The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently put the LED rings into my headlights but have yet to wire them up for lack of having the car, but i get it back today and plan on wiring them today.
my question is this:
is there a way to keep them both on all the time but make the top one shut off and on when turn signaling? i need to wire one of them into the turn signal, but i want it to remain on when the signal is not in use. it’s my understanding that the OEM indicator stays off and simply activates only when signaling and if i wired tapped into that wire, then my halo would be off until signaling?

if this isn’t possible then i unfortunately will have to deal with one of them being off all the time, because the OEM indicators were removed (which looks gorgeous, see pfp) and i need one of them to be my blinker

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes it is. There's a bunch of different ways it can be wired with an automotive relay. The picture below shows the gist on how it can be accomplished. I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but the way I showed you, it will have your halo flicker (on and off) in the opposite order of your other signal lights (i.e. side markers and rear signals). Meaning when your side marker and rear tail lights blink "light on" the front halo will have blinked "light off".

Another note, if you are using the top halo light as turn signal, they'll pretty much be a useless at night (i.e. communication tool for others to know you want to turn when facing in front of you/headlights). IMO, it will be hard for the average drivers, pedestrians, etc. to see the halo flash because your headlight's light will drown out the lighting of the flashing halo....but again, this is merely my opinion. This is why on certain newer cars, you might have noticed that a particular headlight turn off on the side that a bilker light is activated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes it is. There's a bunch of different ways it can be wired with an automotive relay. The picture below shows the gist on how it can be accomplished. I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but the way I showed you, it will have your halo flicker (on and off) in the opposite order of your other signal lights (i.e. side markers and rear signals). Meaning when your side marker and rear tail lights blink "light on" the front halo will have blinked "light off".

Another note, if you are using the top halo light as turn signal, they'll pretty much be a useless at night (i.e. communication tool for others to know you want to turn when facing in front of you/headlights). IMO, it will be hard for the average drivers, pedestrians, etc. to see the halo flash because your headlight's light will drown out the lighting of the flashing halo....but again, this is merely my opinion. This is why on certain newer cars, you might have noticed that a particular headlight turn off on the side that a bilker light is activated.

View attachment 1267130
i dont mind using the lower one as long as its doable. also that diagram is confusing to me, i don't understand where i get those from, is that the bottom view of the oem plastic push-in headlight connector? or the oem turn signal connector?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The #1 slot I believe is hot at all times. They do not draw much, take a look in your manual for a fuse that is ignition only, like maybe the radio fuse?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes from your oem turn signal plugs. And below are some more picture that contain additional information that may be of some assistance.

View attachment 1267169

View attachment 1267170

thats... intimidating. i would prefer to not take my clam off. and i noticed in the first diagram you sent me there were 3 positives? would i combine all 3 of those into my positive halo wire and then ground the other wire on #85? is it that simple? because i feel like it wouldn't be that simple but thats the first idea i got at that diagram seeing 3 positives, although my understanding is that i can only connect one positive wire to one positive wire?. sorry for my incompetence lol. Also, which positive do i use if not all 3?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts