The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long wait, a bit less than 3 months I think, the CF instrument cover arrived! Looks fantastic, but noticed it did not have the grooves for the CF base to go into, but just ended up shaving those off on the under tray.

As with every cf project I've done, nothing fits and matches up, so I'm well versed in using a heat tool and small grinder to make things work, this was no exception.

I will add I verified that this would not ship with the 4 pieces needed to attach to the dash, so I ordered those off the internet.

Funny story, I almost had to take the passenger seat out to get a screw that flung over there somehow, luckily I was able to retrieve it by almost breaking my hand underneath.

Musical instrument Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Glasses Eyewear Synthetic rubber Eye glass accessory Rim

Busted out the octopus to assist.

Picture frame Chair Human leg Boot Personal protective equipment

Picture frame Wood Art Wood stain Hardwood

Electronic instrument Computer hardware Engineering Wire Audio equipment

Fitment went well after that, I was debating cutting the bottom off of the rear tray but decided this would be much easier.

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Car Hood Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Was loosing daylight, and don't have the best lighting in my garage, so I'll go back tomorrow and make sure everything is sitting fresh!

Reactions: EdQ and JMack77

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that really looks great! Goes well with the door panels.
Thanks! Was overall a easy install with minimal modifications and really makes the interior pop!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Now you just need to add the CF dash and you will be done. I purchase an OEM CF dash and ended up adding all of rest of the CF interior bits. Curious as to why you went with gloss. I went with matt finish so I would not have to worry about glare.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now you just need to add the CF dash and you will be done. I purchase an OEM CF dash and ended up adding all of rest of the CF interior bits. Curious as to why you went with gloss. I went with matt finish so I would not have to worry about glare.

Later,
Eldon
I was planning on full CF dash but decided against it. I honestly went with the Gloss because the first pieces of CF I got (door sills) were glossy and went with the rest to match.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I was planning on full CF dash but decided against it. I honestly went with the Gloss because the first pieces of CF I got (door sills) were glossy and went with the rest to match.
I'll snap some pics of the interior of my car and post them here so you can see what it looks like. It really does make the interior look complete.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll snap some pics of the interior of my car and post them here so you can see what it looks like. It really does make the interior look complete.

Later,
Eldon
That would be great!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
831 Posts
After a long wait, a bit less than 3 months I think, the CF instrument cover arrived! Looks fantastic, but noticed it did not have the grooves for the CF base to go into, but just ended up shaving those off on the under tray.

As with every cf project I've done, nothing fits and matches up, so I'm well versed in using a heat tool and small grinder to make things work, this was no exception.

I will add I verified that this would not ship with the 4 pieces needed to attach to the dash, so I ordered those off the internet.

Funny story, I almost had to take the passenger seat out to get a screw that flung over there somehow, luckily I was able to retrieve it by almost breaking my hand underneath.

View attachment 1297714
View attachment 1297715

Busted out the octopus to assist.

View attachment 1297716

View attachment 1297717
View attachment 1297718

Fitment went well after that, I was debating cutting the bottom off of the rear tray but decided this would be much easier.

View attachment 1297719
View attachment 1297720
View attachment 1297721

Was loosing daylight, and don't have the best lighting in my garage, so I'll go back tomorrow and make sure everything is sitting fresh!
Are you saying cf can be heated and reshaped?If so what do you heat it with and to what temperature?
Thanks for the write up. I totally agree very few aftermarket fit.Fetteling or whatever it’s called takes me FOREVER!!

Reactions: DannyTheDonk

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you saying cf can be heated and reshaped?If so what do you heat it with and to what temperature?
Thanks for the write up. I totally agree very few aftermarket fit.Fetteling or whatever it’s called takes me FOREVER!!
I have heated CF with good results, however I only try to do it on pieces of the CF that will not be exposed, or corner spots. I use a cheap heatgun that I bought off amazon Here. And very delicately add heat until its malleable, and then bend to desired position. Keep in mind if you heat it to much, you will destroy the clear coat, so gradually add heat and then slowly move with pliers, I use a special pair thats basically needle nose with a flat service as to not leave indents in the CF.

I have found the best way to configure CF to your needs is a heat gun and a grinder. Luckily I didnt have to heat this up, but I did with my door sills.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
831 Posts
Thanks,it’s good to know you can bend cf with heat.

Reactions: DannyTheDonk

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Automotive design Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device Font

Plant Comfort Rectangle Wood Font

Had some chickens outside my workshop taking cover from the rain :)
Furniture Water Table Chair Road surface

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts