The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently they were having an unveiling for the people who had bought the car in Chicago. This silver car is the #4 to be delivered. They had a red one that they were taking future owners out on drives in downtown with. The rep said they had about 50 people in Chicago signed up for the car. What a surprise to see one randomly in person. I thought I'd have to wait a year or so to see it. Car looks great in person. That's my car sitting in the background of one of the pics.

2 days earlier in my garage:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Good find...

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
That's my car sitting in the background of one of the pics.
You drive a cab??

electric cars seem like a bad deal to me, as they are expensive automotive assets w/such limited use. A real cheap commuter car, maybe.

But, a medium to expensive car w/such a short range that takes so long to recharge (esp on 110v)......It's mostly for people who wish to make a statement. If any new technology is in there, that would be nice.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Call it a stepping stone.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You drive a cab??
Yes, and incidentally, just happened to be an Elise there, too.

The Tesla rep said that they can overheat at the 125mph max speed if driven for too long so they were working on a track/motorsport version of the car too. I think I overheard that you needed a 220V adapter to charge the car and the person in the building had actually installed a separate circuit for the charger. The interesting thing is that when the car is plugged in, there is this pulsating yellow light that surrounds the "charger" cap.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The Tesla rep said that they can overheat at the 125mph max speed if driven for too long so they were working on a track/motorsport version of the car too. I think I overheard that you needed a 220V adapter to charge the car and the person in the building had actually installed a separate circuit for the charger. The interesting thing is that when the car is plugged in, there is this pulsating yellow light that surrounds the "charger" cap.
Thanks for the pics Ramsen. :up:

Ahhh, that is why I have not seen a marketing event where the Tesla is at the track, and a good car to compare against would be our beloved Elise.

More details plz.
Did you see the car and drive up in your Elise? I bet that got their attention. I would love to see the Tesla in person.

I had a feeling the car would need a dedicated 220V circuit for charging. But I guess if the garage can support a air compressor it should be fine with this car.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
i just noticed that in the pic with the car cover there looks to be a 220v plug in the background, i wonder if they plugged it in prior to the cover - you wouldn't want to run out of gas, er i mean electricity while demoing for a client. :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I had a feeling the car would need a dedicated 220V circuit for charging.
The car comes with a home charging system that is wired to 220v. It charges in 3.5 hours (empty to full) or 2 hours for a typical 'top-off.'

There is an option for a mobile charging system that runs on standard current; it would evidently charge slower.

I'll be interested to see if Tesla can pull off the next phase of their business plan, a $70-80k luxury sedan.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i wonder if the upward-facing door handles will have problems due to collecting water?..they appear to drain into the rear wheel wells, at least...

...for that matter, the rear deck looks likely to pond quite a bit, too, if parked on a downhill slope...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
glb,

I actually read an article that said electric vehicles are the transportation mode the the future. It is the ultimate flex fuel car, it doesn't care if the electricity is produced via hydrogen, coal, nuclear, hydroelectric.

I am still nerves on the environmental effects of many hundreds of pounds of dead batteries in 10 or so years, but..

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NICE FIND! Who will be selling them here?
That's the one question I realized later I should have asked. The rep didn't volunteer up any info about it though.

Thanks for the pics Ramsen. :up:

More details plz.
Did you see the car and drive up in your Elise? I bet that got their attention. I would love to see the Tesla in person.
Ya, everyone took a big gander at my car. The way the driveway is set up makes it quite obvious when a flashy red car comes by. I drove around and parked in front because I needed to quickly run upstairs. Of course, I walked over and said hi to everyone and started asking questions. I got my car out of there quick because I didn't want to steal any of their thunder. I'm sure they want to differentiate themselves from the Elise as much as possible. The rep said they use only 6% of the same parts. This may be old news to others but apparently the chassis is modified for the Tesla (I thought it was the same with different body panels and engine added). The car had A048s in the same 16/17 staggered set up we do.

i just noticed that in the pic with the car cover there looks to be a 220v plug in the background, i wonder if they plugged it in prior to the cover - you wouldn't want to run out of gas, er i mean electricity while demoing for a client. :p
If people want, I can go take a pic of the charging set up but it pretty much looks like a 15" by 15" black box. They were charging it the day prior to the event.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just remembered that when I talked to them the day before (in the garage/basement while they were charging the car), one guy had just dropped something behind the passenger seat and they were trying to fish it out. I decided not to be an ass and tell them that they would probably have to remove the seat from the car in order to get it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I just remembered that when I talked to them the day before (in the garage/basement while they were charging the car), one guy had just dropped something behind the passenger seat and they were trying to fish it out. I decided not to be an ass and tell them that they would probably have to remove the seat from the car in order to get it.
rotfl

The passenger seat isn't adjustable? So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Oh yeah, I'd love to see the charging setup.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So.. how much does it cost to charge the thing? And what is it's cost/mile as opposed to a dino burning Elise?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The car comes with a home charging system that is wired to 220v. It charges in 3.5 hours (empty to full) or 2 hours for a typical 'top-off.'

There is an option for a mobile charging system that runs on standard current; it would evidently charge slower.

I'll be interested to see if Tesla can pull off the next phase of their business plan, a $70-80k luxury sedan.
According to some of the reviews you CAN charge on 110, but a full charge takes 40, yes forty hours on 110 as opposed to the 3 or 4 as you cite on 220.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I guess the mobile charger is just intended for maintenance charging while at work, etc.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rotfl

The passenger seat isn't adjustable? So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Oh yeah, I'd love to see the charging setup.
It will take a day or two but I'll take a pic of the transformer when I can.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts