The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was on the phone with my Rotora rep the other day and I happened to mention that I was disappointed because they didn't have a big brake kit for my Elise. Well, as it turns out, they do! (For the Exige as well). Since Rotora hasn't really sold many of these kits, they asked me to market them to the Lotus community--which of course I'm more than happy to do.

If I can supply these kits for $1800 shipped to any destination in the USA, would anyone be interested?
Here's some promotional info:

Rotora big brake kit upgrades are made with the performance enthusiast in mind. Fully cast and CNC machined for the highest quality; the 4-Piston caliper brake kit system improves pedal feel by increasing clamping force while maintaining the stock master cylinder, ensuring stock brake balance. These kits combine performance with race-inspired aesthetics. All kits feature two-piece, heat-treated aluminum calipers with differential piston bore sizes engineered to each specific application. Rotora ceramic brake pads improve stopping while maintain low levels of heat, dust and squeal. Included stainless-steel lines prevent brake hose expansion and provide a stiffer, sure-footed pedal feel. Stainless-steel lines also meet D.O.T. compliance and meet the FMVSS-106 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard). All kits are ABS compatible and calipers come factory pre-installed. Eliminates use of e-brake with rear brake kit upgrade. (Only applies to certain applications).

-Rotors are e-coated (black finish) to prevent orrosion and prolong life
-15%-20% larger surface area compared to stock O.E. rotors
-Slotted rotors provide consistent heat dissipation for continuous hard braking, reduced warping and brake fade
-Direct bolt-on replacement
-DOT approved, stainless-steel braided brake lines
-Rotora kits are direct bolt-on and require no machining or welding.
-All two-piece systems are also available in a cross-drilled/slotted pattern.
-Calipers can be powdercoated either in red or metallic blue
-Optional custom caliper colors include: gunmetal, black, blue, yellow, orange, gold, chrome ($350 add'l)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Comparing the Rotora kit to a VERY EXPENSIVE option such as the AP Racing kit, there are two factors which really stick out.

First, Rotora's calipers are FORGED, not cast. Forged calipers are not only lighter, but stronger and have less flex as well. Overall workmanship goes to Rotora.

Second, Rotora uses ceramic brake pads as opposed to semi-metallic pads. Why are ceramic pads better? Because semi-metallic pads retain heat--which is obvioulsy not beneficial over the long run. Ceramic pads reduce wear. Again, Rotora's at the advantage.

Also, Rotora's stainless steel brake lines have a polymer coated which prevents the build up of brake dust. Not only that, but their connections are zinc coated as well! Rotora's kits come fully assembled, so installation is as simplified as could be because they're completely bolt-on. Though I haven't seen what AP Racing's kit looks like right out of the box, I do believe it requires a bit of assembly. From what I understand, AP Racing's brake kits are really made for heavy track use ONLY--way overkill for a street car. On the other hand, Rotora's big brake kits and their included H2 pads are more suited for regular street driving and light track use. Upgraded H6 and H8 heavy-duty racing pads are available to swap in for track days if you really want to step it up.

More info to follow...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this kit includes the brake lines and pads?

How much do they weigh compared to stock (rotors)?

You said not for heavy track use like AP racing. Are they still better than stock?

Is $1800 a good price for a brake kit? I don't know what brake kits generally go for.
Yes of course--EVERYTHING needed to upgrade your brakes to a competition-level brake kit. And to clarify how these compare to AP Racing's kit, I was referring to Rotora's pads being more familiar to stock--but can be upgraded to the exact same feel as AP's if you're into heavy track use. Regardless of what pads you use, we're talking about a kit that'll give you whiplash if you fit the brakes aggressively enough. We're talkin about stopping on a dime--a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERNCE from your stock brakes!

Big brake kits normally go for around $1500-$2000 depending on the vehicle. A Honda Civic will be on the lower side simply due to supply-and-demand. Unfortunately, the Elise/Exige kits are going to be on the higher end of the spectrum--though it's still MORE THAN $1000 LESS than what AP Racing's kit is selling for!!!

I'll get a weight for you asap...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Please comment on compatibility with stock and other aftermarket pads such a Pagid.
Also, do I understand correctly that the rotors can ordered slotted without cross-drilling?

Q

·
0 Posts
People will also want to know what wheels they fit under? stock wheels, LSS wheels, etc.

A lot of the big brake upgrades require wheel changes due to clearance issues.

Q

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please comment on compatibility with stock and other aftermarket pads such a Pagid.
Also, do I understand correctly that the rotors can ordered slotted without cross-drilling?
Big brake kits are not compatible with stock-sized brake pads because the calipers and rotors are much larger. (Hence, the "big" in big brake kit). ;) That's why this kit includes Rotora's own ceramic H2 pads--and you have the option to choose the H6 and/or H8 as well.

The rotors are normally just slotted, but can be drilled by request.

People will also want to know what wheels they fit under? stock wheels, LSS wheels, etc.

Q
Yes, that was actually the question that I stressed the most when my Rotora rep mentioned the availability of this kit to me. Unfortunately, the gentleman who originally did the test for for them only had aftermarket wheels on his Elise--so they need him to test fit his OEM wheels with the brake upgrade as well. I am hoping for an immediate response regarding this issue.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
so 1800 only get you 2 corners? not 4?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
theres only 2 in the [pic

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Everybody should keep in mind that if you can already lock your tires up (or I should say get the ABS to activate) then no amount of big brake kit is going to make your car stop FASTER. Certainly may improve feel and robustness under heavy use, but won't actually stop your car any faster. The claim that it's a night and day difference how fast these brakes will stop your car compared to stock is just a silly claim.

To the person inquiring about weight: The stock Elise/Exige rotors are a little over thirteen pounds each. But the rotors offered here should only be compared to the AP kit; I don't know what those weight.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Everybody should keep in mind that if you can already lock your tires up (or I should say get the ABS to activate) then no amount of big brake kit is going to make your car stop FASTER. Certainly may improve feel and robustness under heavy use, but won't actually stop your car any faster. The claim that it's a night and day difference how fast these brakes will stop your car compared to stock is just a silly claim.

To the person inquiring about weight: The stock Elise/Exige rotors are a little over thirteen pounds each. But the rotors offered here should only be compared to the AP kit; I don't know what those weight.

Correctumundo.

Rotors seem a bit heavy. Can you order the kit without the rotors and without the pads?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Everybody should keep in mind that if you can already lock your tires up (or I should say get the ABS to activate) then no amount of big brake kit is going to make your car stop FASTER. Certainly may improve feel and robustness under heavy use, but won't actually stop your car any faster.
I thought the goal of a kit like this was so the brakes could run cooler under heavy frequent use. Maybe I'm off base; feel free to steer me right.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Q
Ok, I did get a response on this...and no, the Rotora BBK will not fit with the stock 16" front wheels. However, they are VERY interested in making a kit with slightly smaller dimensions to accomodate those of you (like me) who would like to keep the stock wheels.

What does "eliminates the use of e-brake" mean? No emergency brake? :eek:
Sorry, I edited that--it only refers to rear brake kit upgrades. Pretty much any REAR brake kit out there will eliminate the e-brake unless a parking system is included. Rotora is seriously considering a rear brake upgrade as well, but will probably focus on a trimmed down front first that will work with the stock front wheels. The rear upgrade won't be too far behind, but really isn't entirely necessary unless your Elise/Exige is a dedicated track car.

Is that a lot? I have nothing to compare to. What are stock rotors?
It's a 3-4-lb difference, I believe. Considering the benefits of a big brake kit, (not to mention being a LOT safer on auto-x days), this difference is certainly justified.

so 1800 only get you 2 corners? not 4?
Yes, it's a FRONT brake upgrade only. As I've stated above, the rears will be developed as soon as we can get a test-fitter in Cali to swing by.

A fair point. However, you bring up the biggest problem with the stock Elise/Exige braking system...as soon as you jam on the brakes, the car comes to a sudden halt--which can lock up the wheels or activate the ABS. Any professional will tell you that BRAKING depends more on tires and suspension, rather than the actual brake setup that's being used. Still though, if you're looking for a reason why a big brake upgrade is better, that's because they will have better modulation of the brakes when compared to stock. In essense, the amount of stopping power with a BBK will be directly proportionate to the amount of pressure you put on the brake pedal. Since the stock brakes can lock up quickly, it is safer to have a braking system that compensates for the amount of stoppage you actually need. Also, a greater diameter of disc will absorb much more thermal heat than the stock one--so you'll have a constant brake feel, instead of it fading away as the disc and pads heat up.

Correctumundo.

Rotors seem a bit heavy. Can you order the kit without the rotors and without the pads?
The 3-4lb difference for a larger rotor, disc, and caliper is quite reasonable. You cannot just use Rotora's calipers with the stock rotors. That's like trying to fix a broken leg with a band-aid and some Robitussin!

I thought the goal of a kit like this was so the brakes could run cooler under heavy frequent use. Maybe I'm off base; feel free to steer me right.
EXACTLY! Not only is this beneficial for regular everyday driving, but it's almost REQUIRED for track use.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts