I sincerely now hope DRB-HICOM gets rid of that dipsht Dany Bahar, I'm sure he's wasted millions in resources on stupid decisions to engage in failed, high-glitz, low-substance marketing gimmicks. He has no knowledge of F1, yet desired to make partnerships with not 1 but 2 teams, resulting in legal battles and expenses. Then one season into a 7 year contract he ends sponsorship ties with his "favored" team.

Not to mention his choice in hiring Shtz Beatz and the Balding brothers as brand representatives. I can't believe people believe this guy is a "marketing genius" and a "brand promoter" because he hasn't got a clue about what Lotus means, except on a superficial moronic level, if that :sad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Lotus marketing plan of keeping their name in the F1 media spotlight has to be one of the worst ideas ever..... Just when I was finally able to comprehend the Fernandes/Caterham issue they go and pull this stunt.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
The Lotus marketing plan of keeping their name in the F1 media spotlight has to be one of the worst ideas ever..... Just when I was finally able to comprehend the Fernandes/Caterham issue they go and pull this stunt.
Looks like the bean counters have taken control.

·
Registered
579 Posts
F1 doesnt like name the teams changing their name all the time. So the Toleman/Benetton/Renault team based in Enstone will probably be known as Lotus for some time.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This comment on JAF1 sums it up well

Step 1) Agree to allow the name of your car company to be used by an F1 team.
Step 2) Sponsor a different F1 team.
Step 3) Sue the first F1 team because they are using your company’s name.
Step 4) Win the lawsuit at considerable cost, get the first F1 team to change their name.
Step 5) Change the second team’s name to that of your car company.
Step 6) Stop sponsoring the second team and sever ties with them.
Step 7) ?
Step Profit!

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is all gaining momentum in the wrong direction. Quite predictable from the start. Wait, where are all those threads with the strong supporters and name calling pointing how this was the way to go moving in the complete opposite direction of what Lotus is about.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Can't we all have a Garden Party, drink some green Lotus tea and then discuss if they are really gonna replace the oil cooler lines like directed. And then leave after a group hug and a photo session with Dany. Oh and one more question are they really going to come out with new designs for their new prototypes ... man I am really confused.... :thwack:

·
Registered
88 Posts
It seems like this was already done weeks ago if not before the season started. Lopez already mentioned to Adam Cooper of Speed TV that Lotus was just a name provider in his March 13 article:
COOPER: Season Of Possibilities For 'Lotus'

Quote from Lopez: "“We have an agreement today for the name, and as far as the sponsorship agreement is concerned, that has been cleared,” says Lopez. “We are essentially in a situation where they don’t owe us anything anymore. They’re not title sponsor, they are a name provider, they are a partner."

I don't think it's such a bad deal as Lotus gets it name promoted for free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very sad and embarrassing indeed... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts