The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm highly considering ordering the GT4 rear wing for my 400, however I'm concerned about a few details:

1) Visibility out the rear window. Does anyone have a good pic of this wing from inside the car looking out the rear window?
2) If I do this install I'm considering leaving the middle, black wing section with brake light on the car. Apparently this section has to be milled down to be smooth with the hatch if removed.

Thoughts? Any other 400, 410, GT owners considering the GT4 wing?

·
Illegal Alien
4,715 Posts
The euro GT430 came with a CF version of that wing with vertical supports that bolt through the duck bill hatch as used on teh Sport, GT4xx and GT cars. The true GT4 wing is heavy and bolts to the inner portions of the original wing mounts. I understand that GT4 style wings are available from different vendors in either GRP, GRP w/ cf overlay or all CF most with pre fitted tail brake light for a lot less than a true Lotus MS GT4 wing.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
825 Posts
I have an S1 Evora and I can tell you that the wing supports and the wing itself are designed around visibility and they don’t impact the view at all. Mine is the Heathelsport GT4 wing with the center brake light and as dumb as it sounds, the only thing I can see of it in the rear view are the small heads of the screws that hold in the center brake light. I don’t have a picture from inside the car, but this rear picture shows you can see the full rear glass through the wing.
As far as what’s left over when you take the wing off on a 400, I believe there are two pegs or two bolts in the center that keep the alignment of the wing. However, power for the brake light comes from one of the two side supports and can’t be fed from one of the two center holes. For a clean install, you’d need to fill the two holes, sand the area and paint over them. I don’t know how the three piece wing comes apart, but I don’t think you can keep just the center section. Hopefully this helps!

Attachments

·
Happy To Be Here
825 Posts
I believe this is what is left on the 400 rear deck after the wing is removed (not my photo).
I stand corrected. I didn’t know that they changed the hatch that much! In that case, it looks like you’d need to sand that pad off, do a bit of fill work, then repaint.

·
Illegal Alien
4,715 Posts
Alternative would be to install S1 hatch without the middle hump or install a Sport 410, GT or GT430 (predrilled for wing and reinforced backup) ducktail cf hatch and use GT430 wing (or copy)

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Some food for thought. I considered a GT4 wing as it looks pretty darn good. Problems are its pretty damn heavy, it contributes Nothing to downforce so you are adding weight and get no benefit. The CF ducktail is the best weight loss add on and probably has more aero benefits than anything short of a 430/adjustable wing. My compromise was to pop the glass and louver the rear which results in better cooling as well as ~18.4lbs of weight loss...All good. Love my color and did not want the CF hatch without side view mirrors etc to balance the look. Minimal vision changes IMHO.
My gut is if you want to mod your 400, the CF rear hatch is the mod that will blend in, add personality etc most favorably. Your rear hatch does not lend itself to variation like the s1 hatch unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I bought my original GT4 wing from VSA Motorsports. It was considerably heavier than the HKFEVER carbon version I bough later on. In fact, the all carbon GT4 wing probably weighs the same, if not less than the OEM S1 wing.

And I'll preface the following with the fact I'm not a professional race car driver...... but I'd guess that since Lotus Motorsports came up with the GT4 wing for track use, it does in fact provide some downforce. Another guess would be that it was significant over the S1 wing, especially since they were willing to add the weight of the GT4 wing.

Also along those lines.... I'd guess again that most forum members are not professional race car drivers. Sure, they may want to be, but the fact that is that they are not. They may track their cars, but I haven't seen many that pay the bills by doing so. So, if you want to change up your car to add things that you like, its probably not going to make that much of a difference on your street or track enjoyment. So long as you add things safely, make whatever mods YOU like and have fun!!

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
So is that large hole to the right not where power is supplied to the center brake light?? I guess I'll tear into the hatch and take a look.

Thanks everyone!!
The original S1 had power supplied from the right side of the hatch.

Since it looks like there are two holes in the 400 (one in the center and one on the right), it does appear that the light's wiring might be able to be be passed through either hole.

Or perhaps add a custom light back into the center to cover that area...

·
Hickory, NC
958 Posts
LEvo400, I won’t step on your dreams of having a wing. Does it add downforce? I don’t know. I don’t have a wind tunnel to test in. Does it add drag and weight? Most definitely. Gas mileage went from 29MPG to 22MPG on long trips. Does it look cool? You tell me.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh that is some terrible mpg. Yikes. Thanks for all the replies. Still not sure what I'll do. I'll figure it out!

·
Happy To Be Here
825 Posts
Oh that is some terrible mpg. Yikes. Thanks for all the replies. Still not sure what I'll do. I'll figure it out!
To get a second opinion on fuel economy, my ‘13 IPS N/A used to get upwards of 33 mpg and it went down to about 29-30 mpg after adding the wing. The biggest drawback to me is that the wing adds a lot of side force to the trunk hatch, so the left and right edges of the wing will rub on the clam tips at the rear edge. I have PPF installed in the contact patch, but I have to replace it every so often. I do however love the style the wing adds! So for me, the benefits outweigh the downsides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To get a second opinion on fuel economy, my ‘13 IPS N/A used to get upwards of 33 mpg and it went down to about 29-30 mpg after adding the wing. The biggest drawback to me is that the wing adds a lot of side force to the trunk hatch, so the left and right edges of the wing will rub on the clam tips at the rear edge. I have PPF installed in the contact patch, but I have to replace it every so often. I do however love the style the wing adds! So for me, the benefits outweigh the downsides. View attachment 1259712
Looks fantastic! The red accents look great as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
The biggest drawback to me is that the wing adds a lot of side force to the trunk hatch, so the left and right edges of the wing will rub on the clam tips at the rear edge. I have PPF installed in the contact patch, but I have to replace it every so often.
the force you are speaking about is called downforce, that actually is bending the supports. you should put a strong rubber spacer in order to transfer the downforce from the rear hatch to the body.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm highly considering ordering the GT4 rear wing for my 400, however I'm concerned about a few details:

1) Visibility out the rear window. Does anyone have a good pic of this wing from inside the car looking out the rear window?
2) If I do this install I'm considering leaving the middle, black wing section with brake light on the car. Apparently this section has to be milled down to be smooth with the hatch if removed.

Thoughts? Any other 400, 410, GT owners considering the GT4 wing?
Visibility out of the rear window? :ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Good one

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm late to the party but as others have said, the 400 tailgate has accomodations for the center of the 400 wing. We have an FAQ on it here: Will the GT4 Rear Wing fit a 400? --Sherman
To go along with this (pictures are of center mount removed):

you can also go the other direction and repurpose the center mount:

Its either body work or fabrication work but these are the 2 "clean" options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a trick to getting the felt trim piece inside the boot removed to access the fasteners for the standard 400 wing/spoiler? I can feel the clips but am unsure of how to remove without sticking a breaker tool in there. Are the odds of breaking the clips huge or is that just part of the disassembly? Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts