The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After our last "Sunday Lotus Drive" in the Santa Monica Mountains, and after reflecting about the "good and bad" during the drive, I summarized a guide to future group drives.

Planning:
1. Posted on LT in the "RoadTrip" section explaining the length, duration, lunch etc. The routes should also mentioned.
2. A "Theme" or destination makes the day more interesting!
3. Participants should confirm their interest. This allows the leader to plan the number in the group, restaurant reservations etc. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
4. The "Starting Point" should be easily located including a gas station, fast food and restrooms available.
5. A "DRIVER's Meeting" will gage the driver's expertise and skill level. This drive is NOT A RACE! The drive must follow laws (as possible) and also follows safe and courteous driving practices. All participants will know the route, the type of road condition etc.
6. The last car in the line volunteers as the "sweep" car. The sweep car MUST have continuous radio communication with the lead car. Especially there is a temporary emergency, stopping the drive.

The Route:
1. The roads should be checked out before the drive. A "pre-run" drive will check out the traffic, road conditions, presence of bicycles, motorcycles and pedestrian traffic.
2. There must be rest stops, especially for those who have weak bladders. An hour of driving and a restroon is a welcome break!
3. Scenery gives a flair to a Sunday drive. Coastal and mountain views can be spectacular, allowing a viewpoint stop.
4. A simple direction sheet or map helps to avoid being lost.
5. If there is a transition, turn, traffic light etc., there should be a "Queue-up" to allow everyone to catch up.

Car, Driver and Passenger....
1. Before you leave home, your Lotus must be maintained as usual, checking tire pressures, fluids, etc. Make sure you have a FULL TANK BEFORE YOU ARRIVE! (full tank, empty bladder!)
2. If you are carrying a passenger, it's your responsibility to make them comfortable during the drive. If you were the passenger, and someone else drove your Lotus, how would you feel?:eek:
3. Drive at YOUR COMFORTABLE PACE! If you want to drive faster than the lead, you're welcome to pass (safely) and you'll be the leader. During my "drives" I assume there are cars carrying passengers. The least experience should be the near the end of the line. I will NOT lose a car, I will wait for the line at the next transition/turn.
4. FRS Radio Communication is essential! This is an inexpensive device that makes a drive less stressful and a pleasure!

To Bring....
1. Plentiful drinking water
2. Sunscreen
3. Snacks
4. Sunglasses
5. Jacket
6. Camera, cellphone
7. Extra keys

Additions from this list is welcomed! Please!

The next Sunday Lotus Drive will be June 1st, details forthcoming....

--Hal

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
FRS radios - think I got mine for $60 a pair with recharging station.. I would add hat to the list of things to have if going topless, and it probably would not be bad for the lead driver to give out his/her cell number so that radio-less people could call and say they are splitting off to go home etc. Though I would not post this online in the thread, give it to people who are there in person. Those of us that know each other well should probably swap #s

Also I would like to add, if a car in the group experiences tech failure or blow out, passenger needs to puke etc. The last car needs to radio the first car and tell them to hold up ahead, then the last car should go back and see what is going on - radio to the lead car. It would suck to have a mechanical or even possibly a medical issue way out in the middle of nowhere and your group zips off leaving you stranded..... Anybody in the group who is restless or does not feel like helping could take off on their own !

I think a 2 hour twisty drive should have a mid point scenic stop with bathrooms ! And actually I think the out to a destination, lunch then back kinds of drives are really good every once in a while. Also a picnic- bring your own lunch to a park or beach destination could be good, we did this on last years "drive to nowhere" and it worked out great.

and yes +1 FILL YOUR TANK UP PRE DRIVE SO THAT UPWARDS OF 20 -30 PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO SIT AROUND WAITING JUST FOR YOU!!! sorry a pet peeve, very very very rude......

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Tunnels! lots of tunnels!

and turn-by-turn directions like Atwell always provides! :) so you can repeat the drives at your leisure!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of tunnels! Everyone slows down before entering the tunnel, then hit the second cam! This is the closest I can get from a LUDICROUS SPEED burst!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Lots of tunnels! Everyone slows down before entering the tunnel, then hit the second cam! This is the closest I can get from a LUDICROUS SPEED burst!
And if you are next to Shay2nak's Exige be sure to have earplugs for the tunnels :crazyeyes

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
#1: Cops will certainly appreciate that. ;)

#6: continuous radio contact is unrealistic in my experience, groups get spread out quite a bit. Sweeper should exchange cell phone numbers with a couple others in the group.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
-1 Nah, not an issue here in LA land or I imagine any big city area, the CHP does not have the resources to scan the Elise Talk/Community/Roadtrip section and send out their elite special Lotus task force to parachute in on us ;). And if they had to choose a car forum to monitor, I am sure they would choose an Evo , Subaru/ tuner or motorcycle site not the Lotus site.....

Besides they already set up speed traps and have very heavy patrols in the areas we drive, every weekend, with helicopters to boot. Also we are usually driving spirited but safely in those areas, not like in the Ronin video posted here.... Last weekend we drove past several cops, actually many, and no tickets, in fact in the 20 or so group drives I have done we have never gotten tickets while on the actual drive. The radios help a lot here as well, the rear car can say hey guys I saw a cop coming up on us in the rear, and the front car can say hey cops ahead...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
#1: Cops will certainly appreciate that. ;)

#6: continuous radio contact is unrealistic in my experience, groups get spread out quite a bit. Sweeper should exchange cell phone numbers with a couple others in the group.
The FRS radios are brilliant and very easy to use, it really keeps the group together from my experience, odd that you have had the opposite happen! I think the key is to have a designated lead and tail car. When I would go on drives NOT using radios, usually at some point 1-2 people would get left behind at long red lights, never to be seen again. The radios have one big ol button so no need to look at them to use them ,and are on constantly, we even warn each other about rocks in the road, cyclists or slow drivers. And when 4-5 people in a medium size group all have radios it is really fun, almost like a fighter squadron, people saying things like "did you see that girl?" "check out the lambo coming up on our right" "dude she waved at you"
funny stuff sometimes ( yes I'm a geek) Another nice element is we can run a kind rolling closed race course.

If we have slow traffic blocking us on a great twisty road that we want to shred, and know that no other streets join the stretch we are on, we can all slow way down or even stop and let the slow traffic get way ahead, and the rear car can notify the group if any traffic is coming up in the rear, then the lead car says go and you have a nice clear stretch for a while !

·
Registered
248 Posts
Great guide Hal. It has been a while since I have gone out with the group. I will have to put up some of the videos that I took of the past drives. Would like to add that the sweep car should also know or have driven the route before. Many times a group will get separated and the cars left behind don't know where to go even with a map. FRS radios are great help as well as the cell phone idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts