The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Mact3333, I know you already have a kit standing by, but have you looked at the Seloc kit? Do you have an opinion on this kit as far as the parts and vendors involved? Since you've had success with retrofitting I wanted to hear your opinion.
For 277 euros (delivered) I may jump...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
raggedy1 said:
Mact3333, I know you already have a kit standing by, but have you looked at the Seloc kit? Do you have an opinion on this kit as far as the parts and vendors involved? Since you've had success with retrofitting I wanted to hear your opinion.
For 277 euros (delivered) I may jump...

I tried to see a close up of the kit on his website but couldnt really see it well...Im not concerned about the ballasts but his bulbs are not philips or osrams...but in his defense, he did say they were not coated blue and would warranty them for 12 months...if you want philips bulbs with philips ballast, you can these guys...they have 4300K and true 6000K systems.

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=1

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
here is a pic showing how easy it is to install the HID kit...this is a 6000K kit on my MDX...the white adapter is what usually plugs right into the back of the halogen bulb but this now goes onto ballast and as you can see the other wires coming from ballast connects to wires from the HID bulbs itself.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Nice plug and play ballast....I read that the 4100 K is the USA OE on those cars that have HID and that this color temp is DOT approved FWIW. Does the ballast get hot? It's small enough that it might be able to live under the headlight cover...for minimal wiring changes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stan said:
Nice plug and play ballast....I read that the 4100 K is the USA OE on those cars that have HID and that this color temp is DOT approved FWIW. Does the ballast get hot? It's small enough that it might be able to live under the headlight cover...for minimal wiring changes.

Stan, the ballast doesnt get hot at all and it is very light...I sually use industrial velcro to secure it but if flat surface not available, I have also used zipties in the past...if you have great access like you do on MDX, will take 5 minutes at most to do swap...on elise, it will take longer cause access will be a minor inconveniance.

4100-4300K is OE for most cars cause they use either Philips or Osrams bulbs...no car company uses 6000K's stock...I prefer look of 6000K so thats why I keep buying those kits.....alot of co's like BMW and Audi use the round standard bottoms called P32d base on their HID bulbs...all bulbs come like this from the bulb factory and have to be modified(hence the bad reputation in the past) if used in other applications like the H1, 9006, 9007 and etc...it is true that HID retrofits are illegal but so are aftermkt exhausts and etc...:)...dont think you will be hassled with HIDs if done right in a car like the elise but if your car looks like it belongs in "fast and the furious", thats another story...:).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts