The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was staring at new Emira photos and it struck me that there isn't really a good spot to mount a front plate. It appears and seems logical that the center section is open for better airflow, so you wouldn't want to block that with a plate.

My state requires a front plate, though I don't mount them anyway. Given that most US states do require a front plate, I am really curious to see where they are meant to fit? Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,183 Posts
So I was staring at new Emira photos and it struck me that there isn't really a good spot to mount a front plate. It appears and seems logical that the center section is open for better airflow, so you wouldn't want to block that with a plate.

My state requires a front plate, though I don't mount them anyway. Given that most US states do require a front plate, I am really curious to see where they are meant to fit? Any thoughts on this?
You mean like the countless other sports cars that don’t have a spot for a front plate? 🙄 you can google it and get 20+ options. Sto and sho is popular.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I might have to bust out some engineering skills and create an automated one that hides under the carriage when not needed/wanted. I'm sure it's already been done tho..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I was wondering if I'd get some eye rolls with this post. I know about the sto and show, but always considered it an alternative to the standard plate location for those who didn't want to drill a plate.

I wasn't sure if a front plate location is required by regulations in the U.S. Yes it was a dumb question, but something to discuss nonetheless. Sorry about that if it's been discussed ad nauseum already.

PS I've never owned a sports car that didn't have a plate location. Even my Pcar has an area for a front plate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might have to bust out some engineering skills and create an automated one that hides under the carriage when not needed/wanted. I'm sure it's already been done tho..
I have seen one of these before. Can't remember what it was called though.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
The issue with motorized plate mounts will be the thickness when stowed, which on a relatively low ground clearance front end, will have a tendency to want to rip itself off on the first speed bump or steep driveway you drive over. From the videos/pics, it looks like the Emira will retain the rubber air dam underneath the lower lip, so options like the SNS will likely require drilling a pair of holes through it for the support arms. There's also the front tow hook location, but it again looks offset, just like on the Evoras, so having a non-centered plate will irk some.

On the US Evoras, Lotus does have a plastic plinth that's specifically to hold the front plates, but it requires drilling into the bumper cover to attach. I'm sure the Emira OE solution will be similar.

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
49 Posts
Ya I was wondering if I'd get some eye rolls with this post. I know about the sto and show, but always considered it an alternative to the standard plate location for those who didn't want to drill a plate.

I wasn't sure if a front plate location is required by regulations in the U.S. Yes it was a dumb question, but something to discuss nonetheless. Sorry about that if it's been discussed ad nauseum already.

PS I've never owned a sports car that didn't have a plate location. Even my Pcar has an area for a front plate.
To save drilling into the front bumper, a front tow hook license plate bracket would be your best bet. In CA, police seem to be cracking down on no front plates, esp in the L.A area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To save drilling into the front bumper, a front tow hook license plate bracket would be your best bet. In CA, police seem to be cracking down on no front plates, esp in the L.A area.
Oh I plan to have no front plate mounted. I don't even keep mine with me in my current car and never had a problem in 2 years. Not to say it may not come.
If I get pulled over (in the Emira), I'll just tell the officer it is a boutique car and has no spot for a front plate. 😬

·
Registered
8 Posts
...PS I've never owned a sports car that didn't have a plate location. Even my Pcar has an area for a front plate.
What? No sports cart I've owned had a front plate location.

And, regarding Porsches, I've owned 5 of them and not one of them had a front plate location. It was an option to have it drilled.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What? No sports cart I've owned had a front plate location.

And, regarding Porsches, I've owned 5 of them and not one of them had a front plate location. It was an option to have it drilled.
Seriously... There is CLEARLY room for a front plate on the actual bumper on a Porsche. It doesn't block anything, restrict airflow, or what have you. We don't have to use the tow hook in the air dam as there are obvious places to drill for the plate, whether you choose to or not.

The only sports cars that are really not designed with a front plate in mind are the super exotics, which I'm sorry to say, are out of my meager price range. So yes, to date I have never had a sports car that did not have a specified location for a front plate due to the bumper design.

And if you all think this is such a super ridiculous topic, why not ask the new owners of the 2021 Bronco's how they feel about their given front plate location 🙄

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Room" and "location" are far different in meaning. In your use of the word, "location," you imply a designated area that is made to accommodate a plate. Your use of "room" implies anywhere on the bumper or front fascia of a car. Doesn't take more than two screws. Might not look good, but......

·
Registered
26 Posts

I gather the car will come with a toe hook licence plate for that opening on the left of the car, front right side...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gather the car will come with a toe hook licence plate for that opening on the left of the car, front right side...
I guess the root of my question was this: the car has a lot of vents (I can only assume functional?) in front and placing a plate over any of them seems counterproductive. Yes, I'm probably over thinking it, as I do most things. But with plate requirements in most states, a large number of people will be running them. So I was just curious to know how people felt.

I meant this as a friendly discussion. The ugly front plate debate has come up before on other vehicles and we're all excited (especially the newbies like me who are learning still) about the new Emira. I will have to gather up a lot more courage and think twice, maybe three times before I create any more new posts.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I guess the root of my question was this: the car has a lot of vents (I can only assume functional?) in front and placing a plate over any of them seems counterproductive. Yes, I'm probably over thinking it, as I do most things. But with plate requirements in most states, a large number of people will be running them. So I was just curious to know how people felt.

I meant this as a friendly discussion. The ugly front plate debate has come up before on other vehicles and we're all excited (especially the newbies like me who are learning still) about the new Emira. I will have to gather up a lot more courage and think twice, maybe three times before I create any more new posts.
I think your question was fine, and no one will really know until a US version is released. Since it's a world car, I'm sure Lotus has already had to add consideration for US-based plate mounting. It'll probably be some ugly plastic plinth like in past models; not all dealers install these when they receive the cars, and I think future owners appreciate that, as no one wants holes drilled in their nice looking bumpers. Here's what the S1 Evora US plinth looked like:

The vents should all be very functional, and previously, blocking the air path with a giant US-sized front plate was not something that Lotus recommended, as it could lead to overheating (the case was an Evora owner had zip-tied it to the front grill). Mounting the plate on the OE plinth would move it lower, allowing air to pass over it and around it. I don't necessarily agree that a plate should affect intake air, but I'm also not an aerodynamics engineer, so maybe they know best.

The aftermarket vendors will likely create their own solutions so that there are either fewer holes drilled (or none at all), or a way to mount a front plate to an existing structure or hole (tow hook is a popular choice, even if it's not centered).

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Oh I plan to have no front plate mounted. I don't even keep mine with me in my current car and never had a problem in 2 years. Not to say it may not come.
If I get pulled over (in the Emira), I'll just tell the officer it is a boutique car and has no spot for a front plate. 😬
Depending on the cop…that approach may garner you the opportunity to take the same approach with a judge.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
On my Exige, I reduced the height of my tag by about 20% by bending the bottom 90 degrees, then velcroing it to the plinth. It did get some bemused notice from some cops who saw it in a restaurant parking lot. They commented that it was defacing the plate and technically illegal, but absent being pulled over for something really egregious, they’d give it a pass. At a Cars and Coffee I met a guy with a 2005 Ford GT who had his Maryland tag replicated in the size of a motorcycle tag for the front of his car. Technically illegal, but he was never cited.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts