The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving along on the highway and was getting off an exit to another highway and as I was down shifting the shifter shaft broke! I had to pull over and call the wife to bring me my tools... I took apart the console to find this..see pictures.. Me being crazy I decided to shift with just the metal piece/linkage back home.. Of course I'm selling this car and just got it back from a new starter last week.. She hates me because i sold her out for a newer exige.. Oh and it gets worse.. I drove away leaving a tool bag on the side of the road and I realized it a mile down the hwy and by the time I drove back to get them 2 min later ..some A$$hole stopped on the side of the road and took them! FML lol

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
ouch. did the car ever have the shifter recall performed?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it looks like - no. The recall had not been done. IIRC, the hex shaped shafts had to be replaced - but i might be wrong. I'm usually wrong. Is that an early '05??

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know when I went last year to get the oil cooler lines done on recall the dealer said there was an open one for shift kit. I told him I just installed a upgraded LETSLA shift kit and prob wouldnt want to do the factory one.. But maybe it had something to do with the actual shift stick..? The letsla kit is at the transmission area..

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be nice to get it free... Dealer is like 3 hrs away though would be kind of nuts to drive it that far like that ! Lol

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ya know when I went last year to get the oil cooler lines done on recall the dealer said there was an open one for shift kit. I told him I just installed a upgraded LETSLA shift kit and prob wouldnt want to do the factory one.. But maybe it had something to do with the actual shift stick..? The letsla kit is at the transmission area..
The recall was for the gear lever itself, so the LETSLA wouldn't affect anything there, unfortunately.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts
OK I just ordered the LETSLA and new shifter cables for my 05, it was a March 05 delivery so fairly early, and if I remember right it has the hex shaft. I had not heard about a recall for the shifter.

Can you elaborate? Does anyone else make a better shifter? As there is no dealer for 8 hrs from me I cant just take it in.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
OK I just ordered the LETSLA and new shifter cables for my 05, it was a March 05 delivery so fairly early, and if I remember right it has the hex shaft. I had not heard about a recall for the shifter.

Can you elaborate? Does anyone else make a better shifter? As there is no dealer for 8 hrs from me I cant just take it in.
All of the hex shifters are under recall and are potentially bad. Maybe a dealer will be willing to ship the part(s) to you?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is early 05 and its hex ..yeah even if I get parts for free. Just the gas and bs traveling is worth paying my local mech to do or I can tackle probably

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
All of the hex shifters are under recall and are potentially bad. Maybe a dealer will be willing to ship the part(s) to you?

Maybe. Generally dealers don't honor recall or warranty claims when shipping off parts for an unknown (to them) person to install. A b*tch to be sure! but understandable. Part of the price of owning a low volume car with limited dealer network.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Yes - this would be what he was talking about. I think you can check your shifter "shape" through the shift boot. Should be able to feel the shape through the leather.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
2480? cars - '05's...build dates April 2004 - February 2005

Vin range: SCCPC11155HL30002 - SCCPC11105HL32482

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's simple enough you could weld it back together and make it even stronger. But, you'll need a welder, or a friend with one.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Whew!! I thought it was gonna be a car accident for a moment after reading the title. Although, still a bad thing with what happened. Hopefully you can get that fixed soon. I would definitely look into that recall everyone is mentioning to see if it still applies. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good Samaritan called me today saying he has my tools as my name and company topflight heating was written on them... There is good people out there still! And it is a recall item just waiting to see if they will tow me 200 miles to dealer for free...worst case I just drove it around the neighborhood with vicegrips clamped down to linkage lmao!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
that's funny..

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
At least Lotus caught that one early and changed the design. But there still is a weak point there without doing the shifter upgrades that are available.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Some good Samaritan called me today saying he has my tools as my name and company topflight heating was written on them... There is good people out there still! And it is a recall item just waiting to see if they will tow me 200 miles to dealer for free...worst case I just drove it around the neighborhood with vicegrips clamped down to linkage lmao!
So how much is the car for sale now? :panic:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts