The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a sim racing fan, mostly Papy stuff (GPL and NR2003) but I have trying out the press relase of GTR from SimBin (www.simbin.com). Since I sold my Miata I've been doing a lot of virtual sports car driving. (Never could do 200 MPH at Le Mans in the Miata)

I think it really, really rocks. The graphics are awesome. The president of the company races a viper in the FIA GT Championship (www.fiagt.com) and the physics are really growing on me (even all the bouncy stuff).

The car modeled in the press demo is the Lister Storm GT. I'm curious about how it compares to the Elise. Naively they top out at about the same (150 mph) and hit 100 mph in 3rd. Its really fun to drive -- handles a lot differently than the TransAm physics in NR2003.

I'm hoping its not too far from the Elise experience.

Great fun blasting around Spa tho, now that I can stay on the track most of the time :p

I know this is a bit OT but I have entertain myself until E-Day.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm interested in the sim racing, I've been playing a lot of GT 3 for the playstation, what you've posted looks like the next step, so how do you get into it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of Sim racing, what if the Tommi Karia ZZ2 did come to US shores... :crazyeyes

I know... no drop top, no fun... but look at the curves on that thing... :p

And it is supposed to cost less than a Noble (in Australia)... :bow:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to tell you what I know

Steve W said:
I'm interested in the sim racing, I've been playing a lot of GT 3 for the playstation, what you've posted looks like the next step, so how do you get into it?
Steve,

I'll be happy to tell you what I know about Sim Racing.

One thing to keep in mind is that the high end Sims are actually used by race car drivers to train and are a large leap in realism, requirements for computing power, and with driving aids turned off, take a long time to learn. On the high sim boards there are many race car drivers, ex race car drivers and "weekend warriors"

The current most realistic Sims are the Papyrus Sims, GPL (1967 F1 season) and Nascar Racing 2003 (now modified for road racing thank god). Dale Ernhard Jr uses NR2003 for training.

The new GTR sim looks really good, very real physics. They are actually going to model the changes to the track as the rubber marbles from the tires build up.

You will need a fast CPU and good graphics card.

More later

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the games are networked

Steve W said:
Are there networking capabilities on any of these so you can generate a virtual race season or anything?
And people run very elaborate racing seasons complete with photos and news reports ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts