The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think your question was fine, and no one will really know until a US version is released. Since it's a world car, I'm sure Lotus has already had to add consideration for US-based plate mounting. It'll probably be some ugly plastic plinth like in past models; not all dealers install these when they receive the cars, and I think future owners appreciate that, as no one wants holes drilled in their nice looking bumpers. Here's what the S1 Evora US plinth looked like:

View attachment 1292240 View attachment 1292241

The vents should all be very functional, and previously, blocking the air path with a giant US-sized front plate was not something that Lotus recommended, as it could lead to overheating (the case was an Evora owner had zip-tied it to the front grill). Mounting the plate on the OE plinth would move it lower, allowing air to pass over it and around it. I don't necessarily agree that a plate should affect intake air, but I'm also not an aerodynamics engineer, so maybe they know best.

The aftermarket vendors will likely create their own solutions so that there are either fewer holes drilled (or none at all), or a way to mount a front plate to an existing structure or hole (tow hook is a popular choice, even if it's not centered).
Thank you for this detailed explanation. That is quite the mounting bracket. I would definitely not want that drilled and mounted on my car.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Texas requires front plates. Been here since 1983 and never had one on any of my cars,especially my sports cars even my Evora. I have been written a warning about 4 times since 1983. If your nice and play stupid at least here you should be good to go. Other states seem to be more strict or you can catch a cop on a bad day, **** happens,

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
60 Posts
Oh I plan to have no front plate mounted. I don't even keep mine with me in my current car and never had a problem in 2 years. Not to say it may not come.
If I get pulled over (in the Emira), I'll just tell the officer it is a boutique car and has no spot for a front plate. 😬
Haha, let see if that sticks. All of my cars don't have front plates and the cars that I've bought brand new, I instructed them to not drill the bumper. I'm sure Lotus would grant the same request.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Haha, let see if that sticks. All of my cars don't have front plates and the cars that I've bought brand new, I instructed them to not drill the bumper. I'm sure Lotus would grant the same request.
One time I walked away from a car deal because they drilled the Front-bumper in make-ready so I re-ordered the car:)

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6 speed MKIV
60 Posts
One time I walked away from a car deal because they drilled the Front-bumper in make-ready so I re-ordered the car:)
That would be a deal breaker for me too. Even if they send it to the bodyshop to fill, the damage is already done.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can use a front plate frame that mounts in the front tow hook. The guy who sold me his 10 year old M3 with only 14k miles back in late 2019 had one. Picture below.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,214 Posts
Or just get a front plate waiver from the local sheriff......if you still live in a free state, this is possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is the Evora US plinth provided by Lotus? Or aftermarket vendor?
thanks for the information.

I think your question was fine, and no one will really know until a US version is released. Since it's a world car, I'm sure Lotus has already had to add consideration for US-based plate mounting. It'll probably be some ugly plastic plinth like in past models; not all dealers install these when they receive the cars, and I think future owners appreciate that, as no one wants holes drilled in their nice looking bumpers. Here's what the S1 Evora US plinth looked like:

View attachment 1292240 View attachment 1292241

The vents should all be very functional, and previously, blocking the air path with a giant US-sized front plate was not something that Lotus recommended, as it could lead to overheating (the case was an Evora owner had zip-tied it to the front grill). Mounting the plate on the OE plinth would move it lower, allowing air to pass over it and around it. I don't necessarily agree that a plate should affect intake air, but I'm also not an aerodynamics engineer, so maybe they know best.

The aftermarket vendors will likely create their own solutions so that there are either fewer holes drilled (or none at all), or a way to mount a front plate to an existing structure or hole (tow hook is a popular choice, even if it's not centered).

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I was watching the Carfection video for the umpteenth time and came across this shot:

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.02.36 PM.png

So at the very least for UK/Euro spec plates they'll have a plinth, but based on the holes in the front it looks it will definitely require drilling (ugh). Chances are they'll provide something similar for US plates, but if it does require front-oriented drilling I think I'd rather see what Sto-n-Sho comes up with.

Another snag I noticed was on the gray car it has what are likely to be the front parking/emergency braking sensors. The tow hook mount location sits probably only a couple inches away from one of those sensors so a tow hook plate bracket wouldn't work for anyone who options that package.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I was watching the Carfection video for the umpteenth time and came across this shot:

View attachment 1292420

So at the very least for UK/Euro spec plates they'll have a plinth, but based on the holes in the front it looks it will definitely require drilling (ugh). Chances are they'll provide something similar for US plates, but if it does require front-oriented drilling I think I'd rather see what Sto-n-Sho comes up with.

Another snag I noticed was on the gray car it has what are likely to be the front parking/emergency braking sensors. The tow hook mount location sits probably only a couple inches away from one of those sensors so a tow hook plate bracket wouldn't work for anyone who options that package.
good eye-catch! Thanks for the information. Maybe applying 3M removable adhesive tape for all the possible surface contact for the plinth? Instead of drilling?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Is the Evora US plinth provided by Lotus? Or aftermarket vendor?
The Evora plinth is an OEM part, but I don't believe US cars came with them. The dealerships were probably supposed to order them, but I'd imagine most owners weren't looking for holes to be drilled.

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 1292420

Great observations

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
In Colorado I've been pulled over several times for no front plate on the Esprit. Especially when the economy isn't doing well!
I finally put the front plate on. It's just not worth the hassle. Just imagine if you had a glass of wine with dinner and get pulled over due to the license plate!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
you could also do what all the tuners do around here and put it on the dash
Not legal in most states that require front-mounted plates. If it isn't going to be on the car, then I'd rather it just sit in the trunk until needed.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts