The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing people say the Gullwing hardtop is available for our cars? If so that kind of ticks me off as I would've preferred to buy that instead of the standard hardtop. Anyone know if this is true and if so how much extra is it to get one?

·
Registered
591 Posts
It is not a Lotus option. It is an aftermarket item. I will let someone else post the price, but I think the conversion rate equated to the high side of $2500 without VAT, unpainted.

I think one our sponsors is importing them.

Greg

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
They look good Arno, from what I understand it all boils down to the centeral bar and how it mounts.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have no experience with any of these roofs.

All I know is that the one from Production Glassfibre (who bought the original company who desinged this one, middlemoor) is cheaper. It's probably also technically less advanced than the one from Autostyle.

For instance the Autostyle one uses no front transverse fixture, but manages to attach and seal the removable panels to the windscreen surround directly. The one from production glassfibre 'cheats' a little and uses an 'H' shape for the frame that the panels fit into.

Technically more advanced features are often also more expensive to design and manufacture, which is reflected in the price of the products.

For both roofs the panels can be stored in the luggage compartiment and yes. The biggest 'trick' is the center T-bar piece which you install semi-permanently so you can then insert/remove the 'doors' quickly.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmmmmm nevermind then. Looks like the T-bar is a permanent fixture. I was thinking it would remove just like the normal hardtop. The gullwings were just a nice option for getting in and out with out removing the whole top. For twice the price I'll just stick with the standard hardtop. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Latest info on their site has 'Sector111'
saying that the Autostyle-Solutions Gull-Wing won't be available until around March, 05. They will be distributing the item in U.S. and it has gone throught extensive testing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As discussed previously, the Autostyle gullwing hatch opening "blends" better with the S2's doorline. (The other's is offset a few inches).

I do like the other's interior/headliner shown on the middle photo (Ardent Red). Looks like they've done some development there.

We're still waiting for SELOC (or anyone!) to do a comparison. Stay tuned to EliseTalk for a possible group buy on either of these two gullwings.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
We recently decided to license the Gullwing top design from Autostyle Solutions. We have identified a very reputable composite body manufacturer who is keen to produce them here in the US. I met them last week to review their manufacturing capability. They also have the ability to supply several other 'tasty bits'.

Though this delays our anticipated Gullwing launch, I am quite excited about our ability to produce a product that is of the highest quality at a competitive price.

We plan to have product ready by Spring '05.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That sounds good. I figure the hard top is a better theft deterrent especially given the lack of lockable storage space in the car.

I won't be getting my car in a very long while, but my short test drive in the open top Elise tells me that there's no way I'd like to get a hard top without the gullwing feature (still need to test it out in person though). Beyond that, it'll be useful to have some kind of handle bar if space can be found, to make it easier to pull yourself out of the car. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
cxcheng said:
That sounds good. I figure the hard top is a better theft deterrent especially given the lack of lockable storage space in the car.

I won't be getting my car in a very long while, but my short test drive in the open top Elise tells me that there's no way I'd like to get a hard top without the gullwing feature (still need to test it out in person though). Beyond that, it'll be useful to have some kind of handle bar if space can be found, to make it easier to pull yourself out of the car. What do you guys think?
Didn't you see the giant shoe-horn option for extricating
people from the Elise?

·
Registered
513 Posts
shinoo said:
We recently decided to license the Gullwing top design from Autostyle Solutions. We have identified a very reputable composite body manufacturer who is keen to produce them here in the US. I met them last week to review their manufacturing capability. They also have the ability to supply several other 'tasty bits'.

Though this delays our anticipated Gullwing launch, I am quite excited about our ability to produce a product that is of the highest quality at a competitive price.

We plan to have product ready by Spring '05.
Good deal - I'm in. Price? And will we be able to order it color matched, or will we have to get it painted on our own?

·
Registered
711 Posts
What I really want to see from the after market tops is a see-through top. It would be even better if it was a gullwing or at least easily removable.

Does anyone know if the tbar part of the top is structural at all? Or more importantly, would it reduce the damage of someone grabbing the window to get in and out?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
usofrob said:
What I really want to see from the after market tops is a see-through top. It would be even better if it was a gullwing or at least easily removable.

Does anyone know if the tbar part of the top is structural at all? Or more importantly, would it reduce the damage of someone grabbing the window to get in and out?
The T-Bar is bolted in place. Since you are likely to grab the windshield header at the corner, the T-Bar is not likely to help enough. I suspect the windshield will still flex if grabbed. :no:

I think you'll find that using the seats and steering wheel will become second nature.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wasn't really worried about me. I'm worried about potential passengers. I know I used them to get out on my test drive (there is picture proof on this site). So, now that I know better I won't do it again. Maybe I'll just let every passenger know before they get in the rules of the car. :)

- No grabbing the windshield
- Get you elbow out of the way when I'm shifting :)
- No asking me to drag race
- And finally, NO, you can't drive. :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
How would you use the gullwing roof exactly?

To get in I suppose you'd first open the door...then release the top and raise it. Or does it pop open on it's own? Then when you're in the seat you reach up and pull the top back down...latch-it or click it in place? Then close the door.

Comments?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts