The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
Geez.....mine's for sale for HALF that much !!

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Nothing more than adjustment for the local currency.
Not really as standard of living is not proportional. Like Singapore with highest standard of living but a Honda civic is well over $100k USD, doesn't make it very affordable.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not really as standard of living is not proportional. Like Singapore with highest standard of living but a Honda civic is well over $100k USD, doesn't make it very affordable.
It's all relative. The cost of living to you and me in terms of USD or euro is expensive but not to the locals, who enjoy the benefits of the government's campaign to stimulate the economy by artificially inflating the bhat, thus serving to flood the sovereign economy with currencies like the above.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Don't know about Thailand but in Singapore they tack on a hefty vehicle tax to prevent too many cars from being on the road. I believe the Civic would cost $25k while you pay $75k to the government.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You guys in the states are very lucky with the prices you have on your cars. The Evora S in Lebanon (before discounts and negotiation) is around 165k. This extra 60-70k is in import duty, car tax, and registration tax.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Don't know about Thailand but in Singapore they tack on a hefty vehicle tax to prevent too many cars from being on the road. I believe the Civic would cost $25k while you pay $75k to the government.
Right, huge duties to control car population (in Singapore) or importation also in Singapore a huge fee for right to register a car even on a motorcycle this can be a $50k fee and goes up from there.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,483 Posts
Here we have a different economic structure with a middle class. They have, HAVES and HAVE Nothings. The scale is completely polar where ours is more of a bell curve. Same in China, Indonesia, Malay etc. too. Even Singapore is polar, just less so.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Right, huge duties to control car population (in Singapore) or importation also in Singapore a huge fee for right to register a car even on a motorcycle this can be a $50k fee and goes up from there.
They called that "right" the Certificate of Entitlement.

Here we have a different economic structure with a middle class. They have, HAVES and HAVE Nothings. The scale is completely polar where ours is more of a bell curve. Same in China, Indonesia, Malay etc. too. Even Singapore is polar, just less so.
All that is changing in SG. Std of living is getting higher and yet salary isn't improving much. It's overpopulated. I reckon in the next 5 years, pple will start migrating out of the country.

I have to say one thing though. It's not like they tax cars there with exorbitant amts and public transportation is messed up. On the contrary, pub trans in SG is still superbly efficient and frankly there is no reason to own a car there.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hefty tax to prevent too many cars from being on the road? Not true in Thailand. Government just finished a new-car-buyer program that put about 700,000 new cars on the road -- in the heart of Bangkok (i.e., in a place where traffic sucked already even without those added cars).

Import tax on Lambos was about 300% when I talked to someone at Niche a couple years ago. Sales person didn't immediately know the amount for Lotuses. Cost of an Elise was about $116k US.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Including all taxes I paid 104.000€ for my Evora S, which is currently about 140000 USD.

·
Registered
545 Posts
All that is changing in SG. Std of living is getting higher and yet salary isn't improving much. It's overpopulated. I reckon in the next 5 years, pple will start migrating out of the country.
Already started, some people commute from MY to SG every day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Niche is the one that had it on display at siam paragon huge mall but has a bunch of exotic car dealers in the mall.

The girl who was working this was such a cocky bitch who thought she was the **** probably making 3 dollars an hour.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Is Lotus back on display at the Paragon? Nice. Niche had cleared most stuff out save for Lambo and maybe Audi or Porsche. The majority of their spots were taken over by H&M (I think). Anyhow, never had a problem with their staff. One girl even let me take an Elise color chart home.

Niche recently moved their actual dealership. Or, at least, that was the plan. I haven't been to the new place yet (which is supposed to be huge). It's closer to Suvarnabhumi Airport and a pain to get to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That price is through taxes and stuff? Can't you import one from an EU country where prices are better like Germany or from UK?
I can only speak for Austria: Cars are much cheaper in Germany due to lower taxes. However it's illegal for someone living in Austria to drive with German plates for more than one month. (And it's up to the driver to evidence that the car is *not* driven in Austria most).

·
Registered
25 Posts
i paid an equiv of USD160k for Evora NA IPS in Malaysia and for that price, the lotus car has been "subsidized" by Proton. I was told without the subsidy, the EVORA would have costs in the region of USD220k-USD250k.

Lambo Aventador costs about USD1M here...

crazy price...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts