The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if you do decide to HID upgrade, please make sure you buy quality bulbs and ballasts. Philips and Osram are the leaders. Do not buy anything above 6000K as too much luminal intensity lost. If you want the most output with white/slight yellowish color, get 4100-4300K bulbs. If you want white/slight blue look without sacrificing too much luminal loss, get the Philips 6000K ultinons only. Make sure the base has been modified to H1 and get D2S bulbs and not D2R(have metallic band across bulb). True ultinons have a blue ground bar as seen below and the salt crystals within central chamber is maroon in color. If pics disappear after 1 day which Im sure will happen, go to pics under mact3333 at Elisetalk PhotoGallery.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ATTN: ATYCLB

so the pics disappeared after 1 day again. I remember you said you had to post from RF web storage space a certain way. Can you look at "properties" of my pics and see why it keeps diasppearing after 1 day???. The location does start with "members.roadfly" like you said it should. TIA

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HB, so how did you do that???...Im so comp. inept...:)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mact,
On the post reply page, below the message box (where you type text in), just below the box on left you'll see a small white rect. box with "browse" to the right of it. Click on browse, this will search your computer for the file, when you find the pic you want double left mouse click, then "submit reply"

It'll show up,.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
mact3333,

the bulbs don't seem to be compatible with the connectors that are in the car, how are you going to mount them or am I seeing this all wrong?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I’m curious as to how you’re going to wire the relay wire. Most kits don’t include the relay. It’s my understanding that without it you will fry your wiring within a short while as the HID’s draw much more than the rated power to initially start. Keep in mind that the relay must be connected to the battery.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
NtflBlueLiz said:
mact3333,

the bulbs don't seem to be compatible with the connectors that are in the car, how are you going to mount them or am I seeing this all wrong?

NF, the end of bulbs connect to ballast(the clips look silimilar). There is a open spot(on ballast...see + sign on pic above) for the connectors from car itself(the part that usually connects to OEM bulb itself)...it is plug and play...should take few minutes but exposure and ballast mounting will take awhile...I will either use heavy duty velcro for ballast or use zipties(have used both methods successfuly in past) depending on what I have access to when I remove wheelarch cover.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derek said:
I’m curious as to how you’re going to wire the relay wire. Most kits don’t include the relay. It’s my understanding that without it you will fry your wiring within a short while as the HID’s draw much more than the rated power to initially start. Keep in mind that the relay must be connected to the battery.

I have never used the relay before and have never had any probs...most people just throw that part away, which I will do also. The power draw is only a second or so when ballast fires up but while on, the wattage is only 35W so therefore its alot easier on wires than OEM bulbs, which uses 55W. I have done 4 HID retros and have never used relays.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
mact3333 said:
NF, the end of bulbs connect to ballast(the clips look silimilar). There is a open spot(on ballast...see + sign on pic above) for the connectors from car itself(the part that usually connects to OEM bulb itself)...it is plug and play...should take few minutes but exposure and ballast mounting will take awhile...I will either use heavy duty velcro for ballast or use zipties(have used both methods successfuly in past) depending on what I have access to when I remove wheelarch cover.
how will you secure the bulb to the housing? isn't the connector what holds it in place? Sorry for the stupid questions but I haven't opened mine yet.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NtflBlueLiz said:
how will you secure the bulb to the housing? isn't the connector what holds it in place? Sorry for the stupid questions but I haven't opened mine yet.

you twist it in clockwise, just like you need to do with OEM bulbs...the H1 base is specific for the Elise...all HID bulbs come with the round(like OEM BMW, Audi) P32D base but need need to be modified to fit the different base(ie-9006, 9007, H1, etc). the bad rap with early HID bulbs was because the people modifying the base didnt know what they were doing at first hence the shaky quality but most bulbs are pretty good quality now. Dont buy the cheap Korean bulbs.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One problem with the HID conversions that is still not correct - you are inserting a bulb in where the light is generated in the longitudinal axis into a light fixture with the optics designed for light generated in a lateral axis. The source of the light is not where the optics is designed to work with, so you get light, that although it might be brighter, is not projecting properly - thereby probably causing additional glare on other drivers.

It may be okay for the "I don't give a [email protected] about others", but it might not be legal, and it just may cause problems for other drivers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TimMullen said:
One problem with the HID conversions that is still not correct - you are inserting a bulb in where the light is generated in the longitudinal axis into a light fixture with the optics designed for light generated in a lateral axis. The source of the light is not where the optics is designed to work with, so you get light, that although it might be brighter, is not projecting properly - thereby probably causing additional glare on other drivers.

It may be okay for the "I don't give a [email protected] about others", but it might not be legal, and it just may cause problems for other drivers.

that is why you can aim/adjust the beams just as if they were oem bulbs...have done it 4 times and have never been flashed...HID is not more blinding if aimed correctly...you might argue with me as you have done in past about this subject but this is my opinion...now for legality, well that is a personal choice, just like when you add aftermkt exhaust or go above the speedlimit...with projector housings, the beam cutoff is very sharp and it should be obvious where the beam is illuminating...to categorically say it is not "projecting properly" is just wrong...please reserve judgement until you have done/tried it for yourself ...:)...also, please look at diagrams showing the difference between projector and reflector housing optics...HID is well suited for projector housings and the light pattern is not diffuse like it is for reflectors...for example, have you seen the light cutoff pattern for E36 M3 US housings vs euro ellipsoids...this will show the difference really clearly.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
TimMullen said:
One problem with the HID conversions that is still not correct - you are inserting a bulb in where the light is generated in the longitudinal axis into a light fixture with the optics designed for light generated in a lateral axis.
That's true for H3 based lights, which use a transverse filament, but H1, H7 and H4 all use a longitudinal filament.

There will still be a small mis-match between the arc size in the HID bulbs compared to the filament size in the halogen bulbs and the arc has a somewhat different light distribution across it's lentgh compared to a glowing filament, but usually it's not that obvious.

Projector headlights like used on the Elise usually respond well to HID conversions.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yup Arno - been running mine for over a year now...use em daily, 30K miles all through winter (when you need em most)...no fired wiring, better light than any fancy bulb Ive ever tried...had them aligned at a test centre so they dont dazzle others etc

if you drive a lot in the dark then the way to go. One of the reasons why they are not std fitment over here is that you need self levelling motors and wash/wipe - try getting that on an Elise ;) ...but strangely enough, fo aftermarket fitment, these rules dont apply !

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'll be curious to see how all this fits in the Elise.

From the sound of it, the original H1 connector has to be plugged into the ballast. That may require running longer wires, right? The wires that lead to the H1 bulb are tightly wound with other wires and who know how long the wire actually is once freed from the other bulb wires.

Then the base of the HID bulb will have to be altered to fit the H1 housing, right? I suppose this just requires a little Dremel time????

Mact333, you stated that the H1 bulbs twist in clockwise. This isn't accurate. The H1 bulb only fits in one way due to the shape of the base. Then the spring clips hold the bulb in place so the H1 bulb doesn't secure itself to anything (only held in place by clips).

There's not much room behind the H1 bulb so I'm concerned the larger base of the HID bulb won't fit in the area available.

Hmmm, I guess it must work though since some have already converted their Elises over, right???

I want better lighting but want to be sure I'll be happy with the conversion and that it is as simple as Plug & Play.

thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
raggedy1 said:
I'll be curious to see how all this fits in the Elise.

From the sound of it, the original H1 connector has to be plugged into the ballast. That may require running longer wires, right? The wires that lead to the H1 bulb are tightly wound with other wires and who know how long the wire actually is once freed from the other bulb wires.

Then the base of the HID bulb will have to be altered to fit the H1 housing, right? I suppose this just requires a little Dremel time????

Mact333, you stated that the H1 bulbs twist in clockwise. This isn't accurate. The H1 bulb only fits in one way due to the shape of the base. Then the spring clips hold the bulb in place so the H1 bulb doesn't secure itself to anything (only held in place by clips).

There's not much room behind the H1 bulb so I'm concerned the larger base of the HID bulb won't fit in the area available.

Hmmm, I guess it must work though since some have already converted their Elises over, right???

I want better lighting but want to be sure I'll be happy with the conversion and that it is as simple as Plug & Play.

thanks

no no no...you wont have to re-base the bulb yourself...:)...if you get the H1 kit, you would just push it in and click it in using spring clips(btw, some have spring clips and some have twist in motion and it is dependent on housing units rather than the base of the bulb)if you had to do that yourself, then I wouldnt do this myself cause most of us wouldnt have the ability to do this properly/safely...when I say plug and play, I mean plug and play...the amt of room behind bulb should close to stock bulbs cause the length of HID capsule will go into the projector housing unit and the part that projects posteriorly is 1-2 cms only, which is the same amt of plastic exposure you would see in regular H1 halogen bulb ...perhaps the best way to explain how this is done is to show pics of my MDX from inside the car/hood and I can also put stock bulb back in on one side and leave HID capsule in on other side and take pics...if enough people want to see this, I can take some pics this week when i have time...btw, dont worry about the wire length cause they are usually zip tied with other wires and you can just cut the zip tie to get exposure and free up length of wire.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
mact3333 said:
no no no...you wont have to re-base the bulb yourself...:)...if you get the H1 kit, you would just push it in and click it in using spring clips(btw, some have spring clips and some have twist in motion and it is dependent on housing units rather than the base of the bulb)if you had to do that yourself, then I wouldnt do this myself cause most of us wouldnt have the ability to do this properly/safely...when I say plug and play, I mean plug and play...the amt of room behind bulb should close to stock bulbs cause the length of HID capsule will go into the projector housing unit and the part that projects posteriorly is 1-2 cms only, which is the same amt of plastic exposure you would see in regular H1 halogen bulb ...perhaps the best way to explain how this is done is to show pics of my MDX from inside the car/hood and I can also put stock bulb back in on one side and leave HID capsule in on other side and take pics...if enough people want to see this, I can take some pics this week when i have time...btw, dont worry about the wire length cause they are usually zip tied with other wires and you can just cut the zip tie to get exposure and free up length of wire.
ok, thanks for the reassurance. when are you expecting your elise? i just may wait until you get yours before jumping in/on the HID bandwagon. I don't drive my car much at night anyways...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
raggedy1 said:
ok, thanks for the reassurance. when are you expecting your elise? i just may wait until you get yours before jumping in/on the HID bandwagon. I don't drive my car much at night anyways...
well, I just put in my order few wks ago and was told Feb/March but then again, I heard some have ordered 9 months ago and still havent received their cars yet so who knows when I will get mine...:)...:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts