The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself at the good graces of one of our local officers recently and as I was climbing out of my car to retrieve the reg from behind the seat a second officer pulled up in a Ford Expedition. After getting thought the pleasantries with officer #1 (who proptly left) I found Officer #2 to be a car junkie.

O#2: I saw the car come up on the screen so I thought I'd come check it out
Me: big smile
O#2: So want to trade?
Me: Sure, when is a good time?
O#2: Thought you may say that...

Rolls down rear driver side window to show me the inside which held the standard shot gun and assault rifle but also his M-32 40mm 6 shell grenade launcher... -eek- I live in the burbs.

30 minutes later I was back on the way to work. Both were great guys but you'd never know what those tinted windows conceal.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
I found myself at the good graces of one of our local officers recently and as I was climbing out of my car to retrieve the reg from behind the seat a second officer pulled up in a Ford Expedition. After getting thought the pleasantries with officer #1 (who proptly left) I found Officer #2 to be a car junkie.

O#2: I saw the car come up on the screen so I thought I'd come check it out
Me: big smile
O#2: So want to trade?
Me: Sure, when is a good time?
O#2: Thought you may say that...

Rolls down rear driver side window to show me the inside which held the standard shot gun and assault rifle but also his M-32 40mm 6 shell grenade launcher... -eek- I live in the burbs.

30 minutes later I was back on the way to work. Both were great guys but you'd never know what those tinted windows conceal.
Hmmm... was he a sergeant or a part time SWAT member on patrol?

Grenadiers don't drive around on patrol.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hmmm... was he a sergeant or a part time SWAT member on patrol?

Grenadiers don't drive around on patrol.
No joke, that is very very hard to believe.... Even if he was swat, there is no way he would be authorized to carry it around unless in route to a scene. Even then, swat would rarely really ever have a need for something like that.

·
6,183 Posts
No joke, that is very very hard to believe.... Even if he was swat, there is no way he would be authorized to carry it around unless in route to a scene. Even then, swat would rarely really ever have a need for something like that.
Well, I figured he was talking about the 40 mike mike tear gas canister launcher or even the 37mm version. There are a lot of departments with part time SWAT teams and the guys are out on general patrol as patrolmen until they get a SWAT call out and they roll directly there in their unit with all their equipment already there instead of having to call up and form the SWAT team and waiting at HQ and then roll out.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, I figured he was talking about the 40 mike mike tear gas canister launcher or even the 37mm version. There are a lot of departments with part time SWAT teams and the guys are out on general patrol as patrolmen until they get a SWAT call out and they roll directly there in their unit with all their equipment already there instead of having to call up and form the SWAT team and waiting at HQ and then roll out.
Canister launcher I will agree with! Haha but Swat will almost never use 400mm grenade launchers lol... If ever. :coolnana:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This, so much This haha!!!
If I didn't know the area I'd think we had a problem too....

He said it was loaded with "Less Lethal" shells. Some officers carry the shot guns loaded with bean bags. His grenade launcher had shells loaded with large rubber balls. I wasn't sure if he meant one large one in each shell or several in each shell. Not SWAT. A senior officer no doubt, but didn't get into rank. He also said it was interchangeable with other variety of less lethal projectiles.

Either way, I'd love to give that thing a whirl.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I was at a fun range a few years ago. Captain of the local SWAT team was training a new recruit. We had talked on previous outings. He .told me to raise my right hand and proceeded to deputize me for five minutes of active duty. I looked at him like he wa crazy and he said would you like to try some full automatic fire deputy? He handed me a full auto rifle and instructed me for five minutes. Fantastic time!

·
6,183 Posts
If I didn't know the area I'd think we had a problem too....

He said it was loaded with "Less Lethal" shells. Some officers carry the shot guns loaded with bean bags. His grenade launcher had shells loaded with large rubber balls. I wasn't sure if he meant one large one in each shell or several in each shell. Not SWAT. A senior officer no doubt, but didn't get into rank. He also said it was interchangeable with other variety of less lethal projectiles.

Either way, I'd love to give that thing a whirl.
37MM less lethal rubber crowd dispersing rounds hurt like crazy and can be lethal if deployed at close ranges.

There is a huge variety of munitions for use in those launchers. Awesome things.

·
6,183 Posts
I was at a fun range a few years ago. Captain of the local SWAT team was training a new recruit. We had talked on previous outings. He .told me to raise my right hand and proceeded to deputize me for five minutes of active duty. I looked at him like he wa crazy and he said would you like to try some full automatic fire deputy? He handed me a full auto rifle and instructed me for five minutes. Fantastic time!
FUN range indeed!

Anything with a Cyclic Rate of 700 to 800 rpm will be a fantastic time!:clap:
I've fired full auto weapons such as the Mac-10, Uzi, UMP, MP5, AR-15, and the AK-47. In a personal weapon, a very high cyclic rate is fun but useless. The 32 rounds in the Mac disappeared before I could even determine where I was hitting.

The Uzi with a much slower rate of fire made it so controllable that I was putting as many bullets as I want where I want. I emptied the whole mag full auto into a 6" square area from 15 yards. There is a reason why modern machine guns have mechanisms to slow the rate of fire.

Now, you want fun in a high cyclic rate weapon... try the Minigun or GAU-27. I'm waiting for my chance.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just head north to Oregon where full auto suppressed short barreled rifles are legal. Now wait to see the look on people's faces when I pull my M11 machine gun out of my lotus and my suppressed pistols :coolnana:
One kid at the range asked if I was James bond because of the cool guns and cool British car

Here is the GF with my full auto toy
YouTube - M11 SMG mag dump

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just remember guys if you come to the UK please leave the guns at home we cant be bothered with them ;-)

Unless your a Farmer, Soldier, Special Forces or Criminal..........

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just head north to Oregon where full auto suppressed short barreled rifles are legal. Now wait to see the look on people's faces when I pull my M11 machine gun out of my lotus and my suppressed pistols :coolnana:
One kid at the range asked if I was James bond because of the cool guns and cool British car

Here is the GF with my full auto toy
YouTube - M11 SMG mag dump
What are the laws on this? In Texas you can as well but it is very heavily regulated and you must get the tax stamp. Is it the same there?

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
FUN range indeed!

The Uzi with a much slower rate of fire made it so controllable that I was putting as many bullets as I want where I want. I emptied the whole mag full auto into a 6" square area from 15 yards. There is a reason why modern machine guns have mechanisms to slow the rate of fire.

Now, you want fun in a high cyclic rate weapon... try the Minigun or GAU-27. I'm waiting for my chance.
I completely agree. I was only referring to a “fantastic time” most people (who are not normal shooters) have while dumping a mag.

The MP5 at 800 rpms is my favorite. After proper instruction, a 30 round dump is easily contained within 6”.

But, GAU-27 has got to be a blast to fire….

·
6,183 Posts
Just remember guys if you come to the UK please leave the guns at home we cant be bothered with them ;-)

Unless your a Farmer, Soldier, Special Forces or Criminal..........
Of course you can, but you don't have to. Enough people get killed with knives and other weapons there as well because criminals who want to harm you... well... they don't care what the law says.

·
6,183 Posts
What are the laws on this? In Texas you can as well but it is very heavily regulated and you must get the tax stamp. Is it the same there?
Tax stamps and stuff are all federal requirements. Then the states can throw their own requirements onto the so called NFA weapons. In CA, suppressors, short barrel rifles/shotguns (except relics), and full auto weapons are not allowed by state law, period, without a destructive weapons permit, and those are just about impossible to get unless you are a SOT special dealer or such.

I completely agree. I was only referring to a “fantastic time” most people (who are not normal shooters) have while dumping a mag.

The MP5 at 800 rpms is my favorite. After proper instruction, a 30 round dump is easily contained within 6”.

But, GAU-27 has got to be a blast to fire….
I know you know, just wanted to throw it out there that rock n rollin' with a full auto is all fun until you try to hit something, and also when you are reloading because each mag only lasts you a few seconds.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts