The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some photos from today's (Sunday, June 20, 2004) Historic Sports Car West races at the California Speedway, Fontana, CA.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JD.

For me the highlight of the day was probably hearing and seeing that Ferrari at speed ('95, Gerhard Berger car). 16,000 RPM !:p
It sounded like a superbike on Meth, or like a swarm of really pissed-off hornets, a really really big swarm. Just amazing. I've heard more "vintage" F1 cars (late-70's - mid-80's) and those sound pretty amazing, and I've heard modern CART/Champ cars, but this was really something else. I've got some video clips with sound, if someone can tell me the bes way to post them, they're short but pretty good sound.

Anyway as far as coming out for the Elises, it turned out that Saturday would have been the day, 'cuz according to one of the people affiliated with the blue Exige, a federal Elise was out yesterday, and some demo laps were run, and one of the guys I talked with had a short ride as a passenger and he said it was impressive. They had a race early Sunday morning with about 4 Elises and Exiges (total) as well as the Super 7 photographed above, but it was before I got there. The blue Exige pictured was the winner. Hi Lillie, is that S190 Dan in that one photo near the Exige? I hadn't seen him at the time, but now that I've posted the photo he sort of appeared out of the background, strange...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Meat -

I see that the roof panel looks to be removable, even though it has an air scoop, so I can see from that standpoint why you would I.D. it as a Motorsport Elise, but the body panels are wider, which is why I thought it was an Exige. That and the rear wing. :confused: So, is it safe to say that a Motorsport Elise is essentially an Exige with a removable roof panel ?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Mikester

You have it backwards, my friend. The Exige was built to be the road-going version of the Motorsport Elise.

The Exige looks like this car - not the other way around.

There are many similarities between the two - but, there are more differences.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Yes, that is a Motorsport Elise, one of the few brought in in hopes of developing a race league which never happened. That car is owned/driven by Brent Smith of Smith Lotus. Very nice guy and long time elise enthusiast, which is why I'm buying my second car from him :)

And yes, the S1 was Dan's car, and in the background near the motorsport elise was indeed Dan.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
mikester said:
Hi Meat -

I see that the roof panel looks to be removable, even though it has an air scoop, so I can see from that standpoint why you would I.D. it as a Motorsport Elise, but the body panels are wider, which is why I thought it was an Exige. That and the rear wing. :confused: So, is it safe to say that a Motorsport Elise is essentially an Exige with a removable roof panel ?
Hello Mikester,

Have a look at this thread for more info.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=57668#post57668

Patrick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts