The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you order that factory hardtop....

There are two aftermarket "gullwing" hardtops that allow easier ingress/egress. I think if we can get 10 or so orders we could get a group discount.

The first is Middlemoor Mouldings @ $2,712. Note: Middlemoor also makes a "Union Jack" flag-emblem hardtop (in standard and gullwing).
http://elisehardtop.co.uk/gullwing1_middle_frame.htm

and the second company is Autostyle Solutions, whose gullwing hardtop is $ 3,617.
http://www.autostyle-solutions.com

Has anyone seen a comparison of the two gullwings? I'd be curious to know how their weight compares with the factory hard- and soft-tops. (and if they leak!)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I had initially considered getting a gullwing top, but once logical thought kicked in I realized it's pretty much pointless. I'll just carry the soft top in the boot on days when I'm riding topless in case I need to put it on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It depends on the discount we could get. I didn't order a hardtop for mine on the speculation that some enterprising composites company on this side of the pond would offer a cheaper gullwing solution than those you've listed.

For me, the cost would have to be much closer to $2k for one to be an attractive alternative.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I had initially considered getting a gullwing top, but once logical thought kicked in I realized it's pretty much pointless. I'll just carry the soft top in the boot on days when I'm riding topless in case I need to put it on.
The gull-wings fold up to fit in the trunk.
the standard hardtop doesn't.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The gull wing looks great and would be helpful for getting in and out of the car compared to having the soft top or Lotus hard top on. However, you will take up most of your trunk space if you detach the panels and you will not have a completely open top. Plus the price is rather high. Difficult choice with the various tradeoffs. Also, I wonder how good they are at matching the colors?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I know Tigga, the maker of one of the hardtops says it won't make a difference, but the entire seal on the roofline has been redesigned, including the little wings at the top corners of the windshield. This could cause a potential leak problem
Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I too am not going to order the OEM hard top since I can't carry it in my trunk. Gullwing sounds great but hard to swallow, specially with the rotten exchange rate. It'll have to be a sweet deal for me talk myself into it. It's a want not a need.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm also holding out for someone here in the US to make a gullwing top. It would make daily life with the car a little easier, and add some security. It's also damn sexy, which is nice. I think Autostyle solutions has the prettiest top, but I can't justify the cost.

Cade

·
Registered
228 Posts
So, I'm wondering how one makes good use of the factory hardtop, since it doesn't fit in the boot. So, like, drive around with it on, then realize you want some sun, drive home, drop it off, and go back out to drive?

I suppose it makes sense for those days when you know the entire day is going to be foul, or in foul weather climates (grew up in Rochester NY).

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The reason for the factory hardtop is more for long term use, it's not meant to be like a ttop deal where you pop it on and off easily.

I'm not getting one personally, for my situation don't need it. It's in a garage at home and work so soft top is just fine.

Chris

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yup.. Factory hardtop is designed more to put on in late fall and take off again in early spring.

Regular softtop use during the remaining time. (Or be like other Elise tough guys.. Roof off all year round! :D )

Fitting and removing the hardtop can be a bit of a job as you may also need to re-adjust the side windows to get a good seal against the rubbers.

As such it's not designed to be removed/installed on a regular basis.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
frayed said:
I suppose it makes sense for those days when you know the entire day is going to be foul, or in foul weather climates (grew up in Rochester NY).
Keep a baseball hat in the car, slip it on when it rains, works well. I never put the top up in my 944S2 Cab, except in the torrential downpoors of florida.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WHOA! I've been inundated with orders... not!

I like the Autostyles version but it really is a luxury item since mine will be a weekend type car. I think I'd only pay extra for the gullwing (or any hardtop) if it were to be used as a daily driver in rainy/cold weather.

However, if we COULD get the price down...

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
If you look closely at the gullwing hardtops, they're not seamless like the factory hard-top. There are tapered add-ons to the rear that look forced (to me). Personally, I think the factory hardtop looks great, fits seamlessly into the design, and costs 1/2 to 1/3 of the gullwing tops (remember to add in painting costs), and it won't make it any more difficult for me to get in/out of the car. There's no reason NOT to choose it over them.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
babak said:
Except the bling bling gull wing :D sorry couldn't resist.
The first gullwing isn't bling at all. It looks cheap, doesn't even fit right (the rear section overlaps the windows) and just sticks out like a sore thumb. The AutoStyle gullwing looks better, but still looks a little "forced". Not as attractive as the stock hardtop if you ask me.

Bling would be the LAST reason I would think anyone would want the gullwing tops. Primary reason I can think of would be easy of entry/exit. However, I would suggest you guys ask around about the added ease before dropping 4 large on a blingerific disaster!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I Would consider the Gullwing for security reasons. I could park and put the hard top on. No guards on duty at the motel 6.
It is hard to justify anything over low 2k
range.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Is everyone aware of the difficulty in
entering/exiting the car with the top on?
You all better check it out 'personally' before dismissing the gull wing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts