The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Lasik last Friday. The freaky part was smelling my corneas burn from the laser. I had a minor setback on Monday when a piece of dust got lodged in the corneal flap and my doctor had to dig it out with tweezers. :eek: But I went back for a checkup yesterday and I'm only the 3rd person in the history of that doctor's office to be able to read 20/10 now. I love it. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Congrats, I had PRK a few years ago and I'm still 20/15. My dad had lasik 3 years ago and is still stable at 20/15. It was a great feeling to throw away my contacts and contact solution.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with the others... I had Computed Tomography LASIK done about 5 months ago. I'm 20/15 in my left eye and 20/10 on my right eye. (My left eye had a higher order of astimatism.) Best decision I've ever made in my life! :)

I highly recommend that people user the Interlase (instead of the Microkeratome) to create the incission on the cornea. The laser means there won't be any particulates left behind. The microkeratome (a mechanical razor) can leave very minute particulates behind that can lead to complications.

Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had my surgery a few months ago by the doctor that did Tiger Woods eyes. I had a pretty bad prescription before so I did not qualify for the "custom" or "wavefront" technology because of the limits set by the FDA. In addition, I had to take a lot of laser time.

I had no problems with the corneal flap or anything but it has taken a while to heal. In addition, one eye will most likely need an "enhancement" (additional laser surgery) to get my vision where it needs to be. I'm just waiting at this point for my vision to stabilize fully before my additional surgery. Because of the non-corrected vision is now well within the FDA limits I may have the custom surgery on this time. I think the custom or wavefront may be the same as the computed tomography mentioned above. I have plenty of corneal thickness so an additional surgery is not a problem.

Even with the complications, it's awesome to not rely on contacts with the inconveniences and discomfort I went through for 25 years.

rtking - My first new car was a charcoal 85 1/2 SVO. I had to wait a long time for the mid year model with the 205hp engine and other upgrades so waiting for my Elise isn't new to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You guys are nuts... then again, I squint and my eyes water whenever something happens to somebody else's eyes on television :)

-Winston, who will never get any eye surgery unless

(a) it's mandatory for sight; or
(b) I can be unconscious during the surgery AND the risk of complications is practically nil.

P.S. Of course, my prescription is less than a point in each eye and I just started wearing glasses full time two years ago. I'm sure you guys have been suffering for a lot longer time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Carl, I had The Laser Eye Center do my eyes also. Not the same doctor as Tiger Woods, but the same center using the same equipment. The TLC center I went to was in Newport Beach, CA.

I also had terrible vision with astigmatism and they warned me that I may need to have an enhancement due to the level of correction and the maximum correction the FDA would allow. But honestly, it's been so good that I can't imagine having a correction! My eyesight is actually quite crisp! It does take about 1.5 months for the eyes to really settle down and most of the "halos" to go away. I almost have no halo-ing after 5 months, though nigh time vision is not quite a crisp as daytime vision.

Elise content: ;) I wanted LASIK because I was tired of contacts, eye infections, glasses, etc. Plus I'm sure I would drive the Elise with the roof off almost all of the time, so I would like to be able to wear sunglasses and not have any fear of side winds blowing my contacts out of my eyes.

Wow, those '85.5 SVOs are very rare! I know they're sought after. Admittedly, I've had my '84 SVO for 16 years (bought it used in 1988) but I think I'll be selling it soon. I need to make space in the garage for the Elise. The Elise will out-handle the SVO, and my 2003 Mustang Mach 1 out-accelerates it. And my daily driver (1997 Audi A4 Quattro w/Eibach springs, Neuspeed 19mm rear bar and induction mods) works well as a comfortable and capable daily driver.

Bob

·
Registered
971 Posts
slope said:
Congrats, I had PRK a few years ago and I'm still 20/15. My dad had lasik 3 years ago and is still stable at 20/15. It was a great feeling to throw away my contacts and contact solution.
Good thing you chose PRK, since LASIK is an instant disqualifier for UPT. I'd like to get it done, but would have to go through the whole Air Force program, and I don't feel like the minimum of 4 months off flying status just yet. I'm proof that you can have 20/200 vision and still get into (and finish) UPT.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
rtking said:

Wow, those '85.5 SVOs are very rare! I know they're sought after. Admittedly, I've had my '84 SVO for 16 years (bought it used in 1988) but I think I'll be selling it soon. I need to make space in the garage for the Elise. The Elise will out-handle the SVO, and my 2003 Mustang Mach 1 out-accelerates it. And my daily driver (1997 Audi A4 Quattro w/Eibach springs, Neuspeed 19mm rear bar and induction mods) works well as a comfortable and capable daily driver.

Bob
Bob...yes the 85.5 were/are very rare. I think less than 500 were made. It was a very nice handling for the times and I kept it until I was T-boned by some teenager and the repairs and overall reliability weren't as I would have liked them. I traded it for a Volkswagen Corrado.

I have the same issue with the fleet issue. I have a 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, a pretty heavily modified 2003 Subaru WRX, a Ford Expedition and a beater '94 Saab 900SE. As we only have two drivers, it's kind of ridiculous! I think the beater Saab will be gone to make room for the Elise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts